The New C70 Chronometers

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
joeegg17
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

The New C70 Chronometers

Post by joeegg17 »

Is it a sign of the times that so few seems excited about the new release of C70 GP inspired Chronometers?
Certainly a low key response from the forum ( a quick search and i can't find any thread about the release being discussed ) , or is it that everyone else is as bored of them as I am ?

Garry.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: The New C70 Chronometers

Post by scooter »

To be honest Garry, I have never been a fan of them.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

I quite like the design (I had a dbr version once) but that was when they were standard movements and frankly were accurate enough. Just can't see the point of the COSC versions as it adds too great an expense (IMO) for little extra accuracy and the design has had its day.
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by gbbird »

I have always found them uninspiring as a watch. Some of the colour schemes work well and are perhaps nice to look at as an object, but not spmething to wear on ones wrist.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
Palstek
Senior
Senior

Post by Palstek »

If I am not mistaken (and I am sure that I will be corrected, if I am :-) ) then those c70s are not new releases but rather it is a renewed effort to market them again by CW.
At the very least the C70 are not in the "New" Section...
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

gbbird wrote:I have always found them uninspiring as a watch. Some of the colour schemes work well and are perhaps nice to look at as an object, but not spmething to wear on ones wrist.
Which neatly sums up my position too.

Having discovered watch collecting through the full price purchase of a C70 Vanwall COSC on launch - yes I'm the one!!! I then worked my way through the first release C70 Grand Prix series. I imagined I was collecting something wonderful. Then I realised that some watches just look better under studio lighting than they do on the wrist and I consider that I was lucky to flip them and recoup my outlay.

I keep the Vanwall COSC because I have short arms and long pockets and it would cause me too much agony to get rid of it at a significant financial loss. Apart from which it IS a great chrono with a 12-hour dial so it does get chrono use from time to time.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

Palstek wrote:If I am not mistaken (and I am sure that I will be corrected, if I am :-) ) then those c70s are not new releases but rather it is a renewed effort to market them again by CW.
You're not mistaken, that is exactly what it is...

I actually like all four, particularly the Brooklands on brown leather, but cannot justify circa £600 for another Quartz.
joeegg17
Guru
Guru

Post by joeegg17 »

Palstek wrote:If I am not mistaken (and I am sure that I will be corrected, if I am :-) ) then those c70s are not new releases but rather it is a renewed effort to market them again by CW.
At the very least the C70 are not in the "New" Section...
How can you have a initial limited release and then re-release another limited release of exactly the same item.
That makes no sense at all if it's true , and I'm not even sure it's legal .
Surely that's misselling .
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

joeegg17 wrote:How can you have a initial limited release and then re-release another limited release of exactly the same item.
It's not a re-release, it's the same watches. They're obviously not selling very quickly, so CWL are putting more effort into advertising/marketing them. Makes perfect sense and clearly nothing illegal going on.
joeegg17
Guru
Guru

Post by joeegg17 »

Scrogg wrote:
joeegg17 wrote:How can you have a initial limited release and then re-release another limited release of exactly the same item.
It's not a re-release, it's the same watches. They're obviously not selling very quickly, so CWL are putting more effort into advertising/marketing them. Makes perfect sense and clearly nothing illegal going on.
Ahh , now it makes sense .
Getting an email suggesting i invest in the new GP Chronometers led me to believe they were "new" , not just unsold stock .
medtech71
Senior
Senior

Post by medtech71 »

This oughta inspire some to purchase at full price...at a $1000 for a quartz, we're getting into Tag territory...
Rolex DateJust 126300 slate grey dial, Rolex 216570 Explorer II Polar, Rolex 16610 Submariner, Omega AT small seconds 2 tone, CW Worldtimer, Seiko Cocktail time, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Orient USA white
Crocs477
Senior
Senior

Post by Crocs477 »

Even at clearance price I'm not really interested (or wasn't).
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by teestech »

gbbird wrote:I have always found them uninspiring as a watch. Some of the colour schemes work well and are perhaps nice to look at as an object, but not spmething to wear on ones wrist.
tikkathree wrote:Having discovered watch collecting through the full price purchase of a C70 Vanwall COSC on launch - yes I'm the one!!! I then worked my way through the first release C70 Grand Prix series. I imagined I was collecting something wonderful. Then I realised that some watches just look better under studio lighting than they do on the wrist and I consider that I was lucky to flip them and recoup my outlay.
These two posts pretty much reflect my position too. I, like Pete, bought a full price C70, the BRG (I know, I know, full price, what an idiot!) at the beginning of my watch journey.

I still do quite like the aesthetics of it, but can't deny that it spends all it's time in the watch box. I wore it when I went to Silverstone as I wanted to wear a racing inspired watch, and perhaps 2 or 3 other times in total. It stays in the collection partly, as Pete says, because knowing the hit I'd take somehow (irrationally) feels worse than wasting the whole amount by leaving it in the box, but also because it does still mark a particular part of my watch collecting journey, so has relevance.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

I've never liked these and don't really understand why they produced them.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

The New C70 Chronometers

Post by gaf1958 »

I like them, I like the colours, but I'd never buy one.
Even for me, they're too bright, brash and bold. Anyone for some more alliteration?
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier