67%

Total votes: 54

DillyDilly
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Forum and/or Facebook

Post by DillyDilly »

Is this forum or the Facebook group the way forward for CW fandom?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Forum and/or Facebook

Post by downer »

Why does it need to be either one or the other?
Richard
addi564
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 12

Post by addi564 »

I use both to be honest. If i am honest i prefer facebook for instant stuff and the forum to find stuff if that makes sense

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
C60 Trident 38mm on rubber and GMT on bracelet
C6 Kingfisher black dial on rubber and white dial on bracelet
C5 FLE and C3 FLE
C65 Vintage on bracelet
Tag Heuer F1 Calibre 5
Breitling Superocean 42
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Both seem fine for the manner in which they are utilised by their respective membership.

I find the constant comparisons between Forum and FB far, far more tiresome than discussion about placement and style of logos and word marks.

I don’t see any reason why folk don’t just join one, the other or both and just get on with it. It’s really not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

There are plenty of different platforms of communication and discussion in this digital age...they can co-exist.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Both are equally valid and tend to be used and read in different ways. Any one-trick ponies who can’t appreciate that need to wake up, take off the blinkers, canter around a bit and enjoy the fruits of the apple orchard, to extrapolate the equine metaphor.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I rarely use and don't particularly like Facebook.
But I stand by my new mantra "I have free choice"
That's why I voted for both.
I really enjoy visiting the forum, and I may visit the Facebook group one day and enjoy it too.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
DillyDilly
Senior
Senior

Post by DillyDilly »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Both are equally valid and tend to be used and read in different ways. Any one-trick ponies who can’t appreciate that need to wake up, take off the blinkers, canter around a bit and enjoy the fruits of the apple orchard, to extrapolate the equine metaphor.
Being mindfull of pulling-up just short of hurdling the Faceforum fence
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

I apply the same principle to places to talk about watches as I do to owning watches. More=good. The age old formula also applies to both. O=C+1

Where O=Optimum number and C=Current number.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I don’t see a problem with either platform. Both are populated by knowledgeable and likeable members.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Each to their own, some people prefer one over the other, some people use both. I haven’t voted as I think the question should be which you prefer, not which is the way forward for ‘fandom’. If the forum ceased to exist so would my discussion of CW watches, I’d just move to one of the general watch forums of which I have accounts but rarely post as I prefer here. Under no circumstance would i ever set a facebook account up.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote:Each to their own, some people prefer one over the other, some people use both.
Absolutely right, Chris.

Thinking about my own use here, I belong to both but use them in very different ways. My Friends on Facebook arose out of common acquaintance. They are, typically, people I grew up with, went to school with, was with at university, have worked with and in some cases even taught many years ago. There are people I have met on holiday and pilgrimage, and there are people with whom I share grandparents and great grandparents. But the point is that these are all people I have known and met and spent time with at various points in my life. There are very few I haven’t met, and I have connected with them through the forum, interestingly enough. Watches are never discussed – most of my friends would have no interest whatsoever. Likewise, I have unfollowed some of them because I’m not interested in what they post: reams of toddler pictures, links to shopping sites, socio-political campaigning, cottage-cheese philosophy and so forth. But they are still people I know. I belong to the Facebook group but rarely check in or post, and I have turned off notifications because my inbox and newsfeed were getting swamped with pics of CWs.

The forum (I belong to 2 of them but this is my main one) is a beast of different ilk, born out of a shared interest. Like almost everyone else I came here through an interest in watches and a discovery of the CW brand. Sure, we talk about other things – some of us more than others – but it remains the place where I come to engage in discussion on watches as well as following the other things that people post about, if I am interested. Although I call many people on the forum friends in a way, it is different because with very few exceptions I have never met them. I suppose I have actually met perhaps a couple of dozen at GTG events and SQP. But for me this will always be the place to talk about watches. Facebook is for other stuff as far as I am concerned.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Is anyone on the CW enthusiasts MySpace group?
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

hughesyn wrote:Is anyone on the CW enthusiasts MySpace group?
I absolutely REFUSE to go on MySpace. I mean, the government is spying on everyone there... You have to be MAD to go on it. Image

However, work is well advanced on this system which will be introduced next week

I use both and like both. FB for fast, easy and casual interaction, here more for researching and/or opinions. I must say that the FB group seems to be more fun these days.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
JaseRicco
Junior
Junior

Post by JaseRicco »

I literally just created a FB account solely for the purpose of keeping up with the news regarding CWL, so by default I chose Forum. But I feel both can exist side by side which is why I voted both.