Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Djdamo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: West Midlands UK

Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by Djdamo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Just ordered a C8 flyer automatic, having only having quartz and apple watches previously I’ve been looking into the need of a watch winder, quite but not to break the bank. Any advice of best buys and how to use for the c8 would be great.

User avatar
downer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 23158
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 pm
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: Yes
Location: UK

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by downer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 pm

The key point for a winder is to ensure you get one that has the correct "turns per day" for your watch.

There is a database here, but for the C8 automatic, you will need one that does 650tpd, which most do.

Otherwise, the key point is probably noise. I have owned winders that can happily sit in the bedroom without disturbing sleep, and I've owned others that would need to live in the cupboard under the stairs!

One idea is to buy a "modular" winder - the sort that allows additional winders from the same power supply - as this will make allowance for the next automatic watch you buy. :)
Richard

User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 22239
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:06 pm

@Djdamo - Welcome to the forum. :wave:

C8 is a great watch; I've long like an Aviator. :thumbup:

As to winders, I've got a Time Tutelary two watch winder from Amazon; under £60.

Does the job, with variable 'turns per day' and clockwise / anti-clockwise rotation. Carriage for the watch is sprung loaded to accept any reasonable wrist size of strap/bracelet. Some winders have a cushion which, invariably, can be too big or too small.

Not the quietest; I therefore have in my study (next to bedroom). Won't recommend it for bedside table.

Why two watch version? Well; you're bound to buy another automatic sometime. :)

Good luck.

Guy
C4|C4&W7 BBMF|C5 BOB LE|C6|C7 MkI 47AD|C7 MkII Harrier|C8 MkI|C8 Reg MkII
C8 M2.04 LE|C8 UTC|C9 FLE|C9 Me109 SPC LE|C20 FLE|C40 Speedhawk|C60 K'fisher|C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex|C60 Chrono P'type|C65 Khaki|C65 S'hurst|C65 GMT|C70 x3|C90 PR|C600|C1000

User avatar
Robotaz
Guru
Guru
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Lexington, KY
Contact:

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by Robotaz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Just buy the $50 Amazon/eBay dual winders that have several turns per day settings and CW/CCW rotation settings.

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3162
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:53 am
CW-watches: 1

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by what-time-is-it » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Don't bother buying imho - I have two and they never get used.

I either manually wind or wear after a few shakes - something quite satisfying about keeping a dozen or so watches all ticking with the correctish time without using a winder - it's a bit like spinning plates and it's normally my Seiko Turtle that stops first due to my others having a few more hours power reserve.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris

User avatar
footycrazy
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:30 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Essex coast.

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by footycrazy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:23 pm

I took delivery of this winder for 4 only 3 days ago and i am very impressed with how quiet it is with 5 settings for different turns per day. Also comes in a 2 space winder. Its quite nice to look at and well made from Bamboo and steel.. :thumbup:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0756DRR6M/ref ... 01_TE_item

A crap picture but...
Image
Graham

Omega Seamaster 2255.80.00
Tudor Black Bay Blue 79230B
Graham Silverstone Timezone

User avatar
gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 10608
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 am
CW-watches: 30
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia (ɐᴉɭɐɹʇsnɐ)

Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by gaf1958 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:09 am

footycrazy wrote: Image
So... Am I right in guessing the third new arrival is ... another Breitling?
CWL C1+4xC3+7xC6/60+3xC7+C9+C11+7xC60T+5xC65+C70+C600
Omega Ω 7xSpeedy+9xSeamaster+2xConnie+DeVille+Dynamic
Zenith+2xTudor+5xFarer+4xOris+7xMagrette+29xSeiko+9xVtg
B&R+Hamilton+LumTec+Lacroix+Mido+MkII+2xSteinhart+3xVisitor+more
Family 12xCW+2xΩ

SSLAnglois
Senior
Senior
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:36 am

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by SSLAnglois » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:28 pm

I picked up a Wolf winder, I got rediculous lucky and found a local seller who had inherited it and had no clue what it was worth, it was missing the charger and a pillow on a triple winder so he sold it to me for 125$ Canadian, 30$ later for a pillow and charger from Wolf and it was good as new.

I’ve had 2-3 other brands in the past and nothing compares, it’s well worth the money and when/if this one ever dies, I plan to spend the 1,000$ for a new one. Whisper quiet, tons of settings, looks great, feels incredibly built.

Would recommend 1000% and used you can typically find them for about 30% off retail. It’s expensive but worth it IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProfGlenn
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:18 am
CW-watches: 14
Location: Nottingham

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by ProfGlenn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi. I have five of the Excelvan / Critiron ones off Amazon. The motor can become a bit noisy on some of them (it's hit and miss). But if you just unscrew the plate on which the turntables sit, you can apply WD40 to the turning spindle if you want and that can settle it down. If it doesn't they usually settle down anyway. The number of turns is probably excessive for most watches. But CWL tell me you can't damage the clutch by overwinding it on a winder. The number of turns necessary ought to depend on the angle of inclination to me......I have discussed this with Andrew Henry and he says it doesn't but to me the torque should be the torque available at an inclination of zero degrees (full rotation in a vertical plane) times cosine of the angle of inclination (horziontal rotation axis being zero). But Andrew disagrees. Anyway, these are quite good and Customer Service are quite easy to get hold off. They have sent me extra wraps for watch holders when I asked for some and if your motor is too noisy, they will send you a free one to replace it. They are dead easy to take apart and they supply a Youtube video incase you need to do your own maintenance. They are also very useful for getting a measure of your average daily rate. All my autos are ready to go - always. I love my winders. They can be mesmerising to look at.
Glenn

