CW-Forum Special Edition

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Would you be interested in buying a CW-Forum limited edition?

Yes, that sounds very interesting, count me in!
21%
I don't know yet, depends on the model and modifications
79%
No thanks, I'll skip
No votes

Total votes: 43

Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

CW-Forum Special Edition

Post by Hans »

Would you be interested in buying a CW-Forum Limited Edition? A Christopher Ward model, specially designed for the members of this forum?
cstef
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 5

Post by cstef »

You bet!
when would that be possible?
C3SSK,C4SST,C5AKK,C5AWT,C6LE5,
Stowa Seatime Blue, STOWA PRODIVER LIMETTE,
Stowa MO, Steinhart Aviation Automatik; JS Watch-Islandus; Aristo Sextant; Dievas Diver;
Vostok Europe Exp 06;
Hans

Post by Hans »

I guess that is up to us, if there are enough interested forum-members, and we can manage to agree on the details of the special edition, I guess we can arrange things with CW within a few months.
projman
CW-watches: 0

forum special edition

Post by projman »

ideal opportunity to test the woody dial concept ? !
okey diddley dokey
Terminator

Re: forum special edition

Post by Terminator »

When I first saw this thread I was cautious about it. Only because there are so many opinions, likes and dislikes in here. Should it be quartz ??? Should it be Auto ??? Should it be gold ??? etc etc. I would be scared to sign up for something that ended up being nothing like anything I would want to buy. It is a hard question to answer indeed. So I had to pick the safe option ie " depends on the model and modifications ". Then I got to the post prior to this one which gave me light at the end of the tunnel.
projman wrote:ideal opportunity to test the woody dial concept ? !

Your a star projman lmao. I wouldnt have suggested it myself because it was my idea in the first place lol. However it did seem a reasonably popular concept so it may be a start at least as far as the dial is concerned. However it will be a hard job for Hans, Chris etc to organise a limited edition watch designed by forum members. As I say there are so many likes and dislikes but Im with projman. I will go for the " Woody " at least as far as the dial is concerned lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

Hans, I voted that it depends on the model/features.

I have some questions about this. Do you know what the parameters are? How "custom" can the watch be? The next question paired with that is, how many have to be ordered for Chris to be able to do it? Let's face it, when you posted the question/poll, I think we all thought "Awesome!!!" and immediately pictured our dream watch, which probably wouldn't match anyone else's. So, assuming we could come to a common ground, the question becomes, how many have to be made to make it financially feasible, what would the cost of each be, and what could we have changed?

Do we have the ability to completely customize it, or merely make some small modifications to an existing model?

Personally, I like Nico's watch and would love to see something like that or the C1. But, I think we are going to have one major stumbling block...the movement. I am not personally interested in a quartz, and I suspect there are many others that feel the same way. Knowing that CW can't get the mechanical movements for even the watches he wants to make, makes it seem unlikely we can get one in a custom version.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
Hans

Post by Hans »

My suggestion would be that if we want it to be a special edition Christopher Ward it should not be a completely new design but based on an existing CW-model, with some nice mods we all could agree on. I will start the dialogue with CW about what would be possible and what not, and what the numbers would have to be.

And regarding quartz/mechanical: it is my guess that a lot of forum-members will prefer a mechanical version, including myself. I look at it from the positive site: if we would be able to go for a mechanical limited CW, there is plenty of time to get agreement with CW on the exact specifications because of the fact that mechanical movements are not available currently.

Hope to let you guys know more within the next couple of days.
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by President »

Hans wrote:My suggestion would be that if we want it to be a special edition Christopher Ward it should not be a completely new design but based on an existing CW-model, with some nice mods we all could agree on. I will start the dialogue with CW about what would be possible and what not, and what the numbers would have to be.

And regarding quartz/mechanical: it is my guess that a lot of forum-members will prefer a mechanical version, including myself. I look at it from the positive site: if we would be able to go for a mechanical limited CW, there is plenty of time to get agreement with CW on the exact specifications because of the fact that mechanical movements are not available currently.

Hope to let you guys know more within the next couple of days.
I think you mean "automatic"
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by joerattz »

I don't know. It seems like at one time, Chris was itching to do the Kingfisher with a mechanical movement. After someone (can't remember who) pointed out the inconvenience of having to constantly unscrew the crown to manually wind the watch, I became disinterested in a mechanical for the diver. To me, logically, the diver makes far more sense to be automatic.

But, there seem to be many on here that would also like a mechanical. I know it is too late now, but if Chris was wanting to do a mechanical like a 6497/6498, I think the Aviator would have been the model to do it on. Imagine the aviator with a 6498 and fligher crown. But of course, a mechanical would work nicely on a dress watch too like the C1, so there is still time for that.

So, Hans might have meant mechanical or automatic. We'll see...
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by President »

I'd prefer an automatic on the "forum watch."
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by joerattz »

Regardless of what the watch turns out to be, if there is enough of an interest for Chris to be able to do it, a small limited edition could add that extra specialness to the watch. I don't know the quantity necessary to make if doable, but wouldn't it be cool to own 1 of only 100, or something like that.

Hans

Post by Hans »

President wrote: I think you mean "automatic"
No, I mean mechanical. You have quartz-movements, and you have mechanical movements. What we call an automatic movement is a mechanical movement with a rotor so you don't have to wind it by hand.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Joe is right. It will be hard to agree. I prefer a quartz watch for everyday use but I would be prepared to compromise with you all for a one off watch. For me my ideal custom CWL watch ( with the compromise ) would be a C1 with a Burr Walnut Dial and a mechanical movement. I would hope for the CWL logo to be raised with a gold finish instead of printing and raised gold numerals with high quality detailing with the hands etc. I would also prefer to see a bigger date than the current CWL ones. It is personal opinion but the current dates are far to small and I have damn good close up eyesight.

Only drawback with this is that I was hoping to push Chris into actually producing it lmao. If it is an LE then he wont realise what a good seller it might have been.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

P.S. I know Hans quite liked the idea of a standard walnut dial rather than a burr walnut one so this one is for Hans.

:wink:

It looks okay actually, not as overstated as the burr. :P

Nico
Guru
Guru

Post by Nico »

I like the idea of a "Forum-edition" very much!!!

I would only buy a mechanical watch (automatic or hand-wind).

I think the idea with the wooden dial is very good and special. I like the designs!

But I know from other forums, that it is very hard to bring down all ideas and wishes to a common denominator!

My wishes:

- mechanical movement
- wooden dial

Nico