Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Urbandog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: Sellita instead ETA in my C60 COSC

Post by Urbandog »

theaub wrote:
MadJam250 wrote:I am amazed at some of the responses on here, some of which are no better than trolling/stirring. The company has responded, apologising and stating that an enquiry in to this error is ongoing. Surely, despite the uptightness of this all, all that can happen now is to wait.
Couldn't agree more. Think I'll just stay away from this thread; it's beginning to get out of hand and lose all sense of proportion. I know that there is a serious malfunction somewhere in the manufacturing system, but let's all just wait for CW to investigate - please. Right, I'm out of here and won't be reading anymore stuff on this thread. Besides, I'm still smarting from Wales' defeat to England tonight. So don't anybody pick on me....
Just my two cents, the company has responded to KIP. as far i can see, there hes been no contact with the customer with the problem. Anybody who sells a product with it own name on it should call the customer direct when something like this happens and not communicate through a forum member. A direct call to the paying customer with a direct apology instead of a email with "bear with me until we figure this out" would have been 200% beter. i for one am disappointed about the customer service quality from CW at this moment.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

nbg wrote:I don't have any comment about the main thrust of the thread - other than lets just wait for CW to respond. However I have found the various technical info about COSC/Regulation/ETA/Sellita informative! Thanks. :wink:

Neil

Im the same , i would rather wait until CWL responded to this before making any comments .
Bernie
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by 38911 »

Kip wrote:
38911 wrote: Almost any movement can be regulated to meet COSC. What matters is whether is can meet COSC a decade down the line - this is what you pay for! The COSC version of the 2824 is based on their 'Top' Grade movement. This movement has the necessary improvements that ensure not only does it meet COSC when regulated, it continues to meet it for many years to come.

The Sellita movements that CW have sold may have been regulated to COSC accuracy.... but I very much doubt they will be that accurate in 5 years time!

This may sound like a 'first world problem' but don't forget CW charged a significant premium specifically because of the movement in these watches. To them fob them off with a lesser movement is, at best, grossly incompetent - or at worse, downright fraudulent.
It would help if you would investigate before making assumptions. The facts about the Sellita SW200-1 are here. You may wish to take note on page 4.

BTW - while it is true that you are paying for a better movement with COSC, I know of no manufacturer that guarantees the movement to remain within COSC specs beyond the point of warranty. However, you are at least increasing your odds.

Nothing to do with the issue at hand, I just wanted to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the info Kip.

I have a 1997 COSC grade watch that is still well within COSC accuracy despite never having been serviced or regulated, so I have no experience of whether it's accuracy is guaranteed beyond warranty as its not been necessary to find out.

We also have a 2005 non COSC grade watch in the family that we had regulated to COSC accuracy. It remained that way for about 2 years but slowly drifted. Nowadays it's about 30 seconds a day fast.

So I guess that whilst CW didn't manage to put the right manufacturers movement in the watch, the hope is that they did put the right grade of the wrong manufacturers movement in. Good job I'm not a betting man because Im not convinced those odds are all that great.

But you are right - the real issue here is one of mis-selling, either because somebody made a very basic and fundamental error (whether that be in printing or supplier management or in assembly), or someone deliberately switched movements without telling the customer.
---
Rolex Submariner 14060
Tudor Heritage Black Bay Red
Seiko FlightMaster
Tissot 1853
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Urbandog wrote:
theaub wrote:
MadJam250 wrote:I am amazed at some of the responses on here, some of which are no better than trolling/stirring. The company has responded, apologising and stating that an enquiry in to this error is ongoing. Surely, despite the uptightness of this all, all that can happen now is to wait.
Couldn't agree more. Think I'll just stay away from this thread; it's beginning to get out of hand and lose all sense of proportion. I know that there is a serious malfunction somewhere in the manufacturing system, but let's all just wait for CW to investigate - please. Right, I'm out of here and won't be reading anymore stuff on this thread. Besides, I'm still smarting from Wales' defeat to England tonight. So don't anybody pick on me....
Just my two cents, the company has responded to KIP. as far i can see, there hes been no contact with the customer with the problem.........
(highlights added by me)

so you have taken the situation 'as far as you can see it', and moved directly to claiming this view as fact. and then made some angry pronouncements on the basis of these 'facts'. i have no problem with people on a forum being angry about something they are in full possession of the facts about - that's called having an opinion. but this is simply stirring outrage for the sake of it. i'm sorry urbandog for using your post as an example - there have been plenty of others on this thread.

simply - i'm with a growing number of other forumites who choose to defer forming an opinion on the company until i know what the problem is with the company, and how the company are going to deal with the problem. i have no space in my life for sitting around stewing in self-stoked outrage.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Urbandog
Senior
Senior

Post by Urbandog »

The topic starter has reported every contact with CW. nothing about a personal statement towards him.

And i state it as my opinion not as a fact. As a business owner myself i know that customer relations is the most important aspect of every company. in my OPINION CW has dropped the ball is this case by responding very late on the forum and not directly to the paying customer.

so missF, Next time you want to make a point do it with your one opinion and leave me out of it.
bendry
CW-watches: 1

Post by bendry »

Urbandog wrote:The topic starter has reported every contact with CW. nothing about a personal statement towards him.

