Peregrine prototype discussion

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DavidM1
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidM1 »

Hey Bob that is a cool pocket watch type thing. What is the story and how does it work?
Bob Demers
CW-watches: 0

Post by Bob Demers »

Hi Dave, actually it's a replica of a 14th century Gothic astrolabe. The principal use was to tell time from the sun and stars. It's 120 mm in diameter so you would need a fairly large pocket to carry it around although with the trend toward large watches, it might catch on. :) (Are you listening Chris)? :)

I've included a link the the makers site and a link to how to use it.

Hope all's well with you,

Bob

http://www.astrolabe.ch/
http://www.uwsp.edu/physastr/rislove/as ... /index.htm
Bob Demers

Post by Bob Demers »

Sorry, I really should have posted my last post in the "Off topic" section.
Bob Demers
DavidM1
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidM1 »

Great piece in any case (or without a case!). Thanks for the info. :)
Kostya

Peregrine prototype

Post by Kostya »

The Peregrine, as it is, is not my cup of tea. I really like clean design lines of the Malvern Chronograph. If one would be available with automatic or hand-wind movement I'd definitely consider buying it.
bhindibhagee

Post by bhindibhagee »

I like the look of this watch a lot - from the pictures i've seen I prefer the one with the blue back and steel bracelet.

The only thing i'd change about it is the numbers - personally I strongly dwislike such big numerals on watches and think it's a bit cheap looking to only have the 12, 3, 6 and 9. In my opinion, for a watch of this style Breitling have perfected the display.
Warhol
Senior
Senior

Post by Warhol »

It's good to hear that someone likes te design!
I, however, find the watch getting uglier everytime a look at it.
A pity.. but this isn't going to make it I think.
DavidM1
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidM1 »

That's interesting. I'm finding it grows on me when I see it again. I think the changes outlined in one of the other posts mean that the numerals may have been cut for final production. All up I liked the changes.
DavidM1
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidM1 »

PS

Welcome bhindibhagee! Cambridge is a pretty place. I lived in St Barnabas Rd many years back.
bhindibhagee

Post by bhindibhagee »

DavidM1 wrote:PS

Welcome bhindibhagee! Cambridge is a pretty place. I lived in St Barnabas Rd many years back.
Haha it's a small world. Would have to agree with you about the prettiness, although it's rapidly diminishing as the long arms of london stretch out.
zach471
Senior
Senior

I just found the site, so excuse the late reply

Post by zach471 »

I think the silver version looks very good. I like the busy-ness of the dial, and 42mm is about as large as my wrist can support. My only issue with it is the quartz movement, it's a dealkiller in my opinion. But I'm finicky that way. I know that CW's aviator is an auto, so I'll probably pick one of those up.

Of couse, some of the more well-known ETA chrono movements would probably take this watch up a few price notches.