reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: A question of balance

Post by reggie747 »

Marvin wrote: How about new products, that are based on popular culture phenomenons - or products that could represent the future and ambitions of humankind?

Here's examples of both categories:

- Doctor Who "Time Lord" tribute watch range.
- First dual-time watch to have local time and planet Mars time (since manned Mars missions are now being planned).

Those would have been interesting.
Nar, we'll leave that $h1t to Bremont :D
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RustyinRochester »

For any logo re-design, there are usually numerous options presented for consideration. I would love to see the other designs in the proposal. This new one just doesn't cut it in my opinion.
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

as someone who's been through a couple of rebrands from the inside (most recently two years ago), i can tell you there's little chance anyone from CWL or hello will show us that kind of work process. only a small group of people at my company (10,000 people) saw more than a glimpse of the process. even as part of the corporate creative team, i only saw a subset of everything they went through. and even then, only because my boss (corporate creative director) shared it with me privately.
the "g" is for Greg...
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RustyinRochester »

gwells wrote:as someone who's been through a couple of rebrands from the inside (most recently two years ago), i can tell you there's little chance anyone from CWL or hello will show us that kind of work process. only a small group of people at my company (10,000 people) saw more than a glimpse of the process. even as part of the corporate creative team, i only saw a subset of everything they went through. and even then, only because my boss (corporate creative director) shared it with me privately.

Agreed, Greg. My point is, were there design ideas even worse (IMHO)?
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

sometimes you might think they were better. branding can be very subjective, and the logo portion of branding even moreso. a lot of times, depending on how a company approaches a rebrand, you end up with the dreaded "design by committee" solution. this tends to happen when the group deciding is larger, trying to please everyone, or fighting over ideas. and sometimes you get either small groups or just one person deciding and, if they're good clients, you can have really fantastic dialogues and come up with something that makes everyone happy.

we obviously have no insight on how the process went here. they could all be thrilled and on the same page with this result. or it could have been pulling different directions and this was more of a compromise solution. we'll never know unless they decide to open up and i wouldn't expect any company to do that.

not surprisingly, you'll never make everyone happy. i think the rebrand my current company did 2 years ago was very good. not perfect, but very good overall and considering the disparity of the two main groups in the company (architecture and engineering), better than i expected (especially considering the last rebrand, done in the early 90s, was not that great). but i really like it and i think most people in the company do as well. but there was a small group of complainers who always found something to bitch about.

not necessarily comparing that to us here, we're a different stakeholder than the employees of a company. but just pointing out that there are always unhappy people in a rebrand.
the "g" is for Greg...