And i state it as my opinion not as a fact. As a business owner myself i know that customer relations is the most important aspect of every company. in my OPINION CW has dropped the ball is this case by responding very late on the forum and not directly to the paying customer.

so missF, Next time you want to make a point do it with your one opinion and leave me out of it.
Yep I confirm, Chr Ward "himself" didn't contact me.
Anyway, weather he contact me in person or not is not really my conscern.
But I agree that they should at least have a one ton one answer to those who contact them for this issue.
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tooks »

If I could just don my wig and play the role of judge for a moment, could I remind members of the jury that we have heard the case for the prosecution, and that you should strike from the record the many and spurious posts that have no relevance to the case at hand.

There is now an adjournment whilst the defence prepare their case, so I would urge members of the jury to engage in watch conversation of a more pleasant nature, before we resume the formalities?

[/takes off wig...]
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
bashomatsuo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by bashomatsuo »

Pass the black cap?

Personally, I am sure they will sort it out.
Originally joined as basho on Fri Dec 15, 2006!
Watches: G-Shock GWG Mudmaster, Citizen ProDiver, Omega Moonwatch
Reviews: Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch - Christopher Ward Trident Pro 600 - Watches, Homages and Branding
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Tooks wrote:If I could just don my wig and play the role of judge for a moment, could I remind members of the jury that we have heard the case for the prosecution, and that you should strike from the record the many and spurious posts that have no relevance to the case at hand.

There is now an adjournment whilst the defence prepare their case, so I would urge members of the jury to engage in watch conversation of a more pleasant nature, before we resume the formalities?

[/takes off wig...]
God no. We love a drama! :D
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

Urbandog wrote:Just my two cents, the company has responded to KIP. as far i can see, there hes been no contact with the customer with the problem. Anybody who sells a product with it own name on it should call the customer direct when something like this happens and not communicate through a forum member. A direct call to the paying customer with a direct apology instead of a email with "bear with me until we figure this out" would have been 200% beter. i for one am disappointed about the customer service quality from CW at this moment.
Kip works for CWL running their USA office & runs this forum for CWL - it makes sense that they would talk to him about an issue which (while real for some owners) is being blown up out of all proportion (based on what is known) by some on the forum...

the OP had this answer from CWL:
"Hmm it looks like you are correct, I have passed your e-mail on to CW himself and will await what he has to say."
that was effectively one business day ago - I suspect that it might take a little time for CWL to find out exactly what has happened / whether it is a small or big issue / whether there is an ongoing issue...
CWL have said to the OP that they will find out by passing the enquiry to Chris himself... I would have thought that is the ideal person to be dealing with that...

so there has been contact with the OP
the issue is not yet closed
the boss is dealing with it
I have no doubt the OP will be contacted when all is known / when a solution is available
the reality is that we aren't really entitled to be kept in the loop, but through Kip CWL are courteously keeping us up to date - a good sign of their superb customer service

I do think that it would be courteous to give CWL the chance to sort this out

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
Ranger
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 19

Post by Ranger »

"i have no space in my life for sitting around stewing in self-stoked outrage."

Good for you, except that you appear to be outraged by the outrage.
Gettin' A Whole Lot Older Every Day...
Senior
Senior

Post by 38911 »

Ranger wrote:"i have no space in my life for sitting around stewing in self-stoked outrage."

Good for you, except that you appear to be outraged by the outrage.
May I join you by being outraged that you are outraged by MissF's outrage in respect to the outrage.

After all, it's simply outrageous :clap:
---
Rolex Submariner 14060
Tudor Heritage Black Bay Red
Seiko FlightMaster
Tissot 1853
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by bspj »

smegwina wrote:
welshlad wrote:I'm waiting for someone to confirm that they have actually got an ETA movement in their C60 COSC! Or are they ALL Sellitas? :shock:
I am assuming that Steve (bspj) has an ETA in his as it went back for repairs recently. One would hope that if the person doing the repair opened the back and saw a Sellita in a COSC, they would have said something. Surely they would have the knowledge to know what should be sitting in the case??
I have deliberately kept out of this but it HAS been quietly bugging me......because if it has a Sellita and somebody at Maidenhead noticed and said nothing I would be profoundly upset......it comes close to an integrity issue. This is why I had been quiet until there might be more clarity. I am keen not to make ill considered or unfounded allegations.

I also am very keen NOT to throw allegations (or any other substance) at the fan until there is clarity from CW.....I am sure they will be looking at this with significant interest and trying hard to evaluate the magnitude of the issue. It would be really impressive if (in light of their investigations) they contacted me personally to tell me which movement I have.
Steve
MattC
Expert
Expert

Post by MattC »

[quote It would be really impressive if (in light of their investigations) they contacted me personally to tell me which movement I have.[/quote]

Well there are only 500 of us with one so it shouldn't be unrealistic to expect it in my opinion
MkI C60 Chronometer
MkII C60
Orient Mako Diver
GMT Master II 116710BLNR
Submariner 116610LV
Samsung fit smartwatch thingy
Zenas
Junior
Junior

Post by Zenas »

Does anyone know how many C60 COSC watches were sold? I wonder if CWL will be able to determine from internal documents how many watches were sold with the incorrect movement, or if they instead will have to rely on customer inspections or returns to quantify the magnitude of this issue. Time will tell, and CW's response to this issue will be telling indeed.