Casual, elegant and rugged CW explorer watch

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Would you be interested in a CW watch like this?

Yes
56%
No
32%
Maybe
13%

Total votes: 104

nordwulf

Casual, elegant and rugged CW explorer watch

Post by nordwulf »

This topic has come up before but Kip suggested to put this in a separate thread. So here it is. I submitted this question for the recent video chat with CW:
nordwulf wrote:Are there any plans for 38-41mm non-diver/no rotating bezel sport watches as an (affordable) alternative to the Rolex Explorer, Omega Aqua Terra, Tudor Black Bay 41 and North Flag, Sinn 556, Damasko DA-34 and so on?
The answer was there are no plans and referred to the upcoming C65 GMT 41mm. There was also a question about a field watch but that type of watch is similar to the watches discussed here.
Kip wrote:Chris said he is willing to be convinced to at least investigate the possibility If there is enough interest and reasons for CW to do so.
So perhaps there is a possibility we can convince CW there is interest for a sports watch. A casual, elegant but rugged sports watch that provides an affordable alternative to these well-known watches.

These are suggested specifications and designs and I am sure there will be debate on what it should or shouldn't have. This is just my wish list.

- 39 to 41mm
- light-weight: about 80g for head only and 150g on bracelet
- low height: prefer 11mm or less but 12mm is ok.
- very legible during the day and night
- CW word mark or twin flags at 12
- no rotating bezel or fixed bezels with any markings.
- some antimagnetic, antishock and low/high temperature operating range
- Selitta or ETA movement
- regular lug shapes so you can easily change bracelets and 2-piece/nato straps
- unobtrusive but legible date window
- reasonable water resitance for swimming, rafting, kayaking, snorkeling etc so 10 bar or higher.
- should be mostly toolish looking but some shiny bits like polished surfaces and dial elements are ok
- bracelet with sliding mechanism in buckle
- some kind of case hardening to keep it looking nice for a long time
- case design and hands same as the C65 but smaller

golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Casual, elegant and rugged CW sports watch

Post by golfjunky »

I’m in, no date would be my pref.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I thought CW already tried this with the C65 Trident Classic....
Richard
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

downer wrote:I thought CW already tried this with the C65 Trident Classic....
I'd agree. A sports/field watch has to have to additional attributes, eg Seiko Alpinist (much loved) or Prospex Landmasters to differentiate I would have thought.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Skipper
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 12

Post by Skipper »

Much as I like your designs and particularlly the green one, I feel this niche is perfectly filled for me with the C65 Vintage.
I think howewer that your series can appeal to a younger market... and this seem to be an important goal for the CWL politics.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ And I think there is plenty of scope for expansion with the C65 Vintage.
I'd really love to own one, but I consider the black too similar to my GS.

An inverse colour scheme would be very welcome and I'm surprised it's not been done yet.
Beige/Cream dial with black lume blocks and hands would work well with the Vintage theme me thinks.

Maybe throw olive green, burgundy and dark grey/blue dials into the fold for good measure. Would make a lovely quintet!
Ryan
politel
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by politel »

Hi Nordwulf,

very nice design, very sporty and youthful
I would like her.
41mm :thumbup:
Rainer

wanted:
C9 Me109 Single Pusher Chronograph
C8 Flyer Mk II DLC
C8 Power Reserve Chronometer DLC
C11 Makaira Titanium Extreme 1000
C65 Trident Diver SH21 LE
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

downer wrote:I thought CW already tried this with the C65 Trident Classic....
And a fantastic watch it is too. All I can presume, by Chris W's response, is that they have tried with non rotating bezels but sales in that genre sway towards rotating bezels. A shame, and I did say in the chat that I am disappointed, but it is what it is. There are plenty of other options out there, but not many with the quality of CW in the price range.
Remus
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Remus »

I like those designs. A variation on the C65 classic though better in my opinion. I would consider a model along the lines of your first design. I miss not having a date on my BB41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remus
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

The C65 is nice but a dress watch with the boxed crystal and vintage lume. The exposed boxed crystal is not really the best for a rugged watch. And it seems more like a watch for older people, especially at that smaller size. The original C65 was nice but just too big at 43mm.

It's interesting to see so far the majority here don't have a need for arugged outdoors watch. The Damasko DA-34 would be the model to aim for but that's probably beyond the capabilities of what CW can produce. It's cool to see how much technology they put in their watches but it's much more expensive than the C65.

They used to have to a similar watch with the C11 but maybe that wasn't a big seller either?

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

I'll post a cream dial, black lume variant once I get chance to finish. Requires a bit more work.

Ryan
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

^^^^ nice but imo the hands are a horrible shape ^^^
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

This thread is not about the current C65 vintage with different dial colors but about a new and different type of watch. Any suggestions for new designs?
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

nordwulf wrote:This thread is not about the current C65 vintage with different dial colors but about a new and different type of watch. Any suggestions for new designs?
Sorry Frank. If I'd known the rules, I'd have used your new case design from the top post, then changed the dial.
Did I mention the variants I posted were 40mm without a box crystal? :wink:

I was merely pointing out that something could probably be done with their current ranges that would possibly extend into the "casual, elegant and rugged" category.

But sure, I'll have a go at coming up with something completely new :thumbup:
Ryan
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

No rules, really. A 40mm version of the C65 without all the vintage retro stuff would actually be a good starting point. And move that thingy from 9 to 12 and we already have a winner. :)

Looking forward to new or modified designs you may come up with. :thumbup: