Discuss Christopher Ward watches
shirehorse
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

C11 Extreme crown slipping

Post by shirehorse »

I'm almost certain the answer is going to be "mail CW", but I'll ask anyway :D

This morning I picked up my C11 which hadn't been worn for a week or so, did a brief wind to get seconds to zero, set the date, set the time then did a couple more winds. After a couple of turns the crown "slipped".

I pulled the crown out, checked the date and time set still (they do), put it back into manual wind position and about half the time the crown slips and half the time it has traction.

Clearly something is not right, and C11 crown issues seem common too, any idea how serious this is?
shirehorse
Junior
Junior

Re: C11 Extreme crown slipping

Post by shirehorse »

Sorry for the dupe thread. I got a 504 error and resubmitted not seeing it was already there...
shirehorse
Junior
Junior

Post by shirehorse »

Ok, other thread deleted, apology stands if you saw the dupe, otherwise carry on!
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

I've not had winder trouble on my C11 but did on my C8 Pilot. The winder used to intermittently loosen and not wind correctly. As the C8 had a small crystal window on the back I knew that when the problem was present the counterweight used to spin when winding. It was resolved by CW and has worked fine since (my son now has this watch).

You already know the answer - get in touch with customer services and get the watch checked out and sorted.
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
shirehorse
Junior
Junior

Post by shirehorse »

Email sent... I will have to wait and see. In the meantime it is ticking away happily enough.
shirehorse
Junior
Junior

Post by shirehorse »

I had my C11 back this week and nothing was changed! I'm astonished. Surely it is not cost efficient to keep sending watches back and forth... reported again. I wonder if they couldn't reproduce the problem, however i) it's easy and ii) why not drop me a mail if they couldn't to ask for more detail.

I really would like to wear this again. Here's hoping take two works better...
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by mik »

That doesnt seem very sensible at all. :?
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

What do you mean by slipping? My C60 has something similar but feels like the crown is disengaging from the winding mechanism. When I wind and pull on the crown at the same time, it works fine. I am not familiar with the mechanics of the crown and stem but it feels like a spring inside the crown stem is too weak to keep the crown in the winding position by itself.
shirehorse
Junior
Junior

Post by shirehorse »

nordwulf wrote:What do you mean by slipping? My C60 has something similar but feels like the crown is disengaging from the winding mechanism. When I wind and pull on the crown at the same time, it works fine. I am not familiar with the mechanics of the crown and stem but it feels like a spring inside the crown stem is too weak to keep the crown in the winding position by itself.
It does seem similar, the crown turns but it is smooth ("slips"), there is no winding engagement. It would be nice if it were a simple fix...
shirehorse
Junior
Junior

Post by shirehorse »

This is a very delayed update, but back in March/April (I am not sure now!) I did get my chunk of titanium returned in working condition, so I am very pleased about that. Thank you CW service!

TBH I have babied it a bit since, in fear of another issue cropping up!
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Glad you sorted it. :thumbup:
Don’t baby it!
Give it some welly, then if it does happen again it should still be fresh in CW’s mind and they may even replace the movement.

Seriously, wear and wind it as normal.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue