CW watch design suggestions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
r1hjk
CW-watches: 2

Re: CW watch design suggestions

Post by r1hjk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:38 pm

I really like the current logo, it’s what brought me to the brand. I hope they continue with it.

jkbarnes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by jkbarnes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:32 pm

Hey @nordwulf, any chance you could do a mock-up of the new C65 Trident GMT with the white dial and hour markers of the C65 Trident Classic? I’d be really curious to see what that looks like.

Thanks!
Andrew
Woodbridge, VA USA

C65 Trident Vintage

nordwulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nordwulf » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Not the greatest but here is an idea. The GMT hand is a bit difficult to copy.

jkbarnes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by jkbarnes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:39 pm

nordwulf wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:26 pm
Not the greatest but here is an idea. The GMT hand is a bit difficult to copy.

Thanks! That gives me a good idea.
Andrew
Woodbridge, VA USA

C65 Trident Vintage

Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 Trident GMT now on the CW website

Post by Watchamacallit » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:20 pm

nordwulf wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:38 pm
Mikkei4 wrote:Looks better than the released version IMO - Frank, please could you do me a favour and show your version with the blue colour of the dial from the C65 Trident Diver if it's not a major piece of work for you?

I know it's been said before but CW should pass their designs past you before final versions are decided upon.
I tried but turning black (no color really) into a real color is not that easy in the software I use. So for now you have to use your imagination.

How about smaller GMT hand and with the vintage CW logo?

I am in total agreement about making the GMT hand smaller. IMO it should stand out less than the 3-hands or at least only be their equal instead of dominating the watch face like it does on the production model. But a significant number of buyers probably want this detail to stand out where it will be noticed by other people so I understand the designer/marketing choice.

That said my ideal modification would have it powered by a highly-accurate-quartz (HAQ) movement with a quickset hour hand instead of having a quickset GMT hand. If it had that capability along with a smaller case size (38-39mm or at most 40mm) alongside every thing else that CW has presented in this watch (nicely lumed, relatively simple and readable dial, great water resistance, thin click bezel, date display) it would be my favorite watch of all time from CW (but maybe no one elses favorite). I do not really care about the brand logo placement since the logo becomes part of the background visual noise when one is wearing the watch and reading the time. Though it is nice to also see the twin flags at 12 o'clock in the production model.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:41 pm

I wrote this on another thread about 10 days ago.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 am
On the subject of the GMT hand which has been both praised and criticised in this thread, it may be worth looking at what Mike France says in the new addition of Loupe:
But the most distinctive aspect is the oversized GMT hand, in an orange that pops brilliantly against the black dial and old radium indexes (sic). We didn’t want anything too discreet, but a design that shouts proudly about the GMT function.
So like it or not (I love it) it was part of the design. Those who enjoy tinkering in Photoshop can play with the design to their heart’s content, but it was fully intended.
No harm in unofficial redesign work, but they knew what they were doing.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

nordwulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nordwulf » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:58 pm

The new C60 Ombre with the bezel of the regular C60 Bronze. I am tempted by the ombre but not a big fan of that busy matte black bezel..

Essex Paul
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Essex Paul » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:00 pm

Still not for me BUT that’s looks good.
Just looks right imho.

oberonfoto
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by oberonfoto » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:04 pm

nordwulf wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:58 pm
The new C60 Ombre with the bezel of the regular C60 Bronze. I am tempted by the ombre but not a big fan of that busy matte black bezel..

I would go for that. CW make it so.
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT
Elliot Brown Canford - Ltd Edition Submariner, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, TagHeuer Kirium, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Victoria

theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 5

Post by theemaadhatter » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:20 pm

I prefer the contrast of the black ceramic with the bronze. For people who don't want the watch to scream BBRRRROOOOOOOONNZE, the CW version breaks it up a little and has a good balance.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
CW: C1 Moonphase, C65 Trident Vintage, C3 Chronograph, C7 Rapide Day/Date LE, C8 Power Reserve, C60 Trident Ombré LE

skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:27 pm

nordwulf wrote:

Not bad but not for me! the black date wheel bugs me with the bronze bezel but with the black ceramic bezel with white inlay they released it compliments each other, it’s the little bits which makes it work I think IMO
Steve

C9 Blue LE//C80 Sector 1/ C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection

StrapMeister
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by StrapMeister » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:48 pm

theemaadhatter wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:20 pm
I prefer the contrast of the black ceramic with the bronze. For people who don't want the watch to scream BBRRRROOOOOOOONNZE, the CW version breaks it up a little and has a good balance.
Totally agree with you :thumbup:
C9 FLE; C10 FLE; C60 FLE Scooter Blue; C60 FLE Red JAG; C60 Trident Vintage PVD Pro 600; C60 Trident Bronze SH21 LE; C90 Becketts; S70 BRG COSC; C3 SWT; C80 Sector; C5 RAF Battle of Britain; C8 MkI; C8 MkI.5.

Amor Vincit Omnia
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Perhaps that was all part of the thinking in the first place? :ka:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

richtel
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by richtel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:46 pm

nordwulf wrote:

I like that. I wouldn't be surprised if we see that at some point Frank- so many of your renders seem to end up in production!
Rich

FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by FloridaPhil » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:47 am

From the moment I saw the Ombre, I didn't care for the black bezel and said that the bronze bezel would look much better and more integrated with the watch. This render confirms my preference and I would buy this version in a heartbeat.
I'll never buy another watch. Not until the next one.