“The Twelve” is live

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Kurieeleson

Re: “The Twelve” is live

Post by Kurieeleson »

The Twelve looks like a stylish watch. I love the interplay and quality of finishes on the bezel. The taper on the bracelet looks like it will wear well. The bracelet design is also classic with sleek lines.

The dial provides a lot of excellent visual interest but may feel a little busy. From some angles, the pattern washes out the indices a bit except for the Nebula Purple version. A dark color or black may clear this up for me. The hexagonal screws on the reverse raise the watch to the next level. I like that CW hints at other classics in a unique and essentially “Ward” way. I have a feeling this watch looks even better in person than on screen with the potential dial pattern issue being moot.

All things considered, it is a watch that will draw second and third looks. That said, I am not sure how much they have differentiated this watch from the Zenith Defy Skyline and others apart from the price. However, the price point for a watch of this quality is significant. It puts a stylish watch within the reach of more people.

Overall, I say good job CW. Please make one with a black dial.
Owner of a C65 Dune Bronze COSC
Spytap
Senior
Senior

Post by Spytap »

Yoobaldy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:01 am Looking at the shifting delivery dates makes me wonder when the 36mm will actually be delivered. 2024 and onwards!

On that note about the 36mm versions, my take on it, if CW is following the nomenclature "The Twelve", then that means a further 6 watches in 36mm will follow the 6 in 40mm to perfectly add up to 12 variations.

And

If following the 2 Ti versions for each size, I wonder what colours they could be?
I believe they’ve already mentioned that the “Twelve” is in reference to the number of shapes in the bezel. So I don’t think we’ll be limited to just 12 variations. I agree with the earlier users who referenced this as being a platform.
These users thanked the author Spytap for the post:
Yoobaldy
Yoobaldy
Junior
Junior

Post by Yoobaldy »

Spytap wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:07 pm I believe they’ve already mentioned that the “Twelve” is in reference to the number of shapes in the bezel. So I don’t think we’ll be limited to just 12 variations. I agree with the earlier users who referenced this as being a platform.
My post was waxing poetic about the future announcement of the 36mm this year.

But indeed as covered in multiple interviews, the 12 sided bezel is where the name comes from. I doubt that CW will stop production after only releasing the twelve this year.

I'm quite excited at the possibilities of using the Twelve as a platform for further releases, perhaps a Chronograph that won't sit quite as tall as the C65 (15mm)?
My wife thinks I have a watch problem. I'm a glass half-full guy, I think of it as a healthy interest in horology ;)

C60 Trident Pro 300
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

magicman wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:29 pm Mine arrived today, after some confusing updates from DPD, it was coming yesterday, no Tuesday, no today. Well it's arrived safely and as expected, very well packaged.

First impressions are that it's fantastic, size is spot on for me, got the bracelet in the comfort zone, the dial is a beauty, the light play on the various finishes is wonderful, the crown is in alignment, albeit 180 degrees off, the thin case sits nicely on my flatish wrist, the weight gives it some heft, without being too heavy.
There are only two very minor niggles for me, firstly I could live without the date window, I can only read the date, with my reading glasses on, on the plus side, I'll not worry if its wrong.
Secondly, I have to balance the books, so I have to say goodbye to a watch that I had previously thought was a definate keeper.

Regards Steve
Cheers, Steve. Looks great. The Glacier Blue is definitely my favorite of the SS colors. Enjoy it! I think I would agree with you on the date window. Given the dial, the date window feels a bit more superfluous than I would otherwise feel it to be. I dunno. Might just be overthinking it.

I've been lurking on this thread for the last few days, and I gotta say that I'm definitely interested in either Titanium version, but I may want to wait for the smaller one. I've never been much for the Genta integrated sports watches, but this one does feel like I could get on with it. As many on this thread have said, it looks like there are a lot of little details to appreciate, especially the finishing. And I've been holding out for the right purple watch, so maybe this is it.

Good on you, once again, CW. You've been on a bit of a roll.
These users thanked the author Peteo for the post:
tikkathree
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Well @magicman your pics have me in a bit of a quandary. They look brilliant :thumbup:

I was all set for the blue Ti: interesting material, slimmer with COSC, gradient dial, yada yada.
But I see those pics of the Arctic Blue SS on bracelet and gosh that looks fine! :-k
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
tikkathree
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I think that there has been discussion in the thread about whether the 40mm or forthcoming 36mm would be better for those with a wrist size up to approximately 7”. Also about is this a watch where larger is better, to give wrist presence.

My take is that it really depends what you want the watch to be at the time. I can see a case for both 40mm and 36mm on my wrist.

This style of watch is generally about two key aspects and how they interact - the dial and how the case flows into the bracelet.

For folk with a wrist size of 7” I think that the visual impact of the 40mm to the wearer will primarily be the dial, as insufficient of the bracelet will be visible when looking down at the dial. However at least the way the end links articulate will mean it doesn’t look daft. Often the case on integrated bracelet watches worn on wrists of that size.

The 36mm will present more of the flow from case to bracelet.

I don’t think that the 40mm will have more “wrist presence” to the wearer than the 36mm, although it will to an observer, if that is the look the wearer is striving to achieve.

My random thoughts above are based on when I have tried on pairs of integrated bracelet watches at the same time. Hence I prefer the look of a 37mm Royal Oak to a 41mm. Whereas the young chap in the AD when I tried them on (but didn’t buy) favoured and was wearing the 41mm, even though his wrist was clearly smaller than mine.

I will probably end up with both sizes at some point…

That is the Twelve, not the Royal Oak! :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

^^^^^^
These are very sage observations, @nbg. :thumbup:

My wrist is a bit smaller than yours and I'm confident I can pull the 40mm off based on some pieces I currently have.
That is one thing, but as you say, the 'flow' of the integrated style is another. It is a key difference to other watches.
Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

@Noush
Chris one of my nephews has the glacier blue on bracelet and his wrist is probably 0.5-0.75” smaller than mine. I will be seeing him and his brother in the next couple of weeks and be able to check it out.

His initial thought was it was fine size wise (often wears a DJ36 and a BB58) but interested to hear whether that was just a “new watch” initial reaction.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

nbg wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:49 am
I will probably end up with both sizes at some point…

That is the Twelve, not the Royal Oak! :lol:

Neil
If only we could live in a world where we could casually choose which TWO Royal Oaks to own! :lol:

Definitely agree Neil that the Twelve poses a couple of different wrist size question than other watches. I guess I'm not thinking too much about wrist presence, but maybe I should be. My wrist comes in at just under 7 inches, so my assumption is that a 36mm version will still have plenty of wrist presence for me, particularly if I go for the purple (and assuming it will be purple).

I'm also curious about how well the watch and bracelet really hug the wrist. For people who already have it, is there any flaring out with the bracelet? I sort of just assumed there would be. As much as I like the C20 FLE Lido, the flare of the leather strap really makes it jostle around when I have it on.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Leon O wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:21 pm I have a Tissot PRX with the black dial. To me the PRX is all about the bracelet - the links flash as my wrist moves. The waffle dial has just enough texture to to keep it from being dull.

The PRX links are lightly brushed allowing the flat links to reflect a lot of light. If the links were heavily brushed, they would not play with changes in lighting.

From pictures I can't tell if the 12's bracelet is reflective or satin in appearance.

To me a satin finish on the 12 bracelet would be appropriate because the dial is where CW seems to be differentiating its integrated bracelet watch from those of other brands.

Can someone confirm whether or not the 12 bracelet reflects a lot of light.
Brushed circumferentially; not sure if there's another word to describe the brushing running around the bracelet rather than across it. I does very much twinkle.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Leon O
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

This is so stylish it's something of a culture shock to my system. Truth is I unpacked it and had a definite moment of "hmmm :oops: might this be going back."
Why? My normal wear is undoubtedly a bit chunkier. Today's been a Skyfall AT day so here is The Twelve nestling between it and my most recent acquisition the Snow Leopard.
20230506_185256.jpg
This is obviously the steel version and it is very light on the wrist - I was intrigued by the glacier blue dial. And I twist the watch to and fro on what is a fairly low light rainy late afternoon. It takes no effort at all to set the watch all of a shimmer. Like this:
20230506_185436.jpg
20230506_185421.jpg
20230506_185507.jpg
20230506_185453.jpg
20230506_185556.jpg
Those photos are untouched and taken immediately one after another with no adjustment other than a light crop.

The brushed links shimmer and shine in a most captivating way: the short length of the links and the brushing means that this shimmer isn't delicate in fact it rather shouts LOOK AT ME!
And I still wasn't sure. :?

Only one thing to do at this point: out with the screwdriver and get it sized.
Now to put it with my only other integrated bracelet watches. I didn't know there was a gap but I fancy The Twelve has just muscled in.
20230506_185330.jpg
A watch for every occasion? Maybe. I could take this watch around the world and probably not worry about 300m WR or helium escape valves, GMT hands and all that stuff. Not sure I'm quite ready to take it swimming in the sea just yet.

I've taken out 4 links; maybe tomorrow I'll put one back in and take out a half link. Oh and I'd like the sun to shine please.

And finally, God save the King.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 8):
nbgNoushMiniMpiajax87jkbarnesasqwerthJasperCatthomcat00
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Those are some very interesting shots @tikkathree
Thanks. The Glacier Blue does look very cool (sic)

Will be very interested in your report after seeing the nephews @nbg
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
tikkathree
Chris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@tikkathree - it does look good Pete, but I'm still not convinced.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
tikkathree
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
NotOnMyWatch

Post by NotOnMyWatch »

I just got mine and I really love it! 40mm is larger than what I'd like, but it wears really well. Can't wait for the smaller version that's coming in the fall.
I posted an unboxing & first impression video on my YouTube if any of you are curious to see :)

Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Sun May 07, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected YouTube link
These users thanked the author NotOnMyWatch for the post (total 6):
missFMiniMpiDavid. SOllyWNoushGeefiasco
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

@tikkathree Great photos, thanks. You've actually kind of slapped me in the face with the C63 snow leopard next to the 12.

Because I've said a couple times in this thread that my wrist is small, the 40mm looks a little big, it isn't for me, I'll wait for the 36mm, blah blah blah... all while I have the C63 BMF on order :lol:

The C63 with the SH21 will clearly wear big, but I think it'll be doable. I still think the 12 will wear on the larger side due to the integrated bracelet coming off the case at 25mm. I'll have both of these watches at some point in the future so I'll be able to confirm or disprove this theory then!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925