Is warranty transferable?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
John Price
Junior
Junior

Post by John Price »

Sorry if this has been asked before - my search skills failed me.

I'm purchasing a watch from another member that's new enough that there is some time left on the 60 month warranty. While I hope never to need it, I'm just curious if it's transferable or not. I sent a message to CW asking but they've yet to respond.

Will post about the watch I'm getting when it arrives (suffice to say, I can hardly wait).
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Is warranty transferable?

Post by Ian Mc »

From my experience, yes. You need to contact Cw to register as the new owner.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

My understanding is you're fine providing you have the manual that includes the correct certificate of authenticity. No need to re-register or have the original receipt.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Yep, I've sent one back for warranty that I bought used off eBay.

As long as warranty card/manual is supplied.
Ryan
chex
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by chex »

I have no warranty card, but it is a new logo watch, and I have the original owners name and address.

Will I be able to get warranty repair?
C70 DBR1/IT1921/FR1906 | C7 Rapide Mk II | C5 Slimline Square/Malvern
frigaliment

Post by frigaliment »

Can you ask the original owner whether they still have it? I'm sure CW could do a search on the serial number, and see that it's still under warranty?
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

chex wrote:I have no warranty card, but it is a new logo watch, and I have the original owners name and address.

That’s probably a question best asked of CW directly ... but I believe with the original owner’s details it should be covered, as they can verify the purchase date using their name.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
chex
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by chex »

frigaliment wrote:Can you ask the original owner whether they still have it? I'm sure CW could do a search on the serial number, and see that it's still under warranty?
Original owner does not have it. Doesn't having the new logo prove it's less than 5 years old?
C70 DBR1/IT1921/FR1906 | C7 Rapide Mk II | C5 Slimline Square/Malvern
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

gaf1958 wrote:
chex wrote:I have no warranty card, but it is a new logo watch, and I have the original owners name and address.

That’s probably a question best asked of CW directly ... but I believe with the original owner’s details it should be covered, as they can verify the purchase date using their name.
Greetings,

Agreed and once you have supplied them with all the relevant details, ask for a COA.
statto
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 11

Post by statto »

I have had a number of conversations with CW over the last couple of years on this topic.

It would seem that the most important information is the original owner's details or order number, as this is what they search on in the customer database, and from there they find the watch details. I had a similar incident where I had neither the warranty card nor the original order details so I asked if they could search by watch serial number. To my amazement I was told that they don't record the watch serial number on the database - makes you wonder why bother with s/ns. Luckily the watch in question has continued to work fine and I suspect is now well out of warranty.

One would hope that having the warranty card would suffice for a warranty repair, but I've not had to go down that route fortunately.

As for registering change of ownership, I did this a couple of times early last year for watches where I had been the original owner and subsequently sold on. This was when Wera was still at the helm of CS and she was very keen for this to happen. However, after she left and I tried to register another COA I was told by Andrew that they didn't do this as they had no mechanism to update the database with the new details.

Of course things move on so as others have suggested, you will have to contact CS and hope that they look favourably on your situation.

I agree that all new logo watches have to be within the 5-year warranty period, so CW should honour that.
Cheers

Paul
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

^^^^^ Unfortunately this is an example of the madness of CW (love 'em to bits, but some of their practices are totally bizarre).

The serial number is utterly irrelevant to the watch/provenance, history etc. They seem to have no record of it, cannot trace a watch by it, do not track it through their system for service/repair, cannot track an owner by it, and cannot tell what movement is in the watch by it. No idea why!

Bottom line.... If you don't have the cert, you can whistle Dixie... Always get it!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Danchy007
Senior
Senior

Post by Danchy007 »

Does anyone know would having the lugs drilled like on the Seiko Monster for easy strap chamging void the warranty?

Sent from my Lenovo Vibe P1 using Tapatalk
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Danchy007 wrote:Does anyone know would having the lugs drilled like on the Seiko Monster for easy strap chamging void the warranty?

As it doesn't affect the movement etc, I don't see why it should make any difference but we could hypothesise on this one all day long. In the end the only real answer on this question, would have to come from CW themselves.
Steve.
Danchy007
Senior
Senior

Post by Danchy007 »

Schratch that visited my watchmaker yesterday to ask him about that said it can't be done without ruining the case and lugs

MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

Danchy007 wrote:Schratch that visited my watchmaker yesterday to ask him about that said it can't be done without ruining the case and lugs

Seiko seemed to manage it.