C63 Elite - innovation or gimmick?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: C63 Elite - innovation or gimmick?

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm I wonder, just a little idle speculation and a rhetorical question...

If Bremont had stuck it on one of their watches would everyone now be all over it? Or am I being a little unfair?
No because they would charge a stupid amount and I would have to wait until it was 50% off in a sale, to even consider it. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Why would CW be accused of 'gimmick' here? 'Gimmick' - to me - implies cynical thinking to fool people with trinkets.
Why would we assume that CW are in the business of cynical thinking?
Why are we so bad in this country at shooting people who stick their head above the parapet???
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

The Elite has distinction, no doubt about it. Both dial and crown say so loudly, the Ti construction underwrites. I think it does more then enough to find its way into crowded collections and I think that it what CW are trying to do here. Much as the C63s attract and are great VFM, most of us already have multiple watches that fill those slots. But we could consider the Elite.....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Thou hast pluckèd the very thought from mine intellect, sirrah!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Concealed crowns are nothing new.

CW have brought the feature into the 21st century, by making it a push to operate crown, rather than requiring you to risk wrecking your finger nail.

Check out this Seiko from 1965. There are many other examples out there.

So, in my opinion it’s an innovative improvement of a “gimmick” that’s been around for an awful long time.

27A18A56-BFE3-408B-B8AF-769E0EBAC212.jpeg
60F9C131-3454-433A-BA3C-9F98F10EF84A.jpeg
Steve.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

missF wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:46 pm Why are we so bad in this country at shooting people who stick their head above the parapet???
Hear hear!

Group-thinkers are bad shots, but so many of them that they eventually do damage - which really is a crying shame.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

On reflection, it's certainly a shame the speedy crown isn't a bit less recessed :D
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Occasionally I'm bothered by the crown digging in, or I notice a mark on my wrist. I also recall a number of posts over the years on here where people complained of the crown bothering them on certain watches.

So for these reasons I'd put it more as a useful feature rather than a gimmick. It probably wouldn't definitively sway my decision whether to buy or not either way, but some people might find that it does, or contributes towards the overall package sufficiently to persuade them to buy.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I think it's something, that probably is over engineered, but that's a good thing.
It certainly, separates it from standard designs we're all used to, again good.
I just like the simple thought behind it, and it does serve a purpose.
I don't think the renders, show it in the best light, as it looks a bit lopsided.
So looking forward to seeing it for real.

I suppose another option would be a sprung crown, that has a bit of give, but with a more traditional look.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Lu..
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lu.. »

Thermexman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:20 pm Concealed crowns are nothing new.

CW have brought the feature into the 21st century, by making it a push to operate crown, rather than requiring you to risk wrecking your finger nail.

Check out this Seiko from 1965. There are many other examples out there.

So, in my opinion it’s an innovative improvement of a “gimmick” that’s been around for an awful long time.
+1...although CW needs to market this innovative gimmick more....initially I did not know that the crown retracts like a pen until reading the article in the Loupe magazine.....it would've been nice for them to at least place a video of how it works on their website.....
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Is it a gimmick? I guess that depends on your perspective. I wear my watch on the right wrist, so for me it's a gimmick. If you wear your watch low on the left, it may solve a real issue.

Is it innovative? No. Omega already uses this mechanism on a watch, albeit a much more expensive one. Also, as someone mentioned above, the crown mechanism comes from a third party, so if it is innovative, CW is not the innovator, rather the end user.

Regardless of whether it is a gimmick or innovative, it's a nice watch, with a fairly unique feature, and should do well for CW. Who knows, this is possibly a design cue for all future "Elite" models.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Well...I started the thread so I probably should offer my opinion on the matter.

There is much to like about the watch but, for me, the retractable crown is not its strong suit. I like a visible crown; it's the interface between user and mechanism. It's a place to add texture, detailing and a logo, why wouldn't I want it on show? It's also an inherent part of a watch's profile. Some models further enhance that profile by adding guards to their designs. Perhaps I also like the asymmetric element having a crown lends a watch, otherwise the case is just too much of an uninterrupted circle.

So I like the watch, but I'm really not sure about that crown. As to the word 'gimmick', maybe its use wasn't that wide of the mark.
According to the Oxford English dictionary: Gimmick n. A trick or device intended to attract attention rather than fulfil a useful purpose.

I'll let you decide...

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I think it is brilliant. It is definitely one of the features that made me place my order. I loved the omega ultralight that I believe Rory was involved in with regards to the design. You do see a number of pros wearing this watch. Lightness through the use of titanium and a crown that doesn't dig in for sport or other activity is all very positive to me and makes it a true sports watch. The fact that CW has done this for about 1/30th the price of Omega is I think quite impressive.
Just my tuppence worth.
Cheers now, Paul
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

It's NOT a gimmick!
IMO it's simply a very clever solution to a real world problem (for some) and thus an innovation.
Well done CW :clap:
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

I think the crown is a cool innovation/gimmick. Could be seen as useful but who cares, I like the gimmick value (a bit like a helium escape valve when I don't even go down to the deep end of the swimming pool!!!

The cut=outs on the dial are another story though. I really don't like them, they serve no possible purpose that I can think of, and I think they look awful. I'd never want to own one because of them...