£300

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Headhurts
Junior
Junior

£300

Post by Headhurts »

There is a wealth of knowledge on here so hopefully you will not mind me drawing on it.

It is my sons 40th soon and my ex wife has asked that we spend no more than £300 each on him.

My son has intimated to his wife that he would not mind a watch.

I have said that I will buy this as me ex has agreed on a different gift.

Style and makes etc there are no preferences.

I cannot recall my son wearing a watch before.

I am drawn to a CW Trident 300 but am open to any suggestions for best value makes or styles but I suppose it needs to be a new watch.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: £300

Post by johnnysharp2 »

I agree in the circumstances you should probably be looking at a new watch, are you just considering a CW? Obviously the search and options are much wider if you are looking at all brands.

The sales corner here can be good if you are looking for something not currently on the CW site, and generally the guys that sell on here really look after their watches.
eBay you have to be careful because a lot of the sellers look for inflated prices, so buying direct from CW is a wise choice, the packaging/watch boxes are great too so it will feel like something a bit special has arrived.

At that price point and for a 'new watch' the Trident 300 is a great place to start, you might just need to think about whether your are going for a 38mm or 43mm.
Personally I prefer the larger size.

I like the red bezel one's myself, though I guess it is a matter of taste - link below:

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c60-trident-300-63
Johnny
My Name Is Pete
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by My Name Is Pete »

C7 Rapide?

There's some nice Seikos for that kind of money.
Pete
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

The C7 or C60-300 would be ideal.

Don't forget if you spend over £300, you can use the £50 voucher.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Headhurts
Junior
Junior

Post by Headhurts »

johnnysharp2 wrote:I agree in the circumstances you should probably be looking at a new watch, are you just considering a CW? Obviously the search and options are much wider if you are looking at all brands.

The sales corner here can be good if you are looking for something not currently on the CW site, and generally the guys that sell on here really look after their watches.
eBay you have to be careful because a lot of the sellers look for inflated prices, so buying direct from CW is a wise choice, the packaging/watch boxes are great too so it will feel like something a bit special has arrived.

At that price point and for a 'new watch' the Trident 300 is a great place to start, you might just need to think about whether your are going for a 38mm or 43mm.
Personally I prefer the larger size.

I like the red bezel one's myself, though I guess it is a matter of taste - link below:

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c60-trident-300-63
Not just CW watches but something as nice as possible for the price.

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Although there's 'no preference' I suspect you might indeed want to at least get some idea of what appeals to him- you don't necessarily want to buy him something that he wears on special occasions only or something that would look out of place most of the time and ends up at the back of a drawer. Try showing him some pics to see if there's any reaction.

I guess much will come down to taste- many people have a preference for a particular style or function such as dress watch, fleiger, dive watch to name three, and collectors often look for examples across the styles. One important consideration may whether he would want a mechanical or quartz- I tend to decide which watch to wear each morning- a mechanical when I want something a 'bit special' to wear or a quartz when I want a hardy 'grab and go'- but that's just me, and I'm weird.

For dress watches there are some nice slimlines in the clearance section still..

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/event ... ce-watches
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Headhurts
Junior
Junior

Post by Headhurts »

richtel wrote:Although there's 'no preference' I suspect you might indeed want to at least get some idea of what appeals to him- you don't necessarily want to buy him something that he wears on special occasions only or something that would look out of place most of the time. Try showing him some pics to see if there's any reaction.

I guess much will come down to taste- many people have a preference for a particular style or function such as dress watch, fleiger, dive watch to name three, and collectors often look for examples across the styles. One important consideration may whether he would want a mechanical or quartz- I tend to decide which watch to wear each morning- a mechanical when I want something a 'bit special' to wear or a quartz when I want a hardy 'grab and go'- but that's just me, and I'm weird.

For dress watches there are some nice slimlines in the clearance section still..

Many thanks for the reply.

There is no preference to style, so without knowing I suppose I would be buying something that appeals to me and hope he likes it.

The CW watches have a good warranty and can be exchanged if my choice is wrong.

Having said that there are also some nice looking Seiko watches around this price point.

Headhurts
Junior
Junior

Post by Headhurts »

richtel wrote:Although there's 'no preference' I suspect you might indeed want to at least get some idea of what appeals to him- you don't necessarily want to buy him something that he wears on special occasions only or something that would look out of place most of the time. Try showing him some pics to see if there's any reaction.

Many thanks for the reply.

There is no preference to style, so without knowing I suppose I would be buying something that appeals to me and hope he likes it.

The CW watches have a good warranty and can be exchanged if my choice is wrong.

Having said that there are also some nice looking Seiko watches around this price point.

My Name Is Pete
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by My Name Is Pete »

For someone who doesn't habitually wear watches, I'd go for quartz over a mechanical. I think the style depends on what line of work the guy is in and what hobbies he has (whether he's sporty/outdoorsy/technical/etc.)
Pete
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

PaulWB wrote:The C7 or C60-300 would be ideal.

Not sure he has a voucher?
Johnny
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I would echo the Seiko idea. Lot's of choice at that price point.
Maybe too much? Need to try and narrow it down a bit perhaps? If only to make choosing a bit easier.
There's an on-going debate about the relative merits and demerits of quartz vs mechanical.
Quartz is probably easier for the 'average' watch wearer but many feel there is more 'soul' in a mechanical watch which might be more appropriate for a 'milestone' birthday?

Sent from my GuyPhone using ****
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Perhaps you could arrange to meet up, show him what's available from CWL and then go for an afternoon's shopping to, say, Goldsmiths, John Lewis or similar.

Something may catch his eye.

Also consider the option that, if a particular piece costs more than £300, he may add his own funds to the purchase.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

johnnysharp2 wrote:

The voucher codes are listed in another post in this forum if he doesn't have the voucher.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

PaulWB wrote:
johnnysharp2 wrote:

The voucher codes are listed in another post in this forum if he doesn't have the voucher.
ah right fair enough.
Johnny
UncleDicky
Guru
Guru

Post by UncleDicky »

I'd buy him a nice dress watch.
Youngsters like dials and bells and whistles. I have several friends who were bought ridiculously over the top Brietling chronometers for their 21st 25 years ago - these have now either been sold or are never worn because they are out of fashion and a tad vulgar -
for an important present then I would go for a timeless classic. CW do several - one of those slimlines on sale at the moment for example are under £300 - lovely lovely watches that will outlive your son if looked after.
C9 Marine Chronometer Small Seconds, C8 Mk2 Aviator, C600 Trident Pro; Lum-Tec Combat B19, Elliot Brown Canford, Smiths Everest, Casio Protrek.