Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Maybe

Post by scooter »

I have madness in my madness.

The look and the movement is important to me as is how it fits on my wrist.

Value for money is essential and I try to consider long term reliability and wearability.

If it passes all those tests, I might, just might, consider buying it.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Re: CW buying strategy

Post by TempusFugit »

I like to buy watches that are interesting, particularly with respect the movement. Some historical importance turns me on too. I like an interesting complication so I have a JH, a quarter repeater, a few chronographs and some interesting quartz ones too. A new interesting complication in a CW watch may cause me to become poorer but it depends on what it is. I'm thinking one must be due soon to keep the likes of me interested.
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

My CW journey (you can decide whether it counts as a buying strategy! :lol:) has been as follows:

- Saw weekend paper print advertising about the brand; interested but didn’t follow up.
- Many years later decided I needed another watch (I didn’t, but anyway). Found CW again, did some research, looked at the forum.
- November 2013 bought a C20, because it looked something different. Paid full price.
- December 2013 a C60-43mm, because I thought I needed a toolwatch beater. 15% discount. Bought during a showroom visit, in which I tried on at least one watch from each type in the entire range, to get an idea of size and quality.
- December 2013 a C61-38mm, because I thought I also needed a smaller diver and also perhaps that Mrs nbg would wear it. 15% discount.
- January 2014 a C9 because I thought I needed a large blue dial watch and was caught up in the post Christmas sale frenzy. 30% NN discount.
- February 2014 ok look they do special FLE models and have some left. Surely I need one of those, the C10 FLE. Paid full price.
- March 2015 those C11 models look a bit different and now they are in the sale. 50% discount, yes please.
- July 2015 oh new improved range of Tridents with ceramic bezel inserts, retiring this month, more time for holidays. Need a holiday GMT to wear, in case I go somewhere where I am not comfortable wearing a better non CW GMT. Also like the orange GMT hand. A Trident GMT-43mm with a 15% discount.
- July 2015 attended a CW archive event in Henley. Many one off prototypes for sale. Got to the end of what was a good evening and thought It would be rude not to buy something. Bought a one off orange ceramic bezel Trident Pro 600 43mm. Price I think equivalent to 15% off a standard model
- November 2015 picked up my previously ordered C5 FLE during a visit to CW. Another watch that I justified to myself as a “retirement year” watch, having initially intended to pick it up in July when I retired, but delivery of the watches was later than expected. Paid full price.
- November 2015 decided that was it and I would stick with 9 CW watches.
- July 2017 clearance sale of many models, including blue bezel, blue dial Tridents. Didn’t buy at the time, but ended up buying a Trident Pro 600 38mm blue/blue direct from a forum friend at the 50% discount clearance price.

In hindsight the above was certainly not a measured or sensible CW buying strategy, given that at the time I was buying watches from other brands that I knew would be worn far more than any of the CWs.

Completely bonkers, but thought it worth sharing because it does illustrate just how easy it was to be swept along with buying numerous CWs. I blame the forum! :lol:

Fortunately I have adopted a more considered and sensible buying strategy with the other brands that I have.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

First CW I bought was for Mrs O - a Victoria, got myself a C60 Trident Classic (Orange bezel) in the sale and then saw the C60 Trident GMT (Red bezel) in the sale and got that. No strategy as such but just about to start a new job so may celebrate with a C60 Trident GMT in Bronze when they arrive.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
Czechia
Senior
Senior

Post by Czechia »

nbg wrote:My CW journey (you can decide whether it counts as a buying strategy! :lol:) has been as follows:

- July 2015 attended a CW archive event in Henley. Many one off prototypes for sale. Got to the end of what was a good evening and thought It would be rude not to buy something. Bought a one off orange ceramic bezel Trident Pro 600 43mm. Price I think equivalent to 15% off a standard model

Neil
A CW archive event? Ohhh that sounds interesting, how often and when do they have these?
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Czechia wrote:
nbg wrote:My CW journey (you can decide whether it counts as a buying strategy! :lol:) has been as follows:

Neil
A CW archive event? Ohhh that sounds interesting, how often and when do they have these?
Not sure how often, but notification of the event went to those on the CW marketing email list. I know there was one the following year, but I was unable to attend.

Link to a thread re. the one I attended. Some of the pics are no longer showing, but any that I took on the night are. As is often the case, the thread went off track at an early stage :lol:, but if you wade through you will find pics of some watches. :)

Any unsold on the evening were made available to forumites, before going on the public part of the CW website.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK