Degaussing/demagnetising my Trident hasn't worked!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Camulos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: Degaussing/demagnetising my Trident hasn't worked!

Post by Camulos »

Thegreyman wrote:My Red Jag was not keeping good time and when I put it to the compass, lo and behold the needle started moving....clearly magnetised.

I bought one of the cheap de-magnetizers from ebay for about £8. Of course these come with no instructions and the youtube videos I could find were not that great. The result was that I tried to de-magnetize the watch using incorrect method of putting the watch on the device, switching it on then off before removing the watch. The compass seemed to move even more after this :? Having read Richtel's very helpful post on how to properly de-magnetize (de-gauss) the watch I've just followed that method and the compass does seem to be much less active so hopefully it has worked. I just need to monitor the timekeeping now to see if that has improved.
Great, same for me too. Glad we have this very helpful community here!
Trident Pro 60 GMT auto, C8 Flyer auto, C5 Malvern manual-wind, Trident Pro 60 Submariner (quartz)
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thegreyman »

Thegreyman wrote:My Red Jag was not keeping good time and when I put it to the compass, lo and behold the needle started moving....clearly magnetised.

I bought one of the cheap de-magnetizers from ebay for about £8. Of course these come with no instructions and the youtube videos I could find were not that great. The result was that I tried to de-magnetize the watch using incorrect method of putting the watch on the device, switching it on then off before removing the watch. The compass seemed to move even more after this :? Having read Richtel's very helpful post on how to properly de-magnetize (de-gauss) the watch I've just followed that method and the compass does seem to be much less active so hopefully it has worked. I just need to monitor the timekeeping now to see if that has improved.
Just timed the Red Jag over two days and it's 14 seconds fast so + 7s per day. I'm pretty sure that is quite a bit within spec so thanks again for the advice here. Happy days. It seems worthwhile buying a £1 compass on ebay just to check your watches aren't magnetized in case they are running inaccurately. This is another DIY job that you don't need a watchmaker for.
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Ombre COSC LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Not that I have a perceived problem with any of my watches, most of which run a tad fast, I ought to get my Silva map reading compass out just to check.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Got my compass out yesterday (actually a MilSpec / issue Suunto one I've had for years) and following the instructions from posts above and this video on YouTube

. . found that my C60 Trident Chrono, which runs +15/+20secs per day is magnetised; it deflects the compass needle about 30 degrees (as in the video).

Also found my C5 BoB and C5 MkI are both slightly magnetised.

Strangely though my Damasko DK15, which has a non -magnetic EPS(R) mainspring and runs <3 secs per day fast i.e. within COSC spec, which I therefore reckon is OK, deflects the compass needle 90 degrees! Work that one out.

Better go and find myself a demagnetiser. Any recommendations gratefully received (not the one @ £236 from Cousins).

Guy
C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLEx2
C60 Bronze-316L| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21| C65 GMT| C1000
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Strangely though my Damasko DK15, which has a non -magnetic EPS(R) mainspring and runs <3 secs per day fast i.e. within COSC spec, which I therefore reckon is OK, deflects the compass needle 90 degrees! Work that one out.
The DK15 is a rather superb watch :clap: I've been reading a bit about Damasko as one is on my wish-list.

Not sure if the DK15 is different, but it's my understanding that the particular stainless steel alloy configuration selected by Damasko, and which they then ice-harden, was previously largely disregarded for use in wrist watches because the alloy is vulnerable to becoming magnetised by an external magnetic field, and then retaining that magnetism permanently (unless degaussed).

Their patent re the steel was not on the steel itself nor the ice-hardening process, but rather the use of an anti-magnetic inner shield (a bit like the Rolex Milgauss does) in conjunction with both, thus allowing the benefit of the super-hard & anti-corrosive properties, but negating the risk of magnetism.

I think the DK15 has a display case back, unlike most of their models, so perhaps the silicon & other anti-magnetic materials in that in-house movement negate the need to rely upon the usual iron inner shield. Similar I suppose to how Omega achieve anti-magnetic movements with a display back.

If I'm thinking right therefore, it's probable that your watch case is indeed magnetized, but the movement is not, as you have observed from your testing. Pretty cool. :thumbup:
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman »

^^Guy, I bought something along these lines. It comes with the two prong Euro plug but I just used my razor charger adaptor to connect into the socket and it worked fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demagnetizer ... ScNKdRyd_w
Patrick

Bahnstormer_vRS

@TG3N - thanks for your fascinating comments and intriguing info on the Damasko steel.

