triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: NEW - Trust Pilot review

Post by triffidman »

richtel wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 pm
I think it would be dangerous to infer the proportion of issues seen in reality based on the variance of survey and review statistics.
What you're inferring is that Trustpilot and other review sites are actually not worth the effort even looking at them - should we also apply your 'danger' theory to analysing the good reviews as well?

They currently have a rating of 4.6 (Excellent) on Trustpilot, are you inferring that this is simply not to be believed?
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
richtel
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

triffidman wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:26 pm
richtel wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 pm
I think it would be dangerous to infer the proportion of issues seen in reality based on the variance of survey and review statistics.
What you're inferring is that Trustpilot and other review sites are actually not worth the effort even looking at them - should we also apply your 'danger' theory to analysing the good reviews as well?

They currently have a rating of 4.6 (Excellent) on Trustpilot, are you inferring that this is simply not to be believed?
Wow, old thread but clearly some heat in the fresh response! If you'd actually quoted the context of what I actually said in my post, I expressed a view that-

- Some people make it their life's work to mess with people's perception of a brand.
- People tend to be more vocal when they have a grievance.
- There is evidence in some reviews and feedback (not necessarily on TrustPilot but certainly in general) of false or exaggerated grievances for and against a product or service in an attempt to gain a commercial advantage.

So, yes, I still stick by my view that I am selective about how I will research and decide on the value or quality of things. Review sites, in general, may not give you the whole picture or a representative balance.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

richtel wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:44 pm

So, yes, I still stick by my view that I am selective about how I will research and decide on the value or quality of things. Review sites, in general, may not give you the whole picture or a representative balance.
There is more than a grain of truth in the examples you cite. Like you, I will use my own judgment.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 »

richtel wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:44 pm

- Some people make it their life's work to mess with people's perception of a brand.
- People tend to be more vocal when they have a grievance.
- There is evidence in some reviews and feedback (not necessarily on TrustPilot but certainly in general) of false or exaggerated grievances for and against a product or service in an attempt to gain a commercial advantage.

It's even worse than that. A short while ago my step-daughter had a "work experience placing" in a so called SEO company (Search Engine Optimisation). Her role (alongside others) was to generate "reviews" on various sites. These could be both good and bad, depending on what the "client" was paying for. Jack up your rating? Trash the competition? All available at a price. Apparently, it had to be done manually as retailers such as Amazon or the review sites like Trust Pilot have upped their game and can (mostly) detect the bots.

I kid you not. A complaint to the college followed as this was nothing but blatant fraud, but I don't doubt the practice blithely continues.

DYOR has never been more important.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)