LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Gold finish

Post by Kip »

Recently received the C4 and love it. What I really want is the C5 in Gold. Can anyone say how well the 10 micron gold wears? Will it easily wear away like a Goldtone(cheap) or will it hold up to frequent use like a true gold. I wear my watches under my wrist and wear has been a problem with non solid gold watches. Thanks in advance for your help.
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

I have been curious about the same thing...except more for the black plated versions. I am really concerned that the color will either wear off, or, a scratch will cut through the plating exposing silver stainless steel. If the gold one is plated 10 microns thick, that's only 1/100 of a millimeter. That's pretty small. I can't help but think a decent scratch will cut right through it.

Probably what would ease my mind is to know how difficult or costly it would be to get a watch scratched like that fixed. Does anyone know...if you have a plated watch, is it reasonable to be able to replate just a small scratch?
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Re: Gold finish

Post by peterh »

I know this is a bit of a late answer.
I have a modest example here - a C5 in gold that dates back to June 2005.
As you can see, it is not exactly pristine (look at the case in between 11 and 1), but there's no SS shining through, and neither is there any sign of wear of the plating on the crown.

hth,
peter
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by President »

Kip wrote:Recently received the C4 and love it. What I really want is the C5 in Gold. Can anyone say how well the 10 micron gold wears? Will it easily wear away like a Goldtone(cheap) or will it hold up to frequent use like a true gold. I wear my watches under my wrist and wear has been a problem with non solid gold watches. Thanks in advance for your help.
Under your wrist!? That must be painful.

:lol:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

peterh wrote:I know this is a bit of a late answer.
I have a modest example here - a C5 in gold that dates back to June 2005.
As you can see, it is not exactly pristine (look at the case in between 11 and 1), but there's no SS shining through, and neither is there any sign of wear of the plating on the crown.

hth,
peter
Thanks for the response. I asked CW about this and he assured me it would hold up well, albeit not like solid gold. I have already purchased and am very pleased so far. it is absolutely stunning with the cream colored dial. I am considering the gold bracelet, " for those Rolex moments."
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by President »

I think the black/gold/gold will be next for me.

It will probably be a while as I'm forking out a couple of CWs for a ring. :shock: