More 38mm choice..

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Badgerous

More 38mm choice..

Post by Badgerous »

I'm a very happy owner of two CW watches now - A C8 flyer, and C60 Pro vintage, both in the perfectly-sized-for-me 38mm.. I'd gladly expand my collection, but there aren't many models across the range offering that size. :(

The orange C60 316L looks awesome on it's grey Nato, and the C8 Regulator couldn't be any more up my street if it tried, but both are only available at 44mm.

Is this purely a supply and demand thing, or are they simply harder to produce?
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: More 38mm choice..

Post by Watchamacallit »

I think it more a fashion thing...which leads to a supply and demand thing. Watches many decades ago were smaller so it is not a technical issue, though a watch with more complications like a chronograph can use extra space to display information.

I just purchased a 42mm chronograph and can comfortably wear 40/42/44 sized watches but I prefer 37/38/39 watches. I would rather have a watch that looked a little too small over one that looked or wore too large, but I think I (we) are in the minority.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

It's definitely a trend thing.

42mm for my wrist is starting to look too big, so I try to stay below that. An oversized watch just doesn't look right to me.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Much depends on my mind on the style and function of the watch. My Orient divers are both 41 mm and my Speedmaster and DBR1 are both 42 mm. None of them feels in any way too big. However, I do feel that for me personally a dressier watch that is over 40 mm (or even at 40 mm) feels a bit big. This may be because on the divers and chronographs the bezels tend to be thicker so the dials do not look as big. A watch over 40 mm that is pretty much all dial just looks and feels too big for me.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I don't think that the diameter of the case is as important as the 'lug to lug' measurement and the shape of the case/lugs. This, to me, is what makes a watch wear bigger or smaller. My Orient diver at 41mm wears about the same as my 38mm C8 Flyer. My 42mm Khaki Day/Date, which is 'all dial' with no bezel wears a lot smaller than my 41mm BBR and is on a par with the C8 due to how it hugs the wrist. So, don't be put off a watch just because its a bigger diameter than you are used to, try it first. For example, a 41/42mm with a 48mm lug to lug may wear smaller than some 38/40mm watches. As always, only my opinion.
Skipper
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 12

Post by Skipper »

TigerChris wrote:I don't think that the diameter of the case is as important as the 'lug to lug' measurement and the shape of the case/lugs...
It's true, but we have to stick at the most commonly published measurement as it gave a first approach to the wearability of a certain watch.

For me ANY watch with a stated case diameter larger that 42mm. it's a "pain in the wrist". Diameters to that measure I can consider depending on the LtL distance, the case thickness, the diagonal measurement, the springbars height over the caseback, the dial color, the bezel thickness... and the intended use of the watch.

Also is not the same for any wrist depending on its flatness or roundness, so each of us should be able to calculate the adequacy of any watch for our requirements. That said the 38mm. diameter it's a perfect one for my slim and rounded wrists.
meehoo

Post by meehoo »

I wish the new vintage diver 2018 would come in 38mm size :)
ryamam
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by ryamam »

all recent Tridents are 43mm, what a shame
itsreallydarren
Junior
Junior

Post by itsreallydarren »

meehoo wrote:I wish the new vintage diver 2018 would come in 38mm size :)
I was also hoping they would build the vintage diver off the C65 Vintage case. The case and dial are already larger, I imagine a slightly larger thin bezel would make it appear 39mm or 40mm.
JimboJames1972
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by JimboJames1972 »

36mm to 39mm seems to be my sweet-spot.

I have deep respect for the CW brand and really enjoy their designs on my wrist. I’d happily have my entire collection from the range if each model came in their smaller sizes...

J
Parp

Post by Parp »

I'd love a C7 Rapide at even 1-2mm smaller.
I don't have tiny wrists either.

It's not a big problem on this watch, or those with busier dials and bezels.
"All Dial" watches at above 38-39mm start looking a bit Saucer/Helipad to me.
Badgerous

Post by Badgerous »

Arg.. That new blue C60 is just gorgeous, but again, 43mm only :(
ryamam
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by ryamam »

I wanted to get the Bronze diver, but sadly they don't sell 38mm.

Also, I think CWL stopped making XS Bader Straps anymore...