Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Questions for "Chat with Chris" - 2014

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Kansas City Milkman wrote:I'd be interested to get Chris' response on:

1) what is the value of this forum to CWL and do they take note of the comments? If so, how do they use the comments and is there anything tangible that has changed as a result of discussions/ feedback.
2) is there a C60 MK 2 in the near future? Is development underway?

Thanks

KCM
KAW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by KAW »

Lewis wrote:Will/when will we see a "british made" cwl watch? Will you move SH to London?
+1

I'd be interested to know if there is an ambition for a British made watch.
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

In light of comments posted on here and some of the entirely justified criticism of CW's apparent lack of control over the content of some instruction manuals that accompany watches - e.g. AVOs observation that the manual which arrived with his Slimline referred to an auto movement and date adjustment - what steps will be taken to correct this?

Also what steps will be taken to improve quality control to ensure that watches sent for delivery are not marked or otherwise show signs of wear and tear as seems to have happened more frequently than one might expect for a company positioning itself as a "luxury" brand and is there an intention to make the packaging more resilient to damage?

If the company is going to enter itself in a certain place in the market it needs to start delivering on its boast which I have taken from the CW website "We know how important it is that you receive your watch on time (forgive the pun) and in perfect condition, which is why we take so much care and attention when designing our packaging and delivering your purchase."
mbhoward
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by mbhoward »

+ 1 on the mid-size question, but also:

Do the complication variations include plans for a mechanical alarm?

Thanks.
Matthew

C7 Bluebird LE; C4 Phoenix; Omega Speedmaster Automatic; Tissot T-Touch; Caravelle Auto; Seiko Bellmatic, Seiko 5; Swatch Automatic; Alliane;
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Building on LD's first point above, a question for Chris could be...

Given some of the glaring, careless errors in the C5 Slimline manual, would you be willing to allow a panel from the forum to review and check draft product (and marketing?) literature prior to them being finalised? There are lots of people on the forum with great knowledge and a great eye for detail, some of whom may be very happy to help with this (and be subject to confidentiality agreements if necessary).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Lewis
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Lewis »

Oh no I've been out of school for 10 years and now i'm going to start getting reading homework from my watch company :lol:
Lewis

Omega Speedmaster 1861
Karl Falk Automatik black dial
C60 Trident Black bezel mk1 2nd gen logo (warranty swapped out my original charcoal bezel)
Seiko New Gen Orange Monster
Seiko Pogue-ish 6139-6009 resist notched
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Leo David wrote:In light of comments posted on here and some of the entirely justified criticism of CW's apparent lack of control over the content of some instruction manuals that accompany watches - e.g. AVOs observation that the manual which arrived with his Slimline referred to an auto movement and date adjustment - what steps will be taken to correct this?

Also what steps will be taken to improve quality control to ensure that watches sent for delivery are not marked or otherwise show signs of wear and tear as seems to have happened more frequently than one might expect for a company positioning itself as a "luxury" brand and is there an intention to make the packaging more resilient to damage?

If the company is going to enter itself in a certain place in the market it needs to start delivering on its boast which I have taken from the CW website "We know how important it is that you receive your watch on time (forgive the pun) and in perfect condition, which is why we take so much care and attention when designing our packaging and delivering your purchase."
+1 I extend this to the errors on the website as well. Butterfly clasp pictured on USA site Slimline, but Bader is in writing. I've noted some other website mistakes, but either they got fixed or I just lost interest (The USA site Slimline clasp vs deployment is still up. I annoyed that I got the clasp and not the advertised Bader, but I'm not **** . . . however, if I had just purchased one expecting the Bader (which I did), then got on this forum and saw that the issue had been addressed, and that CWL had stated that the correction would be made earlier this week, I'd be more upset as it looks like there is nobody at the helm of QA. If you want to be the Rolex of the internet, basic errors in manuals and website should be addressed quickly
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

+2 for the packaging, I know it is boring but CW's packaging is just not good enough!
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

+3 for the packaging and +2 for the basic issues of errors on the web site (noted above) and in the materials (like the manual AVO got with the slimline that talked about automatics and setting dates).
the "g" is for Greg...
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

To be fair, the manual only talked about the screw down crown. The references to automatic and dates were on the accompanying letter.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

fair enough.

still, mistakes that shouldn't be made because they're fairly simple to correct.
the "g" is for Greg...
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

+4 packaging and not putting wrong watches in the box. make the deluxe box half cheaper or make it the standard.
Macca

Post by Macca »

As 42mm is my top limit as a rule of thumb..

I would like to know plans for smaller cases and movements too, 38 to 41mm is a perfect size, and some others would like to see smaller watches?

Also why is everything getting so expensive, I can't afford 1500 quid every time, that applies to most of us, as eta movements are presumably becoming more scarce what alternatives will there be for those of us on a budget short of finding another brand to buy? None of the recent releases are what I would call affordable? How about zero percent finance for those who aspire to own a nicer watch but can't outlay all the cash at once, I have used goldsmiths 3 year zero percent loads before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
JFColeman
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by JFColeman »

How will the merger with SH affect the average Joe buying CW's?

Are you confident in CW's ability to compete with some of the bigger boys in a similar price point to the new C9?

Over the past decade, larger watches have become the norm, what is your take on this design choice? Will CW decide to start making 45mm+ to keep up?
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
FourthWard
Expert
Expert

Post by FourthWard »

akirk wrote:Following on from that - it would be interesting to ask Chris his prediction for the market:
- is it moving to more formal / more sporty watches
- is there a change in how people perceive watches and where they are made (e.g. Germany v Switzerland)
- autos v quartz v hand-wound
- ??? any trends he is aware of

Alasdair
+1
welshlad wrote: 3) Do you plan to introduce a smaller (e.g. 38/39mm) version of the C65, as it wears much larger than the C60? And do you have any plans for any other colours, e.g. blue?

5) Any plans for any more watches smaller than 40mm (following the success of the C61)?

6) What will be the likely ballpark price premium for existing models that adopt the SH21 down the line, e.g. if the C60 became available with the SH21 built in?
+1 for all 3

A.) Will CW eventually phase out Sellita/ETA movements, or will the in-house movement simply be reserved for the creme de la creme?

B.) Any chance of a thinner and/or 40mm Trident? :silent: