Recent Banning

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Recent Banning

Post by tikkathree »

TheBeatles wrote:I've only been a member coming up to a year.

So could any of our more long standing members say whether the problems seem to be getting worse or more frequent.

Could the forum be a victim of its own success, perhaps.
I hope you'll take the beach metaphor in same harmless spirit in which I apply it.

The tide goes out and.... the tide comes back in again. Do we currently have s pate of storm tides bringing in lots of things we don't want deposited on out bit of sand? No, I don't think we do have an increasing problem.

It is quite possible to overthink this issue and point towards rising costs at EBay or increasing numbers of CW sales causing an increase in the number of "speculative" watch flipping here: I don't think so.

Do we have an increase in new members? Well, it feels like it a little bit but maybe that's just the nature of net fora': you notice the posters but you don't notice those who don't post. I occasionally wander way and after a couple of weeks come back again: usually that's just a function of what else I have going on in the real world.

The Mods can say whether they have more work these days or not and, magically, here we are:-
downer wrote:There are very few problems on this forum. We review the first few posts of every new member and that enables us to weed out the obvious spammers. For sure, the biggest issue is the guys who join only for the sales corner and try to speed their way to access. That's annoying, but we usually spot it and encourage them to slow down. If we had a time limit as well as a post limit, I think we would eradicate the problem.

As for this particular chap and his repeated attempts to join, I think we have enough checks and balances in place. 8)
We now have a CW Enthusiast page on Facebook which gives increased exposure and there or here there's always going to be someone who pushes things beyond what is acceptable or appropriate.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
eventhorizon
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by eventhorizon »

Personally, and perhaps being one of the lower-volume posters myself, I find speed-posting very annoying, and it stands out like a sore thumb within this well-moderated forum. Maybe it would help to add a minimum member time requirement to the sales corner, say 1-3 months membership in addition to the post count requirement. It might make it harder to catch people, but it might also discourage these types in the first place by providing sufficient hurdles.

Selling things on eBay is easy and convenient. I don't get why anyone is so desperate to sell something on this platform that they'd resort to speed-posting. The notion that people pounce on CW sales like hyenas for the sole purpose of reselling discontinued watches to those who actually wanted them really sticks in my craw, but that's human nature I suppose.
Eric
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Two different things going on here…
eventhorizon wrote: Selling things on eBay is easy and convenient. I don't get why anyone is so desperate to sell something on this platform that they'd resort to speed-posting.
They say the other man's grass is always greener. Many newcomers actually want to buy rather than sell, and they assume, rightly or wrongly - who am I to say?, that Sales Corner is full of wonderful watches at bargain prices.
eventhorizon wrote: The notion that people pounce on CW sales like hyenas for the sole purpose of reselling discontinued watches to those who actually wanted them really sticks in my craw, but that's human nature I suppose.
Easier to explain. It's called greed. But we have at least taken steps to keep it away from this forum.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Overall, kudos to Kip and the Mods team for their diligence in keeping the forum a safe and enjoyable place.
I will second that , well done :clap:
Bernie
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

tempusmaximus wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Overall, kudos to Kip and the Mods team for their diligence in keeping the forum a safe and enjoyable place.
I will second that , well done :clap:
Greetings,

I'II agree also and once again thanks!
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

HA!! I thought he was just being funny and using a BANNED image as his avatar! I had been laughing at that avatar, but hadn't seen any of this stuff that got him banned. Good catch!

J
Harni

Post by Harni »

Although I'm very new to this forum and CW watches, I own and run a car forum with circa 20,000 registered users. As you can imagine we have exactly the same issue. People creating ficticious users in order to sell stuff that either isn't theirs or doesn't exist at all.
We have tried lots of ways to limit this and protect the genuine users and have also seen lots of other methods on other forums. Unfortunately, forums are always a target for scammers. There is normally no comeback unlike if you scam someone on a sales platform such as eBay. There's no linked accounts, address proving etc so forums are a very easy target.
We have always found limiting posting like has been done here works the best as people are forced to put some effort in and if they are just posting to bump their count up, it's generally very obvious.

I suggest if it becomes a real issue, an increase in moderators to keep an eye out for this. That is really the only way you can do it coupled with a post limit.
Harni

Post by Harni »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: They say the other man's grass is always greener. Many newcomers actually want to buy rather than sell, and they assume, rightly or wrongly - who am I to say?, that Sales Corner is full of wonderful watches at bargain prices.
Completely agree and that's what makes it difficult for the forum staff. Personally I'd love to get into the sales section to pick up some bargains and have no intention of selling bearing in mind Ive only just bought my first!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

This is not just about the Sales Corner. This is about all around trust an abiding by the forum guidelines.

Forums all around are littered with trolls and members who use emails and pm's to harass other members. Our guidelines are in place to try and prevent this type behavior.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

That guy sounds nuttier than the Laird! Can you not ban his IP address and end the shenanigans? :o
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
madtitan

Post by madtitan »

Well gentlemen, I am new and proud to say I will not be 'speed posting' or shilling my wares - I can't type very fast and I have no wares lol. I am however happy to already see a level of order and etiquette all too often missing in Internet interaction, and I look forward to being a long time member of this community.
Camberwell
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by Camberwell »

Devarika Woulf wrote:That guy sounds nuttier than the Laird! Can you not ban his IP address and end the shenanigans? :o
He also seems to be incredibly persistent, he could simply use a vpn to get around that.
I salute the mods for their transparency on this matter, and for their continued efforts to maintain the friendly and open atmosphere that lead me to join in the first place.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

madtitan wrote:...I look forward to being a long time member of this community.
Welcome to the forum. Please do go to the Member Introduction section and tell us some more about yourself. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Devarika Woulf wrote:That guy sounds nuttier than the Laird! Can you not ban his IP address and end the shenanigans? :o
Easier said than done.

Ban one IP address and the user sets up a VPN via a different IP address (frequently used by people who use peer-to-peer file sharing).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

:clap: to the mods, they are very restrained and only move to ban when absolutely necessary - heck, anything more than that and I'd have been banned years ago! :lol: