C5 Malvern 595 "Air"

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: C5 Malvern 595 "Air"

Post by asqwerth »

Much nicer pic. Like I said, it's ok from the front. Just too static for me.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
MrDagon007
Junior
Junior

Post by MrDagon007 »

Hope to get my grey dial one soon, will post picture.
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

I purposefully haven’t looked at the pictures of the 595 for few days and just now took a fresh look. My impression is that, while definitely minimalist in design, this watch will work well as a true dress watch and will get a lot of attention. The black hands and indices will stand out much better in person than in pictures.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

After all the things I complained about the air
- lack of seconds hand
- lack of minute markers
- boring dial

I just picked up this:

It's quartz and very light and thin.

I've always wanted an Ole Mathiesen, having walked past the shop in Copenhagen many times when visiting for work and pleasure.

The minimalist look sits better with me because it is actual Danish design (rather than an attempt by some blokes in Maidenhead).
The emotional connection to Copenhagen also works for me.
4.8mm thick :D

Definitely don't need an Air now I have this :D
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
MrDagon007
Junior
Junior

Post by MrDagon007 »

This arrived today.

Very happy with it. It is chic and different thanks to the grey dial (I admit it was a bit of a gamble when I ordered it).
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations! Love it with the mesh bracelet. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Holy illegibility batman!

For the man who isn't too bothered what the time is...
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I'm sorry, but every 'real world' pic has made it look worse to me. Glad you happy with it MrDragon, but it aint for me. It wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing. Enjoy
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: C5 Malvern 595

Post by Caller »

MrDagon007 wrote:Very happy with it. It is chic and different thanks to the grey dial (I admit it was a bit of a gamble when I ordered it).
Well, good luck to you and CW, clearly the marketing is working!

Fashion watch it is.
'Tis me
MrDagon007
Junior
Junior

Post by MrDagon007 »

Caller wrote:
MrDagon007 wrote:Very happy with it. It is chic and different thanks to the grey dial (I admit it was a bit of a gamble when I ordered it).
Well, good luck to you and CW, clearly the marketing is working!

Fashion watch it is.
It can be argued that all nice watches are a kind of fashion statement.
This one is obviously a daylight watch, I will mainly wear it on a suit and I find it an interesting, modern alternative to the watches I usually wear on a suit: a 1990s square zenith, a previous generation Rado True, or -shock and horror- the stainless Apple watch on leather.
When it comes to general product refinement, when you inspect it, obviously it is up to the very nice standard we now expect from CW, it is way beyond what fashion watches usually offer - unless you are talking Hermes or Ralph Lauren :)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: C5 Malvern 595

Post by Caller »

MrDagon007 wrote:It can be argued that all nice watches are a kind of fashion statement.
This one is obviously a daylight watch, I will mainly wear it on a suit and I find it an interesting, modern alternative to the watches I usually wear on a suit: a 1990s square zenith, a previous generation Rado True, or -shock and horror- the stainless Apple watch on leather.
When it comes to general product refinement, when you inspect it, obviously it is up to the very nice standard we now expect from CW, it is way beyond what fashion watches usually offer - unless you are talking Hermes or Ralph Lauren :)
I'm afraid all of that is rather lost on me, I used to mainly wear a TAG F1 in my suited and booted days (now retired). But I was the type of suit wearer who (usually) left the top button of his shirt undone and either rolled my sleeves up or wore short sleeves, as removing the jacket as soon as I could was a force of habit, only to be put back on as the need arose. It became something of a standing joke in the office that when the jacket went on as I left my desk, it usually meant I had been summonsed to something important.

I genuinely hope you enjoy it and it's good to see the watch in the flesh, and don't worry about what this old philistine has to say.
'Tis me
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Wow. I'm a little shocked CW's focus groups have led them to that design. Agree with the sentiments above - great if you like it (and enjoy!), but certainly not for me.

I often see people using privacy screens on laptop displays while commuting on the train. I guess that's what the above photo reminds me of. A watch with a privacy display so as to deter reading of the time.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

jtc wrote:
I often see people using privacy screens on laptop displays while commuting on the train. I guess that's what the above photo reminds me of. A watch with a privacy display so as to deter reading of the time.
If the one wearing it can read the time then what does it matter if the one next to them can or cannot. Let them buy their own watch. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Kip wrote:
jtc wrote:
If the one wearing it can read the time then what does it matter if the one next to them can or cannot. Let them buy their own watch. :)
Viral marketing at its finest :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Two thoughts on @MrDagon007's photo:-

1. On some of my watches, C8 Regulator LE particularly, I find that in certain light conditions and at a certain angle, the AR on the crystal conspires to produce an opacity to it in the same way as on the 595, and

2. Looking at the photo carefully, there appears to be an arc of fine dots from about 9 round to 2, plus a fine line on the edge of the bezel around 4 to 7. Is this due to the protective plastic still being on the crystal.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England