Problem with Grand Malvern C1 accuracy

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Adrien69
Junior
Junior

Problem with Grand Malvern C1 accuracy

Post by Adrien69 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi All,

I just got a brand new COSC C1 Grand malvern yesterday.
Full charge has been made out of the box but it's been less than 24 hours and it is already running 1 minute late! :shock:
I have been using the WatchCheck android app and checked every 6 hours since I charged it.
Took - 37s within the first 9 hours so 4s/h (unworn - during the night)
Now it's running 59s late after 20h, so that's an average 3s or you could also see that it lost 2s/h during the last 12 hours.
Clearly, things getting "better" but far from acceptable as I see it.
Is there any chance that it could be due to some kind of "break-in" period or should I already start considering sending it back to CW? I do not believe that much in the break in as it should have already occured for the COSC test at least. :?

Any similar experience on your side guys? First bad day and then OK? Nothing very critical but that's always a shame to consider sending back a toy you just got... Especially due to a quite obvious quality control issue. :thumbdown:

ryamam
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Re: Problem with Grand Malvern C1 accuracy

Post by ryamam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:01 am

The box includes COSC certification, so I don't think there should be a break in period. You should contact CW.

Thermexman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 am

I’ve worried before too, when newly acquired watches have been way off, on first arriving. I was told that it was due to the watch needing to settle down after a traumatic trip through the post. I’ve found that they’ve all settled down after a few days. I’m not saying that you don’t have a problem but I’d certainly advocate giving it some time to settle down. I’m sure others could back me up here ? If it doesn’t settle, then give CW a call. They’ll regulate it for you.
Steve.

Adrien69
Junior
Junior

Post by Adrien69 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 am

Thermexman wrote:I’ve worried before too, when newly acquired watches have been way off, on first arriving. I was told that it was due to the watch needing to settle down after a traumatic trip through the post. I’ve found that they’ve all settled down after a few days. I’m not saying that you don’t have a problem but I’d certainly advocate giving it some time to settle down. I’m sure others could back me up here ? If it doesn’t settle, then give CW a call. They’ll regulate it for you.
Thank you both for your feedback. I have also ordered a demagnetizer on amazon, never know. I will update this thread in any case, but the delay has already been dived by 2 between first 12 hours and the folling ones. I hope it will go ahead on this trend, still a long way to COSC! :yawn:

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Magnetised watches usually run fast, not slow.

Will not hurt to check it though. Have you got a compass?

Guy
C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier |C7 Chrono
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 PR&M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x5 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300&P'type |C65 Diver Khaki & P'type |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF

Adrien69
Junior
Junior

Post by Adrien69 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 am

Quick update here as it might help others!
Quite unbelievable but my watch ran 1:30m late during the first 2 days and is now running with a single late second since then (6days)! :shock:

So, whatever the reason was (and I don't know if I will ever know), there is a chance that a watch being not accurate during its first running days can be back on tracks on its own and within the COSC. :thumbup:

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am

This has been noted at times before. It seems that mechanical movements sometimes need a few days to run themselves in, to settle down and to find their running equilibrium. It sounds as though yours may have done that but you should continue to monitor it.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 am

Run in times seem to be a mystery. in theory it should not be necessary as they have been running during testing. That said it seems to matter in a lot of instances which is why we keep saying to give it a few days to settle in.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Adrien69
Junior
Junior

Post by Adrien69 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Sure, you are both right, but I admit I was not very confident that those few days of waiting would give the expected results. Obviously I was wrong, and I am glad I was. :o)

Adrien69
Junior
Junior

Post by Adrien69 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Back again on the same issue and I think I do now understand what happened and I am not very satisfied. :evil:

When I first got the watch, I tried to fully wind it with the crown (more than 100 turns) but the second hand would not start. So I shook it a bit to have the rotor moving and then the second hand finally started. I thought it had something to do with the fact it was new & needed this little push to start. For the first 12 hours (unworn), the watch already ran 1 minute late but as soon as I worn it, accuracy improved to finally reach COSC within a couple of days. That was the original reason for the present topic.

But something new happened.

I left the watch unworn for 3 days and then wind it more than a hundred turns without moving the watch. So it should have been ready for another 5 days. Result: it started to slow down (average -30s / day) for the following 2 days. Then I wound it again and it stopped the very same night. :problem:

I guess the conclusion here is that the manual winding through the crown is not working at all. I have made a hereunder video of the watch stopped. Second hand doesn’t start over no matter how many crown turns I make, but starts over when I use the rotor to wind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZAvYj6sDQ

So, watch is now going back to CW, I just hope it will be handled within the 60 days exchange policy, not repaired within 3 months... :?

To be continued. :thumbdown:

ryamam
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by ryamam » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:47 pm

I think you are right. Man. The quality should never happen to a watch with that price tag. Keep us posted!

quark
Senior
Senior

Post by quark » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:04 pm

I have had a look at your youtube video. It looks to me as if you are winding the watch in the wrong direction. Surely, when looking at the face, you should wind in the clockkwise direction. It looks like you are winding anti clockwise. No wonder it doesn't work. Sorry if I have got the wrong impression, but that is what it looks like to me.

MiniMpi
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 18

Post by MiniMpi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:16 pm

I agree with quark, you are winding it the WRONG way.
It HAS to be wound clockwise for it to work.
Please try this before sending it back and let us know how it goes.
C60 Ombré #001/300, C7 Prototype, C11 Elite, C7 Bluebird, C70 Ascari, C65 MK1 LE, C60 316L Yellow, C9-JH-MK3, C9-40-5DA, C600-IPB, C8-KVKT-MK2, C5-37H3H1-SBB, C60-43-GMT-SWKS, C60-43-A-SKRS, C60-TI-V2, C8 UTC, C8 Flyer MK2, C65 Trident Diver, Rolex 912.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 pm

quark wrote:I have had a look at your youtube video. It looks to me as if you are winding the watch in the wrong direction. Surely, when looking at the face, you should wind in the clockkwise direction. It looks like you are winding anti clockwise. No wonder it doesn't work. Sorry if I have got the wrong impression, but that is what it looks like to me.
Je crois qu’il a raison et que dans le vidéo vous tourniez la couronne dans le sens anti-horaire. Pour effectuer le remontage, tournez-la dans le sens horaire pour 30 ou 40 tours. Dans l’autre sens on ne fait que tourner le rochet, ce qui n’a aucun effet sur le ressort. Bonne chance.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:01 pm

From the Owners Manual;-

The crown should sit flush to the case (position 1)
in order to maintain water resistance.
To re-power
the watch after a period of non-use, simply wind the
crown in a clockwise direction

Hope this helps.

Guy
C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier |C7 Chrono
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 PR&M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x5 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300&P'type |C65 Diver Khaki & P'type |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF