What keeps your interest in CWL alive?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: What keeps your interest in CWL alive?

Post by CornishDave »

Like Highway and Greg I have a very limited iunterest in CW as far as watches go at present, there is nothing in their present range that interests me for varying reasons. For most I just do not like them that much, for others for example, I have a Red FLE and really don't want two Tridents, I have two C8 Mk I's and don't want any more, even if they are very slightly different now. Most of the rest are outside my budget, at one time nearly all of their offerings were inside my budget.

I do however enjoy reading the comments on the Forum so my interest in the Forum is not diminished.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

What keeps your interest in CWL alive?

Post by mabotham »

I just like the brand and in some way feel part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by gbbird »

CW got me into decent watches, buying a c3 and a C60 in quick succession. The fact they are British, produce nice watches at a good price point, and have excellent customer service, all serve to make CW a great prospect for the novice and enthusiast alike.

Yes, I have started to discover what else is out there in the vast world of watches (especially micro brands) and admittedly most of my recent purchases have not been from CW, but they will always have a place in my heart, and i know I will buy more CWs in the future
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I get more pleasure from the Forum than from the current and recent past line up of CW watches.

I am sorry to see some of my favourite Forumites visiting less and less these days.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Dr Feelgood
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Dr Feelgood »

scooter wrote:I get more pleasure from the Forum than from the current and recent past line up of CW watches.

I am sorry to see some of my favourite Forumites visiting less and less these days.

scooter

Name and shame (privately), get on the PM facility and coax them back....

Although, and off topic, this is a humourless garden, I'm amazed I stick around.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Where is " The Menace" anyway??
downer

Post by downer »

scooter wrote:I get more pleasure from the Forum than from the current and recent past line up of CW watches.

scooter
Agree scooter. We have a lost a few 'characters' over the past year or two. Inevitable, I guess.
Richard
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

If I'm honest,I am in the same camp as those who stick around for the forum rather than the watches. I am not that fussed about most of the available watches although I do like the Worldtimer and Monopusher...and there's the rub. I would not ever pay that sort of money for them. I tend to think that CW prices rose some time ago to the point where I would not consider purchasing one...there are just too many other watches at the price points that (a) I prefer and (b) I think are worth the money more than the CWs. And let's talk about the elephant in the room...the logo. I dont like it and I won't wear a watch I don't like the logo or name of. (Having said that,I can almost overlook it on the Monopusher and Worldtimer)
Obviously the service is beyond reproach and I haven't a bad word to say about Wera,Chris et al.
I may still participate in the forum but I am ,to put it bluntly,becoming a wee bit bored with it. It's becoming more of a case of logging In out of habit as much as anything.Although there are the odd interesting snippets and discussions,I tend to find it a bit one dimensional and repetitive at present. I am sure there are those that will disagree with me....but I'm betting there will be others who don't.Or didn't and hence their lack of presence.
Sorry to be a bit negative.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i think that's true of any forum that continues to bring in fresh users regularly. you end up rehashing the same subjects. honestly, i mostly ignore those kinds of threads (mark all as read is a great button) and spend more of my time reading what people are buying or thinking about buying or their collections or thoughts about watches in general. i spend less time in the general forum and more in the ones under "other."
the "g" is for Greg...
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

A very blunt response to the question "what keeps your interest in CWL alive" very little is the answer. I have posted several comments over the past few months that mirror what CornishDave and Village have said. I'm not interested in any of the current crop of offerings and find them all a tad uninspiring. Okay I'll be very blunt, I find many of them boring and I am turned off by the marketing too. And Village is right to point to the elephant in the room. It really doesn't look good! The problem for me is that there's nothing different in the line up that grabs me. The steady and inevitable creep in pricing has made me look elsewhere and I find the mainstream brands ie those I consider to be the main competition e.g. Hamilton and Tissot offer more variety and certainly no worse quality especially if they can be bought in the sales.

I have two CWs a C6 which love or loathe it has been a success and the different brightly coloured dials offered something different, and a C5 which i hang on to for nostalgic reasons and because it was my first CW watch and the one that brought me into the forum.

As for the forum being a bit dull. Isn't that our collective fault? Could there be more banter and humour. Sure. But that's up to us. It's only ever going to be as exciting as the input from its members. But this is a CW watch forum and it is also the case, or at least it seems so to me, that fewer forumites are talking about CW watches so maybe a tired looking line up needs updating and refreshing. That said I expect Mr Ward and partners have a successful business model which is working well and as long as the mainstream keep buying the products on offer there will be little incentive to change them.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

gbbird wrote:CW got me into decent watches, buying a c3 and a C60 in quick succession. The fact they are British, produce nice watches at a good price point, and have excellent customer service, all serve to make CW a great prospect for the novice and enthusiast alike.

Yes, I have started to discover what else is out there in the vast world of watches (especially micro brands) and admittedly most of my recent purchases have not been from CW, but they will always have a place in my heart, and i know I will buy more CWs in the future
Very well written gbbird; your sentiment pretty much mirrors mine, albeit with differing CWL watches being purchased.

Moreover having found CWL when I thought I wanted a TAG Heur, I've subsequently found this forum with a great bunch of guys and gals from whom I've learnt loads about watches of all sorts.

Guy

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

It may be rehashing the same subjects but us newbies rely on your help and knowledge :wave:
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

leodavid, i agree with you that it would be nice to see some new design style that is in the regular range of watches and not only in the 1,000 pound and up range.

one of the things that's pulled me away from CWL for newer watches is that exact thing happening with other (smaller) microbrands. halios, armida, magrette, helson, etc. halios in particular seems to come up with new designs regularly that are far less derivative. most of these brands have come out with a brass/bronze case.

and as much as some new colors for the C60 are nice, like others have said, i'm not planning on buying four C60s because i want different colors. i'm more likely to find that new color elsewhere in a new design. my C60 is the red FLE. when i wanted black face/black bezel, i went halios tropik, not a black C60. just changing the color isn't enough difference.
the "g" is for Greg...
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I like quite a few of the current line-up and surprised myself on a visit to CW that I bought the Bluebird, although it's generally the more expensive pieces that I prefer, which I guess is about quality and VFM. However, as much as I like the new IRR, I am concerned about the price as it's a quartz.

So for me, it's partly the lure of the brand - what's coming next, what's the next biggie? - coupled with the use of this forum, which I enjoy and find very informative.

As for the logo, it might be an elephant in the room for older members / purchasers, but for me personally its not an issue at all for the very simple fact, as stated before, that I far prefer the new version.
'Tis me
matt55
Expert
Expert

Post by matt55 »

highway62 wrote:More interest in the forum than the watches at this point, sad to say...
I will second that ,I've had to send every watch I've bought back because of faults not impressed.