Can a screw down crown unscrew itself?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Can a screw down crown unscrew itself?

Post by redmonaco »

is it electric???
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:30 pm Yes it can, especially if not screwed down tight enough. Torque it down a bit harder than you usually do, and see what happens...
Thank you, I'm normally worried about tightening it too much so I'll give it a bit extra and see!
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

@RichM you are probably familiar with the following procedure, but the instructor part of me is hard to suppress... 😬

Chances of doing damage are greater when you start the threading process. As it applies to any fine screw in order to avoid cross-threading, it is advised to 'seat' the crown onto the threads by turning it in a lefty-loosy direction with slight pressure inwards untill one feels it fall into place, than start threading it in.

Apologies for the unsolicited advice...
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
RichM
Top of the minute to you all,
Dan
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

@RichM - this is on the back of what @Greatpotfarm just said - are you the first owner of the watch? Could the crown thread have been stripped either by you or by someone who owned the watch before you? Maybe that could lead to the crown being easier to unscrew?
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:41 pm @RichM you are probably familiar with the following procedure, but the instructor part of me is hard to suppress... 😬

Chances of doing damage are greater when you start the threading process. As it applies to any fine screw in order to avoid cross-threading, it is advised to 'seat' the crown onto the threads by turning it in a lefty-loosy direction with slight pressure inwards untill one feels it fall into place, than start threading it in.

Apologies for the unsolicited advice...

Thank you - happy to receive the advice

missF wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:53 pm @RichM - this is on the back of what @Greatpotfarm just said - are you the first owner of the watch? Could the crown thread have been stripped either by you or by someone who owned the watch before you? Maybe that could lead to the crown being easier to unscrew?

Just maybe.... I bought the watch second hand from eBay!! In all other aspects the watch is perfect and appears as new complete with the full set of papers/box when I bought it but just this occasional randomness with the crown. That could well be the answer!
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
missF