I think I'll do some more research, but am tempted to leave it alone as it is running pretty smoothly already.
Thegreyman wrote:^^Guy, I bought something along these lines. It comes with the two prong Euro plug but I just used my razor charger adaptor to connect into the socket and it worked fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demagnetizer ... ScNKdRyd_w
Thanks Patrick.

I'd spotted that one (or an identical one from another seller, there are quite a few) and thought it would be the one you mentioned.

Only snag is, having got a 'bee in my bonnet', I'm not keen on waiting for shipping from Hong Kong and am hoping I can find a UK seller with one.

Guy

C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
FirstOutlander
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by FirstOutlander »

There is a LOT to learn about higher quality watches.

Seems almost every thread I read on this forum teaches me more.

Much thanks to those that posted in this thread.
CW C60 Trident GMT 600 43 mm (1x Black, 1x White), C8 Flyer Automatic (1x Mk I, 1x Mk II), C10 2013 FLE
Sinn 857 UTC, 757 UTC
Victorinox Swiss Army Dive Master 500 - Model 241356
Halios Tropix
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Thanks Patrick.

I'd spotted that one (or an identical one from another seller, there are quite a few) and thought it would be the one you mentioned.

Only snag is, having got a 'bee in my bonnet', I'm not keen on waiting for shipping from Hong Kong and am hoping I can find a UK seller with one.

Guy
Good point Guy, mine didnt take that long. Here's one allegedly based in the UK and has a latest delivery date of 11 Jan which isn't too bad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Repair- ... SwB09YHa5~
Patrick

Bahnstormer_vRS

Thegreyman wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Thanks Patrick.

Guy
Good point Guy, mine didnt take that long. Here's one allegedly based in the UK and has a latest delivery date of 11 Jan which isn't too bad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Repair- ... SwB09YHa5~
Saw that one last night.

Couple of comments in the Payment and Shipping paragraphs, suggest an overseas seller. Also the picture within the seller's profile is a bit of a give away.

Guy

iain
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but several uses of the search function didn’t find the answer to my question, and as this seemed to already contain a lot of useful info, I thought I’d add my question here instead of starting again.

So I’ve finally bought a demagnetiser and have watched YouTube and read a few techniques which I’m sure will mean I get it right first time. What I can’t seem to work out though is whether the watch needs to be stopped in order to demagnetise it, or can you use a demagnetiser on a running watch? If it has to be stopped, can I do this by hacking the movement, or do need to let it run down first?

Thanks in anticipation of some helpful advise being forthcoming,
stefs
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by stefs »

iain wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:36 am
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but several uses of the search function didn’t find the answer to my question, and as this seemed to already contain a lot of useful info, I thought I’d add my question here instead of starting again.

So I’ve finally bought a demagnetiser and have watched YouTube and read a few techniques which I’m sure will mean I get it right first time. What I can’t seem to work out though is whether the watch needs to be stopped in order to demagnetise it, or can you use a demagnetiser on a running watch? If it has to be stopped, can I do this by hacking the movement, or do need to let it run down first?

Thanks in anticipation of some helpful advise being forthcoming,
Iain, it can be running as normally. This technique has worked for me a couple of times.
My name is paul and I am a watchaholic. It has been zero days since my last watch.
iain
Guru
Guru

Post by iain »

stefs wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:06 am
Iain, it can be running as normally. This technique has worked for me a couple of times.
Thanks, I’ll have go at some point this weekend.
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman »

Yes definitely no need to have the watch "stopped".
Patrick

Bahnstormer_vRS

Great to reread this thread from which I've learnt that, when I last tried to demagnetise a watch, I'm not sure I used the correct method. :oops: :oops:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
iain
Guru
Guru

Post by iain »

To report back, I demagnetised my watches today using my new gadget. I tested before and after using the Lepsi app and most seemed to work very well, one watch took a couple of attempts but most did it first time. However these is an issue with two of them and I’m after some of your thoughts please.

The demagnetiser is the ubiquitous blue box with the red button. When you press the button it magnetises itself and you then draw the watch away to demagnetise. In most cases all you detect is a faint hum from the magnet. However two watches were pulled quite strongly to the magnet when it was activated and they don’t seem to be demagnetising according to Lepsi.

The first is my IWC Pilot. Now I know this watch is sold as anti magnetic due to a soft iron case around the movement. I assume it was this iron case that was pulled towards the demagnetiser. However it always shows as still magnetised. I’m not sure if the movement is affected of not but I’ll run the watch and see what happens.

The other was my Damasko and again it was pulled to the magnet. I have read that Damasko steel has some strange magnetic properties but again I’m not sure if the movement is affected or whether Lepsi is just detecting something from the case, again I’ll run the watch and see how it behaves.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any thoughts at to what might be going on?