Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Oris aquis vs new trident

Post by rcherryuk »

smegwina wrote: Fantastic watch, spoiled by the extremely limiting lug arrangement.

I always get a pang of jealousy when I see it though! :)
But it's easy to get another strap made, I've got a lovely soft Toshi strap in a drawer for it, hmm, now where did I put those screwdrivers?

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
chester
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 7

Post by chester »

The Aquis was yards nicer than the old C60 but with the introduction of the MK 2 it's much closer but the Oris is still the better of the two.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

You've observed both in person, chester?
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
ronjohn
Senior
Senior

Post by ronjohn »

Just noticed this Oris has ordinary lugs

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I have an Oris Aquis (rubber strap) and a C60. The Aquis is lighter and has a better wet suit expansion. Both are great watches and it depends upon your own preference for style.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'm regurgitating this old thread having tried on an Aquis 39.5mm tonight and compared to my Trident mk2.5 38mm that I was wearing at the time.

This is not so much to disparage the Aquis but to extol the quality of the CW.

Visually it was hard to notice much difference is size between the larger Aquis, possibly due to a marginally wider bezel perhaps.

It was probably a bad example of the Aquis, a Friday afternoon one so to speak, but the bezel had an unbelievable amount of waggle/play when compared to the Trident which is so tight and precise.

The Trident has the micro-adjustable bracelet whch I think edges the Aquis which has no apparent adjustment although it does have a divers extension which my Trident bracelet doesn't. I think I also prefer the middle polished link as opposed to the inner brushed, outer polished links on the Aquis. The other benefit of the Trident is the standard lugs, the Aquis has this unique lug arrangement with special screws in the drilled lugs so finding compatible straps would be a challenge.

The dial and handset on the Aquis is very nice and the one I tried was a dark navy blue almost black dial, although I prefer the Lake Baikal/Clean Ocean dial albeit they had none of these in stock.

Overall the case and crown of the Trident I felt had a slightly more weighty and solid/quality feel to the Aquis, hard to believe when the Trident I got in the sale for I recall under £400 whereas the Aquis retails at about £1,550.

Conclusion, the Aquis is a very nice watch with a selection of some lovely dials (the green dial and water based LE's in particular) however the Trident mk2 and I believe the mk3 (having handled one at the GTG although I don't yet own one) are stunning value and stand up so well in comparison.

Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Taken this morning. Both super duper watches, but as you say, the C60 provides absolutely outstanding vfm.

Ryan
tomc1944
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by tomc1944 »

I have both and enjoy each for their individual qualities but I have to say the Oris Aquis is a step up from the CW. The build quality is in another league. That said it should be for the extra dollars it cost.
C60 Trident GMT MKIII, C60 Trident MKII, C65 Vintage Diver, Oris Williams Chronograph, Oris Big Crown Bronze Brown Dial, Tudor 1926 white 41MM.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

This thread seems a bit old, so the 'new' trident isn't the newest Trident anymore...! :lol:
Does anyone have the latest Trident and an Oris Aquis to compare those too? Just wondering if the latest Trident brings build quality any closer to the Aquis.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Yep, I've had both MK2 & MK3 C60s to compare to the latest Aquis, although I only handled the MK3 briefly before returning it.

The Aquis is definitely better than the MK2 in quality imo. At first glance and handling it may not appear entirely obvious, but it's something I picked up on more with ownership/frequent wear.
Re. the MK3, in terms of build quality, there is very little (if any) discernible difference with the Aquis. CW have done a solid job with it, although I haven't lived with a Mk3 for an extended period so the above may apply.
I didn't attempt to wear the MK3 bracelet due to the return, but if it's anything like as comfortable and well screwed (sorry pinned :D) together as the Oris, they've done really well.

For me though, build quality is just one measure when judging watches. All subjective of course, but if I were to compare aesthetics, comfort to name a few more, the Oris wins quite comprehensively imo.

That said, CW changed the game when it comes to pricing and will always take some beating. I feel even the current C60 represents incredible vfm.
Lets be honest though, if CW were a traditional manufacturer with AD networks, large-scale advertising/sponsorship etc, we'd probably be talking similar prices to the Aquis, so it should be there or thereabouts.

As it is, a MK3 is £695 on bracelet with the ever-present 100off, whereas the Aquis can be sourced new on bracelet from an AD for less than £1100 now.
Is it worth ~£400 more? Can't answer for anybody else, but the answer is a yes from me.

I've posted this photo elsewhere, maybe even twice before, but everyone loves a pretty picture and it's all relevant ...
Ryan
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I have 7 Oris watches and sold or returned all of my CW's including a faulty Elite Mk3. Oris in my opinion feels better put together and touch wood I've never had a problem with any of them - I also prefer the quality of Oris bracelets, but would prefer normal lugs.

As for price, yes CW are cheaper but if you wait for the right deal to present itself then as Ryan states deals can be had. I've picked up most of mine at 50% off.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Thanks both. I have been thinking that I may finally buy a new watch later this year (haven't actually bought a new watch since 2012) and if it's a CW, it's the Elite 1000 that has ticked all the boxes I've been wanting in a watch for a while. (I was never into the Mk2 handset) But the Aquis range keeps attracting me too with a couple of the LEs that have come and gone being really attractive. The strap lugs have put me off in the past - as another poster in this thread also commented about - but it's probably actually going to be a hard decision come crunch time!