Trident GMT on Sting Ray Leather

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gladeiator
CW-watches: 1

Trident GMT on Sting Ray Leather

Post by Gladeiator »

Hi all. I am new to CW but when I discovered CW by an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about CW watches out of curiosity I went and looked.
Here is the result of that curiosity. I am very happy with it. I read all the discussions about the placement of the logos and I realize it is an old topic, but I rather like the uniqueness of a more discreet and not blaring logo placement. It's the dial that should attract your attention, because if it does, you will indeed investigate it further. It's a tough piece besides being a fine looking watch. I went skiing with it all through April and never once did the GMT hand ever skip to the next hour like another GMT whose brand shall remain nameless. My wife thought the piece was far more expensive than what it sold for so she was happy too. She loved the face and the bracelet as well but for more casual use I swapped out the Imagebracelet for this sting ray leather and tribal stitching.
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Trident GMT on Sting Ray Leather

Post by Psalty »

Beautiful watch. Trying to come to grips with the strap!
Gregory
Gladeiator
CW-watches: 1

Post by Gladeiator »

Yeah its a bit out there. Certainly a conversation starter.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Gladeiator wrote:Yeah its a bit out there. Certainly a conversation starter.
Speechless :D
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

I'm also slightly lost for words on the animal, but I will say the strap and bezel clash a bit for me. Might have worked better on a black bezel..?
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

Renton wrote:I'm also slightly lost for words on the animal, but I will say the strap and bezel clash a bit for me. Might have worked better on a black bezel..?
Greetings,

I agree.

Interesting strap, wrong colour for this bezel.
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

Gladeiator wrote: I read all the discussions about the placement of the logos and I realize it is an old topic, but I rather like the uniqueness of a more discreet and not blaring logo placement. It's the dial that should attract your attention, because if it does, you will indeed investigate it further.
Agree with this assessment of the logo and placement. The red bezel is icing on that cake. :thumbup:
Gregory
Malky007
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Malky007 »

Lovein the strap, still. not a fan of the face
dmc102
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

Post by dmc102 »

The strap is bound to polarise opinion, but at least if you don't like it you can change it :)

Maybe it's just me but what I can't come to terms with is a GMT watch with these bezel markings.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

dmc102 wrote:The strap is bound to polarise opinion, but at least if you don't like it you can change it :)

Maybe it's just me but what I can't come to terms with is a GMT watch with these bezel markings.
Can you explain, the bezel shows 24 hour markings?
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
dmc102
Junior
Junior

Post by dmc102 »

TheBeatles wrote:
dmc102 wrote:The strap is bound to polarise opinion, but at least if you don't like it you can change it :)

The odd hours aren't marked at all, and for some reason 2, 4 and 6 are marked as if it's a dive bezel, with intermediate graduations.

It just looks wrong to me.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

dmc102 wrote:
TheBeatles wrote:

The odd hours aren't marked at all, and for some reason 2, 4 and 6 are marked as if it's a dive bezel, with intermediate graduations.

It just looks wrong to me.
Never thought of it that way.

I have 2 GMTs, but bought them because I wanted the colour combos rather than the GMT functionality.

I'll have to look at other GMT watches for comparison now.

Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

I'd guess that if one is going to use the bezel as a timer (for steaks or eggs, as I do), the world-time numbers would cause confusion. Conversely, if the five, ten, and fifteen minute numbers were etched in, then that would confuse the twenty-four hour readings.

It would not be very difficult to understand where the twenty-four hour hand is without the numbers, but very difficult to make minute calculations using the twenty-four hour scale, so...
Gregory
dmc102
Junior
Junior

Post by dmc102 »

Psalty wrote:I'd guess that if one is going to use the bezel as a timer (for steaks or eggs, as I do), the world-time numbers would cause confusion. Conversely, if the five, ten, and fifteen minute numbers were etched in, then that would confuse the twenty-four hour readings.

It would not be very difficult to understand where the twenty-four hour hand is without the numbers, but very difficult to make minute calculations using the twenty-four hour scale, so...
I hear what you're saying, but the fact that you can time an egg with it doesn't stop it looking like a parts-bin special to me :)
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

One can circle the globe but remain a perfect stranger to a medium boiled egg...

OR

One can cook an egg to perfection but never know the time in, say, Hong Kong.

:wave:
Gregory