C3 - the evolution...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: C3 - the evolution...

Post by Watchamacallit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am

Nothing to strongly disagree on but as a owner and fan of the C3 lineup my thoughts are:
  • C3 MK1 cream dial is a very nice looking and desirable watch. Though I think the color of the dial has almost as much to do with its appeal as the sunken dial. IMO the black C3 MK1 is not any more exciting than the charcoal C3 MK2.
  • C3 MK2 is quite similar to the Mk1 overall. Personally I prefer its 39mm case and 18mm strap as it gives the watch more prominence on the wrist, The lack of sunken dial dresses it up one notch, which could either be a plus or minus depending on your usage. It shares the same dial layout with its nickel Arabic numerals which are the pleasing highlight of the dial.
  • C3 MK3 was a big change. I never warmed up to the dial as it seemed too much like the the C5 Mk3. But found the stacked chronograph dial interesting and worthy of consideration.
  • Grand Tourer looks quite attractive at first glance. Though it has some busyness from the tachymeter that I am not sure I want and unsymmetrical hour markers. I think the blue version is miles ahead of the white one since the panda characteristic stands out rather that the chapter ring.

barraf

Post by barraf » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:24 am

So I received my first ever Christopher Ward, and this is C3 Grand Tourer.

I have very mixed feelings, to be honest. The watch itself is great. Great quality case, great dial with nice pressed digits and four black dots is a nice touch. I absolutely love the font used. Brown leather strap is great as well and goes well with the watch.

The biggest issue for now, and I am not yet sure I will be able to live with it, is that sub-dials are off-center upwards. This by itself is not bad, but together with the logo it means that the upper half of the watch is very busy, while the lower part is an empty wasteland. It is not extremely pronounced, but it is just enough to feel a little uncomfortable.

I don't know whether this issue will feel the same on a blue version, as I have the white one.

Now I have 60 days to decide whether I will be able to live with it and it becomes a special feature of this watch, or this imbalance is fatal and kills the watch...

P.S.: I tried to play with a picture in photo-editor and move the logo from up center to bottom center replacing "chronograph" and it actually looks better. The upper part gets a little bit of air and the lower part gets something more substantial in.

statto
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 11

Post by statto » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 am

I bought the all black Mk1 chronograph in this week's sale as it makes a great collection companion to the cream face gold version I picked up in 2015 from eBay. My thoughts on the changes down the years are very much in line with the OP, with the Mk1 being the class act - so much more character than the later versions.

The GT had escaped my notice until now so deserves further investigation.
Cheers

Paul

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 6
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:08 am

The OP had a Black Mk1 and sold it. I thought about that one but I was wearing my Speedy at the time. Glad it went to a good home. :thumbup:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

649tom

Post by 649tom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm

barraf wrote:So I received my first ever Christopher Ward, and this is C3 Grand Tourer.

I have very mixed feelings, to be honest. The watch itself is great. Great quality case, great dial with nice pressed digits and four black dots is a nice touch. I absolutely love the font used. Brown leather strap is great as well and goes well with the watch.

The biggest issue for now, and I am not yet sure I will be able to live with it, is that sub-dials are off-center upwards. This by itself is not bad, but together with the logo it means that the upper half of the watch is very busy, while the lower part is an empty wasteland. It is not extremely pronounced, but it is just enough to feel a little uncomfortable.

I don't know whether this issue will feel the same on a blue version, as I have the white one.

Now I have 60 days to decide whether I will be able to live with it and it becomes a special feature of this watch, or this imbalance is fatal and kills the watch...

P.S.: I tried to play with a picture in photo-editor and move the logo from up center to bottom center replacing "chronograph" and it actually looks better. The upper part gets a little bit of air and the lower part gets something more substantial in.

Can you post up some close up pics please buddy?

garsy69
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by garsy69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Any thoughts on the C30 variant of Mk2?

There are a couple in the sale as it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C60 Trident COSC Red bezel
C30 COSC LE 409/500
C9 5DA COSC 40mm White
C8 Pilot Mk1
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial COSC
Seiko 5 SNZG15K1
Casio G Shock MTG-1500B
Bulova 96A108
Bulova Lunar Pilot Black

barraf

Post by barraf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm

649tom wrote: Can you post up some close up pics please buddy?
I think I am getting used to this kind of asymmetry and this watch will stay. Here are some pictures.
Sir Thomas Wyatt Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes

Post by Kip » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 am

^^^ We could use some of these photos in the Reference Gallery.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"