LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: C5 quartz second hand alignment

Post by Kip »

I am with Ian, I am not OCD enough to worry about it, but If you are not happy with it, by all means return it.

I have quartz watches that beat perfectly on the markers and others that sometimes do or don't. I have never worried about it as none of my mechanicals do either. :wink:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Kip wrote:I am with Ian, I am not OCD enough to worry about it, but If you are not happy with it, by all means return it.

I have quartz watches that beat perfectly on the markers and others that sometimes do or don't. I have never worried about it as none of my mechanicals do either. :wink:
A watch is a precision instrument and it is all too easy to overlook shoddy assembly and poor attention to detail. Why should those who have parted with hard earned money accept the common problems we read about on this Forum. I am thinking of hour hands that are wide of the hour mark, bezels that fail to centre, clasps that scratch the case back, cases that mark too easily etc etc. These are quality issues as any manufacturer serious about producing a quality product will understand. These and other irritants will not be present when the watch is new and neither will they develop over many years of careful use.

Just my view on basic quality issues and before anyone leaps to remind me there are, I know, many other aspects as well.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Robin...we are talking about a specific area here. I was not making light of the OP's concerns, but rather, offering a reference that it doesn't bother me because of how a mechanical watch functions.

Might I suggest starting a seperate, more general, topic where we can have a discussion that could be of constructive value to CWL regarding your other areas of concern plus any others not mentioned. This would allow CWL to better see the issues, whether actual or percieved.

I do not disagree that some issues should not be accepted. However, it is also true, that every brand has them regardless of price range. Noting tetlees post above, even PP and Cartier have their isuues. When you see many brands like I do, and apparently tetlee does, you realize just how big a problem tending to details is. Again...that doesn't mean they should be accepted.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

CW HQ told the mrs that it was normal, and they couldn't guarantee any replacement would hit the markers.

I'll keep the C5, but it's a shame they are using a £5 movement in an otherwise decent package.
Personally I'd rather pay £50 quid more and have a quality quartz movement. Perhaps they should talk to the Japanese, but that wouldn't fit the 'swiss made' marketing.

Citizen and Seiko's high end quartz have features to maintain hand alignment.
I'd live a Citizen AQ1020, but there's the small matter of importing JDM and cost about £1500 + VAT.

Only Breitling seem to take quartz seriously these days,
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

Sorry to hear that your wife was fobbed off. It may be quite common but it isn't normal. If the second hand is properly aligned it will always hit the markers. I would respectfully return it under the 60/60 and request an example that meets with your expectations and demonstrates the claimed "engineering perfection!"

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by 7ee »

hughesyn wrote: Perhaps CW should tone down the marketing message of high quality at reasonable price, in this case I got what I paid for, no more.

Only Breitling seem to take quartz seriously these days,
To be fair to CW, you have to think of the overall package. A lot of watches use the same Ronda movement at that price point, but very few with sapphire crystal, and at least CW are honest and upfront about the movement used.

For the price point I do think it's very good value, although I personally wouldn't buy one as I'm not a fan of quartz watches.

You have to think that the vast majority of people don't pay any attention to this detail, but I can understand why it bothers you as I mentioned earlier, it would me also.

It's a shame you are unhappy, but I wouldn't take their response as being fobbed off, IMO it was fair enough, just not what you wanted to hear.
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Maybe return it and get a C5 auto with 15% off. :thumbup:

No problem hitting the marks then.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by teestech »

I admit to not knowing a huge amount about watches, but I'm not quite sure why a quartz can't be expected to line up with the dial markers. I would think each 'tick' of the movement was an equal distance, so should be quite easy to set up correctly. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

teestech wrote:I admit to not knowing a huge amount about watches, but I'm not quite sure why a quartz can't be expected to line up with the dial markers. I would think each 'tick' of the movement was an equal distance, so should be quite easy to set up correctly. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?
Indeed, it strikes me it should be relatively easy to get the hands to line up and that the 'steps' should be very regular and easy to match to the markers.
I have a quartz Mondaine which probably cost about the same as a C5, with a Rhonda movement and it has always been spot on. On the other my 50 quid Timex has always been off and that irritates me, but at that price I've learned to live with it.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches