CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Is six weeks repair resonable?

Post by ianblyth »

When I had to send my Breitling for service they quoted 13 weeks and it was. It seems quite a lot of the big manufacturers are about that time span or greater. 6 weeks sounds good to me.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Gradie
Senior
Senior

Post by Gradie »

Re: 60/60, if they replace the movement I don't think you'll get a 'new' 60 month warranty, but probably the balance of your original 60 will remain. Moat companies wouldn't give you a whole new warranty, and some even treat a replacement as ending your original warranty.
hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by hsukirk »

6 weeks is v good imo. JLCs will tell you up to 6 months and will be lucky to have within 9 months. Most other big players will quote anything between 3-5 months.

Your warranty will be the same 5 yrs I guess.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Recently sent my IWC for a quick health-check as it was not performing flawlessly. The AD quoted 5 weeks turnaround, which surprised me to be honest.
Richard
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

I hadn't realised some watch makers took 5 or 6 months to perform a repair or service. That's just bad, inexcusable indifferent service to customers who have forked out very considerable sums of cash for one their products. I'm genuinely taken aback by that. it's unacceptable and inexcusable in my view, and I can't imagine that most people know and accept this at the time of making what is a very significant purchase.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

hsukirk wrote:6 weeks is v good imo. JLCs will tell you up to 6 months and will be lucky to have within 9 months. Most other big players will quote anything between 3-5 months.

I was quoted 12-16 weeks for my Reverso to be serviced and it came back in 7.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by gbbird »

Leo David wrote:I hadn't realised some watch makers took 5 or 6 months to perform a repair or service. That's just bad, inexcusable indifferent service to customers who have forked out very considerable sums of cash for one their products. I'm genuinely taken aback by that. it's unacceptable and inexcusable in my view, and I can't imagine that most people know and accept this at the time of making what is a very significant purchase.
I agree, especially when it happens within a warranty period. It astounds me that one can spend thousands of pounds on an item and then due to manufacturing or QA issues be without it for such a length of time. What astounds me even further is that customers accept this as being 'reasonable'. Absolute madness. Sadly, I know from distant acquaintances that the longer it takes to repair, the more expensive the watch and subsequent 'kudos' one has for owning it.I kid you not, I knew someone who owned many luxury watches, and he often bragged about the length of time it took to service/repair one! Sad I know

6 weeks for a repair would be the absolute maximum I would be prepared to wait, and even then I would not class it as reasonable. If a watch breaks in the warranty period due to obvious manufacturing faults then at the very least I would expect a temporary replacement or a refund.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

6 weeks for a repair would be the absolute maximum I would be prepared to wait, and even then I would not class it as reasonable
Me too. I'm into my hi-fi and guitars and I would not expect to wait more than 6 weeks for either to be repaired by the manufacturer or an approved agent. As for accepting absurdly long delays as some sort of a badge honour, what can I? say? The mind boggles. I'm just about to buy a new (to me) Gretch guitar and I would be massively brassed off if that went wrong and then took half a year to put it right. LD
Zenas
Junior
Junior

Post by Zenas »

When I first read this post, I thought 6 weeks was excessive. After reading the other posts, and thinking more about other products, 6 weeks is probably a fairly average wait time.
Dr Moose
Senior
Senior

Post by Dr Moose »

In comparison a battery change for my Breitling used to be done walk in on the spot by the importer in Hong Kong, a man in a white coat would personally bring it out to me after 20 mins as he inspected the movement and cleaned the case and strap.

Alas this kind of service no longer happens. A teenager at the front desk takes your watch and returns it 10 mins later with a quote and timespan to send it back to Switzerland. I no longer use the Breiltling service centre.

Whilst 6 weeks is too long its better that some.
C9 JH3, C9 chrono LE, C70 D-Type,
U-Boat IFO
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
Memphis Belle B747 LE
Breitling Aerospace
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by hsukirk »

nbg wrote:
hsukirk wrote:6 weeks is v good imo. JLCs will tell you up to 6 months and will be lucky to have within 9 months. Most other big players will quote anything between 3-5 months.

I was quoted 12-16 weeks for my Reverso to be serviced and it came back in 7.

Neil
I have never had my Reverso (over 20 occasions) returned within 7 weeks from JLC AD in London & might need to switch AD now. :D
chrisw
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by chrisw »

Rolex service quoted 6-8 weeks and from the sound of things on other forums that would be the best case scenario. got it serviced by a local rolex trained watchmaker who turned it round in a week -2 seconds a day looks wonderful. two year warranty, excellent.
C60 blue
C60 GMT mk2.
C8 mk2 vintage blk
C9 BDD
C15
C70 DType
C65 SWS
Bulova presisionist
Tag Carrera
Rado xeramo
Omega Seamaster
Garrad 9ct
GS SBGX 065
Rolex Datejust
Longine h flagship
Omega Deville coaixal 18ct
Tudor Oyster Royal
Seiko sarb 035
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

If people are finding lead times for service to long and inexcusable for any brand, I would strongly recommend to ask your seller or AD how long the average repair takes before purchase. Upon getting the answer I would recommend adding additional time. If you happen to be dealing with the elite brands you can expect your turnaround time to be in months instead of weeks. Anytime a watch must go to Switzerland, you are generally looking at a 6 month turnaround.

I am not justifying the times. I am trying to make you aware. If you are fortunate to get the average repair back in 4-6 weeks, consider yourself fortunate. Eight to ten weeks is the norm for the majority of brands.

CWL does make every effort to turn things far more quickly and has been very successful at doing so. That said, much of the estimated time frames are based on volume at any given time.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Dylanh99
Junior
Junior

Post by Dylanh99 »

I think 6-8 weeks is pretty standard for any repair by anybody.

As long as the problem is ultimately fixed, no reason to complain. Hard to wait though..
Good luck!

dylanh
"He not busy being born is busy dying!" -Bob Dylan