Buying to Sell, a personal insight

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Buying to Sell, a personal insight

Post by kiter65 »

Please correct me if I’ve miss understood this.....but is a member of a few months questioning the credibility of two very respectable, longstanding members :?
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

kiter65 wrote:Please correct me if I’ve miss understood this.....but is a member of a few months questioning the credibility of two very respectable, longstanding members :?
I don't have any problems with being questioned however long established I am, I think they're fairly reasonable questions otherwise I wouldn't have bothered replying.

There are advocates from the FB page who are aware of this thread and have been in contact with me, so if they want to post the OP, it can easily be posted as a shortcut, then they can have another pop at me!
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Interesting read. Just reinforces my attitude on this type of entrepreneurial enterprise, “can’t be bovvered, too much effort”. That’s probably why I’ll never be loaded! That, plus watches and cars! :lol:
Steve.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

I've previously been critical of this practice but have bought 2 CW watches off of ebay previously.
My current view is a tad more blase to the situation.
Whilst it bumps the price of watches for genuine collectors, and robs them of the 60-day return opportunity, it can benefit the buyer from not having to return watches that arent 100% correct. i.e the seller will of already inspected the watch and you get to see detailed photo's of the exact watch you're purchasing.
Both Tridents I bought off eBay arrived absolutely pristine and with no issues. This hasn't always been the case when buying directly from CW.

Having recently advertised 2 "old logo" Tridents in the sales corner, (after owning for almost a year) I received absolutely NO INTEREST in them from the forum yet both sold for MORE MONEY on ebay and both within 48 hours of being listed so I fully understand why people choose to go straight to ebay.
If you get the pricing right, they will sell quickly. (My Tag Kirium languished in the SC for about 6 months but also sold in less than a week for considerably more money than it was advertised on here for. )

The way some eBay adverts are worded doesn't always sit right with me. They are often worded like "Saving you £300" when in actual fact the watch is maybe £200 dearer than it could have been obtained for directly. I think if the seller is honest, and potential buyers know the facts, (that its a sale watch being sold on for a small profit) then it's fair enough.

As to the facebook v's forum debate. I've not had a facebook account for numerous years now but it seems not much has changed. Facebook is no doubt much more accessible to a far greater number of people and a certain percentage of those, or any section of society, will be morons. So I'm not remotely surprised Tyke received more backlash there than here. That's not a criticism of the facebook group, just a reflection of society as a whole. I don't think it needs to be a competition. We are all watch enthusiasts.
CHRIS
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

DISJT wrote:I've previously been critical of this practice but have bought 2 CW watches off of ebay previously.
My current view is a tad more blase to the situation.
Whilst it bumps the price of watches for genuine collectors, and robs them of the 60-day return opportunity, it can benefit the buyer from not having to return watches that arent 100% correct. i.e the seller will of already inspected the watch and you get to see detailed photo's of the exact watch you're purchasing.
Both Tridents I bought off eBay arrived absolutely pristine and with no issues. This hasn't always been the case when buying directly from CW.

Having recently advertised 2 "old logo" Tridents in the sales corner, (after owning for almost a year) I received absolutely NO INTEREST in them from the forum yet both sold for MORE MONEY on ebay and both within 48 hours of being listed so I fully understand why people choose to go straight to ebay.
If you get the pricing right, they will sell quickly. (My Tag Kirium languished in the SC for about 6 months but also sold in less than a week for considerably more money than it was advertised on here for. )

The way some eBay adverts are worded doesn't always sit right with me. They are often worded like "Saving you £300" when in actual fact the watch is maybe £200 dearer than it could have been obtained for directly. I think if the seller is honest, and potential buyers know the facts, (that its a sale watch being sold on for a small profit) then it's fair enough.
I too think it fair enough that prices on Ebay are a little higher than the forum, there is a roughly 10% selling expense including Paypal, and conversely for the buyer there are guarantees.

I do purchase judiciously on Ebay, mainly because the market is larger, but the forum SC is my first stopping point if I am looking for something.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok »

Ian fair play on a good experiment and the charity winning at the final goal post ;) love it :)
Steve

C9 Blue LE /C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection
Josh Ball

Post by Josh Ball »

To buy and sell watches you need to have great knowledge and many people have lost lots of money by doing this. I recommend to anyone you is thinking of doing this, to research before going into it blindly.