Downers Rules of Collecting

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Downers Rules of Collecting

Post by Dancematt »

Personally I see these rules as doing more harm than good to watch collecting + new blood coming into the market, of which there is less and less these days anyways. Rationale is a good thing but a watch purchase is an emotional decision, using logic would 9 times out of ten result in no sale made. Rules 2, 6 and 8 could potentially go against the Christopher Ward marketing model imo. I'd say this would be better placed in the other brands section on which it's based but I'm probably over thinking all this as per usual.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by jtc »

I think the first one or two watches purchased are always emotional and will never have logic applied. I see these rules as applying more to the collector - be that a seasoned one, or someone who's just getting into it. After all, having one or two watches is merely the start :)
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

To be fair, I think Richard originally formulated the rules for himself – I don't think it was ever his intention to promulgate a set of rules for everyone to follow. Collecting new or modern watches you know what is available and can be fairly sure that a watch bought from one AD will be the same as a watch bought from a rival. My own collecting is based around vintage watches, and from experience I know that you need to be a little more opportunistic. Horses for courses.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I agree with both statements about which is why I thought it out of context to sticky it now.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The title states Downers Rules of Collecting.

I also state that...
He has discovered, over the years, a formula that works for him in the collecting field. Many will find that these rules can be applied in one form or another.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
josquin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by josquin »

Generally speaking, a very good set of rules. I'll continue to disregard the bracelet rule, however, since I never seem to enjoy them. I bought a C60 GMT on bracelet and initially felt ok with it but even that I've changed to a leather strap.

My one rule for any collecting is to buy always without thinking of future profit so just buy for yourself. Trends and circumstances always change so there's not much point trying to gaze into a crystal ball to see what will make a profit in the future.
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

Doing pretty well these days in living by this code.
Ailurophile
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 5

Post by Ailurophile »

I've come to arrive at many of these same rules, without of course, actually codifying them.

I'm very appreciative of #10. I almost always buy a watch with the OEM bracelet and figure if I want to change it to a strap, I can easily find an aftermarket one.
lostguy
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by lostguy »

My rule when it comes to any hobbies: step away

Take a break for a while. Tunnel vision and obsessiveness is not a good thing. You can get totally caught up in the community and culture which is a double-edged sword. You can lose perspective on the hobby itself and where it sits in your life. This is not only in terms of monetary loss, but you lose sight of the value it brings to your life (maybe it's a lot less than you think). When you return, you'll be more in-tune with your values, wants and desires.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

lostguy wrote:My rule when it comes to any hobbies: step away

Take a break for a while. Tunnel vision and obsessiveness is not a good thing. You can get totally caught up in the community and culture which is a double-edged sword. You can lose perspective on the hobby itself and where it sits in your life. This is not only in terms of monetary loss, but you lose sight of the value it brings to your life (maybe it's a lot less than you think). When you can return, you'll be more in-tune with your values, wants and desires.
Exactly :thumbup:
Littorio
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Littorio »

Good advice and set of rules, I'm now into double figures with my watches although a couple, both my Seiko's are pre-collecting when collecting wasn't even a thought in my head. I'm also on a budget, so far none of my watches has been more than £500 although there are a couple I'm aiming for above that, a Hamilton, a Tag and a Montblanc. So for me it's one or at most two watches a year.

Oh just added a Tissot PRS 516 Auto to the collection
Seiko 1989 Sports 150 Gold / Sports Chrono Ti
CW C70 Ad Astra / C60 Trident pro Orange bezel / FLE 2015
Tissot T-Touch classic / PRS 516 Auto Blue Face
Bulova Marine Star Red face
Alpina Seastrong HSW Red bezel
Vostok Amfibia Turbina
danieleh
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by danieleh »

lostguy wrote:My rule when it comes to any hobbies: step away

Take a break for a while. Tunnel vision and obsessiveness is not a good thing. You can get totally caught up in the community and culture which is a double-edged sword. You can lose perspective on the hobby itself and where it sits in your life. This is not only in terms of monetary loss, but you lose sight of the value it brings to your life (maybe it's a lot less than you think). When you return, you'll be more in-tune with your values, wants and desires.
I think this is some pretty good advice (coming from a person with drawers filled with photo equipment collecting dust)
C60 Pro 600,C5 Malvern Slimline
Archimede Pilot 39H
Brathwait Automatic Minimalist (Girlfriend uses)
Orient Bambino (Rose), Esteem (Black)
Victorinox Inox
Pebble Steel, Apple Watch Sport
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I meant to say this first time around so it is nice to have a second chance to say:-

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

As Downer says they are his personal thoughts that others may find useful. Everyone has their own way to approach hobbies which are supposed to be fun. Otherwise why do it as a hobby? I know my hobby in watches is quite different from Downer's so most of these "rules" have been immediately ignored.

Be yourself.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
anthony_b
Junior
Junior

Post by anthony_b »

Rule seven runs true for me. I get a bit obsessed with making the right decision. There is a sales rules which says that the buyer gets remorse, for the path not taken, when allowed too long to decide. I think I may be too aware of that and take longer than is sensible to make certain I am happy with my choice. Sadly, this usually involves a spreadsheet!
LordFlashheart
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by LordFlashheart »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:My favourites are 3 and 9, but I would also respectfully add a Rule 11:

"Remember that there are times when you need to chuck the rule book out of the window and go with your gut feeling!"
I'd agree with this. More often than not your gut instinct will be right. And that could well change quite a lot over time which may be a surprise too so "Expect the unexpected".
Per Titanium Ad Tea Room.