Am I a bad man ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Am I a bad man ?

Post by downer »

gwells wrote:well, it's also the last bid. you can't place a bid for a lower price last, ebay won't let you.
You say tomato........ and so do I. :)
Richard
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

downer wrote:
gwells wrote:well, it's also the last bid. you can't place a bid for a lower price last, ebay won't let you.

Nah, they say tomayto!
downer

Post by downer »

Tyke wrote:
downer wrote:

Nah, they say tomayto!
Slightly off topic (which may not be a bad thing), last week on a USAirways flight, my wife asked for a tomato juice... It took a while. :lol:
Richard
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

Why do people insist on drinking tomato juice on planes? I don't know anyone who drinks the stuff. But on a plane suddenly it's the drink of choice. :o
Trying not to buy any more watches...
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

On American planes most Americans seem to drink a variation of Coke or cranberry juice. :shock:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
downer

Post by downer »

Clach77 wrote:Why do people insist on drinking tomato juice on planes? I don't know anyone who drinks the stuff. But on a plane suddenly it's the drink of choice. :o
Very true. Mrs D never drinks it, until she sits on a plane. :lol:
Richard
HJR
Junior
Junior

Post by HJR »

Two reasons to bid late...

1. The automated bid services cannot react fast enough, if you bid at the last minute.

2. Having been on eBay since '99, I noticed over the years that a fair number of people place multiple bids on an item toward the end. Don't know why they do it, but they do. If i had to speculate, it is because they do not understand the bidding process and keep bidding up an item. Whatever reason, I have lost a number of items (or at least had to pay a higher final price) over the years by bids coming in at the last minute, slowly raising the price. Then looking at who placed the bids you will see three or four from the same person in the last couple of minutes. I think it is strange but I started placing last second bids the last few years and those last minute up-bids have reduce significantly.

Just my $0.10 (inflation makes it more than $0.02) Haha!
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by robert75 »

julywest wrote:I rarely bid on ebay. I use bidnapper to snipe in last 7 secs. Makes no sense to bid an item up. I have 500+ on ebay and I really just do not have problems selling or buying. Fees no fun but no one is required to use ebay. My opinions on moral issues here have been stated. Lol now that I think about this is free advertising.
You are also the reason I gave up bothering to bid on ebay. I just go with buy it now or dont bother and I imagine quite a lot of people feel the same. Recently the amount of items on ebay that sit there without a bid compared to a few years ago seems to have increased dramatically. Personally I very rarely even bother as I have no intention of sitting at a computer for the last 2 minutes of a sale or using apps or whatever to try and jump in on a sale.
My Name Is Pete
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by My Name Is Pete »

If there's something that I want on ebay that's in an auction listing, I'll simply bid what I'm prepared to pay.
Pete
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

robert75 wrote:
julywest wrote:I rarely bid on ebay. I use bidnapper to snipe in last 7 secs. Makes no sense to bid an item up. I have 500+ on ebay and I really just do not have problems selling or buying. Fees no fun but no one is required to use ebay. My opinions on moral issues here have been stated. Lol now that I think about this is free advertising.
You are also the reason I gave up bothering to bid on ebay. I just go with buy it now or dont bother and I imagine quite a lot of people feel the same. Recently the amount of items on ebay that sit there without a bid compared to a few years ago seems to have increased dramatically. Personally I very rarely even bother as I have no intention of sitting at a computer for the last 2 minutes of a sale or using apps or whatever to try and jump in on a sale.
Glad I could help especially if it was actually me! Now you have more time to get CWs.

And since I sell a fair amount on ebay I can give you an opinion that the economy has had quite an impact also.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

I am late to this debate although I have already stated my views in the sales thread posted by the OP. Nothing posted here changes my view that what the OP did was wrong as it was ultimately going to **** someone off. Withdrawing an item for sale just because a higher offer has been made outside of eBay is also wrong and I wouldn't do that either. I guess a caveat on the sale listing along the lines of 'this item is for sale elsewhere and hence the listing may be ended with no notice' would give people a heads up and allow them to consider the value of placing a bid but it all feels a tad tawdry.

I don't seek to take any moral high ground here but as I expect sales and purchases to be conducted with the utmost honesty, I will see how the op conducts himself from here on in before taking note of any further sales posts, if any are planned, from him.
cpt127
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by cpt127 »

jmarchitect wrote:I am late to this debate although I have already stated my views in the sales thread posted by the OP. Nothing posted here changes my view that what the OP did was wrong as it was ultimately going to **** someone off. Withdrawing an item for sale just because a higher offer has been made outside of eBay is also wrong and I wouldn't do that either. I guess a caveat on the sale listing along the lines of 'this item is for sale elsewhere and hence the listing may be ended with no notice' would give people a heads up and allow them to consider the value of placing a bid but it all feels a tad tawdry.

I don't seek to take any moral high ground here but as I expect sales and purchases to be conducted with the utmost honesty, I will see how the op conducts himself from here on in before taking note of any further sales posts, if any are planned, from him.

Oh, sorry if I don’t live up to your high moral standards. I have successfully sold watches on this forum and on eBay and all without problems.
You have implied that I cannot be trusted and anyone buying a watch from me could be opening themselves up to being ripped off. This is unfounded, check out my eBay feedback (100%) and see if anyone on this forum has been ripped off by me?
Would you like to explain why you think I could be a thief ?
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

cpt127 wrote:Ok, take a few moments and think about what you are about to read, then answer honestly:

You are selling an item on eBay that you value at around £300, however the auction is not going well and you have 2 bids and the price is now at £12.70 with just over 24 hours to go.
You mention this to a guy at work who tells you he wished you had told him before putting it on eBay and offers you £300 cash for it.

Now be honest who would take his offer and end the auction? :problem:

I know I would :thumbup:

I know the situation is slightly different, but the moral position is the same.
Cpt127- This scenario, put forward by you, sums it up. It just doesn't sit well with me. I don't seek to influence anyone else's thoughts by stating this and nor do I intend to engage in a round of thread table tennis. I will leave you to have the last word and hope we can engage in a more wholesome discussion elsewhere.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

julywest wrote:
robert75 wrote:
Glad I could help especially if it was actually me! Now you have more time to get CWs.

And since I sell a fair amount on ebay I can give you an opinion that the economy has had quite an impact also.
:lol: Nice response!
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Think for most people on the forum ebay is a bit of a last resort. Put it on the forums and if it doesnt sell move it on to ebay. Dont think anyone is going to want to tar and feather you for that.