C5 slimline x2, C60 Pro 600/600 Vintage, C9 JH MKII, C9 ss, C65 rose gold, C11 Elite, C11 MSL + MSL Vintage, C8 PR, C65 classic MK III, C65 LE, C60 316L yellow
Tudor Black Bay x 2 + Black Bay Bronze
Omega Seamaster 42mm
Longines VHP

User avatar
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2244
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:48 pm
CW-watches: 6
Location: Sarasota, Florida, USA
Contact:

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by FloridaPhil » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:55 pm

I have experienced the impact of the 'vertical plane' too Prof Glenn. I have a winder where the watches recline at a 45 degree angle and although the turn rate is correct, it struggles to keep my Seiko watches sufficiently wound. My ETA based watches don't seem to have the same problem.

Switching to a winder with the same turn rate but securing the watches vertically cured the problem. Basic physics would seem to lead naturally to that conclusion so I was surprised to read that Andrew Henry disagrees.

I'm with you.
WatchChat on Facebook - A relaxed and laid back group of watch enthusiasts chatting about watches and whatever else happens to come up.

Djdamo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: West Midlands UK

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by Djdamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:57 pm

Great responses and advice, as BAHNSTORMER_VRS commented I’m hoping this may not be my 1st watch purchase so like the option to expand or the multi watch option. I’ve seen the love nest dual winder on amazon for £100ish...seems good reviews and quite motor which will be handy as location will Be next to the bed. It’s good to know the TPD so guess I will only need a small run to keep on track. Some other forums commented around also having the winder on a wall plug timer

ProfGlenn
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:18 am
CW-watches: 14
Location: Nottingham

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by ProfGlenn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:49 pm

FloridaPhil wrote:I have experienced the impact of the 'vertical plane' too Prof Glenn. I have a winder where the watches recline at a 45 degree angle and although the turn rate is correct, it struggles to keep my Seiko watches sufficiently wound. My ETA based watches don't seem to have the same problem.

Switching to a winder with the same turn rate but securing the watches vertically cured the problem. Basic physics would seem to lead naturally to that conclusion so I was surprised to read that Andrew Henry disagrees.

I'm with you.
Cheers Phil! Good to know you have some experimental evidence to support my theory!
Glenn

C5 slimline x2, C60 Pro 600/600 Vintage, C9 JH MKII, C9 ss, C65 rose gold, C11 Elite, C11 MSL + MSL Vintage, C8 PR, C65 classic MK III, C65 LE, C60 316L yellow
Tudor Black Bay x 2 + Black Bay Bronze
Omega Seamaster 42mm
Longines VHP

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm
CW-watches: 7
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by albionphoto » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:06 pm

SSLAnglois wrote:I picked up a Wolf winder, I got rediculous lucky and found a local seller who had inherited it and had no clue what it was worth, it was missing the charger and a pillow on a triple winder so he sold it to me for 125$ Canadian, 30$ later for a pillow and charger from Wolf and it was good as new.

I’ve had 2-3 other brands in the past and nothing compares, it’s well worth the money and when/if this one ever dies, I plan to spend the 1,000$ for a new one. Whisper quiet, tons of settings, looks great, feels incredibly built.

Would recommend 1000% and used you can typically find them for about 30% off retail. It’s expensive but worth it IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 for Wolf Winders. Silent, many different settings. The only minus is that it can be a bit tricky to get the watch to sit on the pillow and get the pillow securely fastened to the winder.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, Orion, Oris and Seiko

SSLAnglois
Senior
Senior
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:36 am

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by SSLAnglois » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 pm

albionphoto wrote:
SSLAnglois wrote:I picked up a Wolf winder, I got rediculous lucky and found a local seller who had inherited it and had no clue what it was worth, it was missing the charger and a pillow on a triple winder so he sold it to me for 125$ Canadian, 30$ later for a pillow and charger from Wolf and it was good as new.

I’ve had 2-3 other brands in the past and nothing compares, it’s well worth the money and when/if this one ever dies, I plan to spend the 1,000$ for a new one. Whisper quiet, tons of settings, looks great, feels incredibly built.

Would recommend 1000% and used you can typically find them for about 30% off retail. It’s expensive but worth it IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 for Wolf Winders. Silent, many different settings. The only minus is that it can be a bit tricky to get the watch to sit on the pillow and get the pillow securely fastened to the winder.
True indeed, trick is to buy the different sized pillows from them (15usd) each to fit your different watches.

Fitting them in, well that one I can’t help you with lol it’s still a mystery to me haha!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
yuri9206
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:33 pm
CW-watches: 11
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Watch winder....Best Buy and advice how to use

Post by yuri9206 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:00 am

Someone tried the CW piccolo winder? If yes, it make noise?
C8 Pilot MK II; C5 Malvern MK II; C60 Trident Pro 600 black; C11 Titanium Extreme 1000; C65 Trident Classic LE; C60 Trident Titanium Pro 600 #2; C60 Trident Pro 600 white; C11 MSL Black Manta; C11 Titanium Elite 500; C8 Mark I; C11 Makaira pro 500 orange

Post Reply