CW Achieves High "GQ" Score

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
problem son
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

CW Achieves High "GQ" Score

Post by problem son »

I recently praised Christopher Ward for their wonderful Italian sports car red chronograph which I saw beautifully portrayed in a car magazine, and I wish to congratulate Christopher and his company on their very lovely advertisements in the car magazines I have on subscription, even though I am not a complete convert to all Christopher's motorsport related watches.

Having spent quite a long time in hospital waiting rooms lately, I tend to go through what magazines they have on offer, and in the oncology Department I have been frequenting quite frequently over the last month or two, I read a back copy of GQ Magazine and was interested to see that they include watches in their remit, and also I found the magazine interesting to read.

I decided to try the current issue of GQ and, after reading a fascinating article on Malcom X, I came across the editorial watch column which dealt with the new version of Patek Philippe's perpetual calendar chronograph. A lovely watch if you can afford it. But6 then almost immediately, my attention was drawn to a beautifully understated advert for the CW C9 Harrison Big Day-Date Automatic on the facing page, and I was absolutely taken by the gorgeous elegance and simplicity of this Christopher Ward masterpiece - a watch that those with more normal incomes can afford.

This March issue of GQ later goes on to show yet another special Christopher Ward watch - again an elegant and classically simple design belying complex workings. This wonderful watch is the C9 Harrison Jumping Hour MkIII, costing £1250. The watch is shown on the same page as a Raymond Weil automatic chronograph with a black face and red and white dials and numbers. The Raymond Weil chrono is very nice and costs £2995, but somehow just isn't as special as that extraordinary CW Harrison Jumping Hour.

No wonder, as GQ puts it: Christopher Ward watches is a brand that is "going from strength to strength." My own feeling is that Christopher's vision seems to always be current, even when the watches he produces also take us back to an earlier period in watchmaking.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: CW Achieves High "GQ" Score

Post by DEV.Woulf »

That's great news. Strength to strength is correct. The more CW does the more I feel proud to wear their watches. They're getting better all the time, as that Sgt. Pepper bloke said. Even with this recent COSC fiasco they apologized and offered to fix any problem. They turned it into into a positive and a reaffirmation of their famous customer service. Of course, the SH21 was a huge step for everyone. Where else to get an in-house movement that is affordable, other than NOMOS? I hope CW continues the fine work and grows into a bigger brand, even if that means the prices go up a bit. *ducks shoes being thrown at me*
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I'm not sure about any of this (got a few Japanese shoes for you Deverica at least :lol: ...just kidding) because frankly what man on this planet buys a GQ and reads an article BEFORE looking at the watch section....frankly I smell a rat :problem:
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Dylanh99
Junior
Junior

Post by Dylanh99 »

Agreed on all counts. Great watches, carefully and expertly marketed!
"He not busy being born is busy dying!" -Bob Dylan
problem son
Guru
Guru

Post by problem son »

Now look here Hodor...no rats round here, I assure you. I have now actually subscribed to GQ and shall discontinue one of my two car mag subscriptions, keeping Car Magazine because it does actually have a watch column. There seems to be a certain level of interest in watches in GQ together with some interesting reading material, and the subscription was much cheaper than the normal selling price of the magazine.
problem son
Guru
Guru

Post by problem son »

Ooops, sorry about calling you "Hodor" dear Dancematt but the word was in your post at the bottom. I'm wrote my reply a bit too quickly as I am having to organise a hospital admission so I might be away from the Forum for a bit.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

That's cool dude but I hope you realise by the sheer ridiculousness of my post that I was just having a laugh?
I miss all the great things that may never be.