Trident GMT - Is my GMT hand wrong?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Trident GMT - Is my GMT hand wrong?

Postby jpc763 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:49 pm

I just picked this up recently and am wondering if my GMT hand is in the wrong position. Is seems to be a half hour off?

What do you all think?
jpc763

Re: Trident GMT - Is my GMT hand wrong?

Postby josbrownlie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Yup looks like it's pointing to 1900hrs to me. They usually click around by half hour jumps. At least that's what my steinhart GMT does. Sorry don't have a CW GMT (yet)
Festina (can't remember), Casio Edifice Wave Ceptor, Garmin 235, Breitling B-1, CWL C9 Big Day Date x2, C60 Trident 300, C9 Jumping Hour Mk III, C9 Moonphase, Steinhart Ocean 1
josbrownlie
Expert
Expert

CW-watches: 5

Postby Mikkei4 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:22 pm

I don't have a CW GMT either so I may be talking out of my hat here but I have just looked at the C60 GMT instruction manual on the CW site to check what it states there.

Seems to me that the GMT hand is showing at approx 10mins before 1900 (i.e.1850ish) whereas the minute/hour hands are at 2030 so, depending upon your location and what time difference you want it to show, it could be wrong (Have you set it up since you obtained it?)

I realise this might be an obvious suggestion but wait till your local time is at the hour and then change the GMT hand to what time difference you want it to show and then see if it stays in step for 24hours or so.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

CW-watches: 0

Postby Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Each minute on the chapter is 24 min on the GMT hand. Yours is showing about 1845. Check the setting procedure in your manual. I think there’s an instruction for synchronising the hands.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
Amor Vincit Omnia

CW-watches: 6

Postby downer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Suggest you manually wind the hands so the minute hour is at 12 and therefore, the hour hand is exactly at an hour mark. Then check where the GMT hand is pointing. Of course it should also be exactly at an hour mark (based on 24 hour scale).

If it is out of alignment, it is (unfortunately) not something that can be corrected by the user. It does happen with this movement - regardless of watch brand.
Richard
downer

CW-watches: 2

Postby jpc763 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 pm

downer wrote:Suggest you manually wind the hands so the minute hour is at 12 and therefore, the hour hand is exactly at an hour mark. Then check where the GMT hand is pointing. Of course it should also be exactly at an hour mark (based on 24 hour scale).

If it is out of alignment, it is (unfortunately) not something that can be corrected by the user. It does happen with this movement - regardless of watch brand.

Well it appears to be slightly off. That’s a bummer. Is this a warranty repair?

jpc763

Postby KevinB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 am

Mine was a warranty repair. Happened about 6 months after I purchased it new. Since the repair it had been fine (now 18 months on). I travel a lot for work so this watch is perfect for me.
KevinB

Postby downer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 am

Yes, it’s a simple fix under warranty. Some people say the gmt hand can get out of alignment due to a knock - often caused in transit.

I think if you send the picture to CW, they will sort it out.
Richard
downer

Postby Richard D » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:27 am

Happened to my C60 GMT, I hadn’t even worn the watch when on examination in the CW showroom I noticed the misaligned GMT hand. As I wanted this particular watch CW repaired it in just under four weeks. Since the watch has preformed exceptionally well. Hope you have your watch repaired and returned as quickly as I did.
Richard
Richard D
Forumgod
Forumgod

Postby jpc763 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:38 pm

I am in contact with CW about repair. Thanks for the feedback.
jpc763

Postby rcherryuk » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Apparently the GMT hand is simply force fitted on the stem, so a sudden shock can make it move on the stem. I know one CW hero on here that had his fixed, only to knock it on the doorframe when leaving No. 1 only to realise it had moved again :shock:
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

CW-watches: 8

Postby nige » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:30 am

Just wanted to put it out there, I had the same issue with mine where mine was off by about 7 mins (can't remember if it was +/-) for both the GMT and hour hands. I sent it in and when they received it, they said that it is within tolerance so they sent mine back without correcting the issue.
Tudor Black Bay 36, Wenger Field
nige
Senior
Senior

CW-watches: 1

Postby kygan00 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 am

I was looking forward to getting my first CW GMT. Now im having second thoughts
kygan00

Postby Amor Vincit Omnia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 am

kygan00 wrote:I was looking forward to getting my first CW GMT. Now im having second thoughts

The vast majority of owners (whose watches work perfectly) tend not to post the fact. So, here you go...perfect.

Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
Amor Vincit Omnia

CW-watches: 6

Postby H0rati0 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
kygan00 wrote:I was looking forward to getting my first CW GMT. Now im having second thoughts

The vast majority of owners (whose watches work perfectly) tend not to post the fact. So, here you go...perfect.

quod erat demonstrandum!

nik
"It is better to practice a little, than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
H0rati0
Senior
Senior

Next

Return to General Discussion