C60 broken already…

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

C60 broken already…

Post by ItsAliveJim »

I am very, very disappointed :(

I wore the watch for the first time on Saturday and it seemed fine. I checked the timekeeping on Sunday and it had gained about 10 secs. Nothing really wrong with that, I thought – give it time to settle. I picked it up this morning from the watch box and it was still ticking away but had gained a total of about 28 secs, so 14 secs per day. Again, I wasn't too bothered as I wear my watches in rotation anyway.

Here's what I'm really pi55ed off about. I wore the watch to work this morning and checked the time while I was at my desk only to find… the bloody thing had stopped ](*,)

I thought maybe the power reserve wasn't enough so I unscrewed it and gave it 20 winds. Still nothing. Stuck at 10.22. Broken :shock:

I've emailed Wera to let her know, and I think I'll be returning it for a refund. I've read a whole bunch of stories on this forum about problems with CW watches and I'm normally in the "This happens to every company" camp, but I seriously think there are QC issues at CW Towers. I've never had a new watch break on the second day of wearing it, and it isn't just me.

Anyway, this is my first real grumble about CW and I hope it's the last :?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: C60 broken already…

Post by scooter »

Sorry to hear this IAJ.

Knowing that it could be fixed doesn't take away the disappointment and can cast a bit of a shadow.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Not good :(

Maybe some design flaws are being "fixed" with the C60 replacement? Here's hoping anyway. The newer C65 certainly feels a little more robust, so far ...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

You are not alone IAJ!
My recent sale purchase is also currently at CW towers being sorted. This is the 4th of mine that has had to make a return trip and mrs stefs only CW which is her daily wear has also been messing around on and off for a while. It seems to randomly lose 10 mins in 24 hours but will then run fine for a while. Very odd but again may have to be sent in to be sorted.
Cheers now, Paul
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Hicksmat »

my "new" c20 arrived with scratches over the bracelet, however the did accept fault and replaced it without question, and its now back with me. I've not actually worn it yet so I don't know if there are any mechanical issues, I pray not!
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

stefs wrote:You are not alone IAJ!
My recent sale purchase is also currently at CW towers being sorted. This is the 4th of mine that has had to make a return trip and mrs stefs only CW which is her daily wear has also been messing around on and off for a while. It seems to randomly lose 10 mins in 24 hours but will then run fine for a while. Very odd but again may have to be sent in to be sorted.
I'm not sure if I can be bothered to wait to get it fixed. I've lost a bit of faith in it to be honest and would prefer a refund. What is going on though? :?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

It'sAliveJim wrote:
stefs wrote:You are not alone IAJ!
I'm not sure if I can be bothered to wait to get it fixed. I've lost a bit of faith in it to be honest and would prefer a refund. What is going on though? :?
I know its a pain but at least things do always tend to get sorted properly and you end up with a nice watch down the line
Cheers now, Paul
kopitedavo
Junior
Junior

Post by kopitedavo »

hmm for a lad who is thinking of buying his first cw, this isn't an inspiring read!
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

kopitedavo wrote:hmm for a lad who is thinking of buying his first cw, this isn't an inspiring read!
Speaking as someone who currently has 40 CWL watches (including 10 bought from fellow forum members). So I have had 30 watches direct from CWL (plus around another 10 as presents for others) and I haven't had to send any back to CWL yet.

My son has a JH1 which is currently on it's 2nd return journey for the jump not happening.

I do wonder what the failure rate is given approx. 20K sales per year - how many end up going back because of problems ?

Only thing I can say is that they sort any problems out pretty quickly.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by gbbird »

This is indeed another unfortunate tale of broken CWs but we have to remember it is not representative because people simply do not post that they purchased a watch and it works fine.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

PaulWB wrote:
kopitedavo wrote:hmm for a lad who is thinking of buying his first cw, this isn't an inspiring read!
Speaking as someone who currently has 40 CWL watches (including 10 bought from fellow forum members). So I have had 30 watches direct from CWL (plus around another 10 as presents for others) and I haven't had to send any back to CWL yet.

My son has a JH1 which is currently on it's 2nd return journey for the jump not happening.

I do wonder what the failure rate is given approx. 20K sales per year - how many end up going back because of problems ?

Only thing I can say is that they sort any problems out pretty quickly.
CW claims less than 1% on sales of 20,000 but Mike France puts sales at 17,500 so returns are either less than 200 or 175 whomever you believe. Seems that most of the duff ones go to Forum members!
Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Dont be put off! Order and judge for yourself. They are really nice watches and pretty decent VFM and if you are unlucky enough to have an issue (tho you probably wont) it WILL get sorted for you.
Cheers now, Paul
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

gbbird wrote:This is indeed another unfortunate tale of broken CWs but we have to remember it is not representative because people simply do not post that they purchased a watch and it works fine.
You sure? People are always posting on here how pleased they are with their watches!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
PC-Magician
Expert
Expert

Post by PC-Magician »

I can only speak as I find and mine is spot on in all departments, I wear my C60 most days.
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

That's a bummer, whichever way you look at it. I quite understand your frustration; nobody wants to buy a watch and then have it give up the ghost first time out. It sounds a bit of a lottery sometimes regarding QC with CWs; yet as far as I'm concerned I've owned eight or nine over the years and never had a moments problem with any of them. In fact, the only watch that broke on me is my Rolex Explorer, which is with them right now for repair. Sorry for your situation.