C65 Dune......anti-reflective

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Rossco

C65 Dune......anti-reflective

Post by Rossco »

Hi folks

Just want to double check on the C65 Dune Automatic in black - does it have anti-reflective sapphire (any blue tint, therein)?

Not listed on the specs I can see on the CW website. I bought the Sandhurst Series 1 in the clearance, but had to return it due to small defect on the bezel. CW honoured their customer commitments and refunded me in full (hats off to them for dealing with this swiftly and with good email communication).

The Sandhurst did have that anti-reflective treatment, so just want to check on the C65 status. I have checked through some threads, but could not find reference to this, so I apologise in advance if I may have missed something.
Rossco

Re: C65 Dune......anti-reflective

Post by Rossco »

...it does say 'Glass Box Sapphire' on the spec area, but no mention of anti-reflective I can see. This may stop me pulling the trigger on one if none is applied...
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Apologies if I have missed something about the anti-reflective on the posts I have read. Any help, lads and lassies, very much appreciated...
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Hi, sorry that you haven’t had an answer to your question yet. It is weird that AR isn’t often mentioned in specs - for CW or anyone else. As far as I’m aware CW apply AR coating on the inside only. The C11 range had both as I recall, but that was unusual.
I didn’t post this before because I just can’t be definite, and I always figure that someone else will come along who knows more than me! :lol:
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Many thanks...I've got two Hammy Khakis and the lack of any AR is annoying. I would expect CW to do the inner on most pieces, but a bit strange that some CW specs for certain watches say "inner AR coating", and others (the Dune auto) just say Box Glass Sapphire. So, wary of getting another reflecto. The black Dune auto looks fantastic in pics and on a YouTube vid (WatchChris I think)...and looks like it appears to have the inner anti-reflective.......but would like to know for certain. Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

missF wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 pm I didn’t post this before because I just can’t be definite, and I always figure that someone else will come along who knows more than me! :lol:
That’s the same reason I held off on commenting :oops:

As far as I’m aware, all CWs these days have AR coating on the inside of the crystal. I don’t know that for certain, but I’m north of 90% sure.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
Rossco
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Cheers ajax87....I will await any other replies (owners of the Dune, perchance), or try CW direct to clarify. It's a bit of a stumper, for sure....
These users thanked the author Rossco for the post:
ajax87
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I have the white sand dune auto (which makes my ignorance even worse :oops: ) - it absolutely appears to have AR coating, though that’s still not a definite answer for you :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Rossco
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I checked through the manuals for the Aquitaine range and there is no mention of anti-reflective coating for the range. The Super Compressor also has boxed sapphire and definitely has coating from observation and verification in the specs in the manual. I would be very surprised if the Aquitaines don't have any anti-reflective coating. Unfortunately, I think CW is the only one to confirm 100%.

I should add that the box sapphires help with glare anyway. The worst offenders are flat (this is also where AR works the best). The angles on domed and boxed crystals make the angle of reflection constantly changing and the reflected light scatters.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Rossco
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m wondering whether this might be a little bit like automotive features that were once touted in adverts but are now taken for granted: ABS, internally adjustable door mirrors, electric windows, remote central locking and so on. It’s there but it’s not necessarily a selling point anymore? Unless it is, of course… :-k
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
RosscoJasperCat
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm I’m wondering whether this might be a little bit like automotive features that were once touted in adverts but are now taken for granted: ABS, internally adjustable door mirrors, electric windows, remote central locking and so on. It’s there but it’s not necessarily a selling point anymore? Unless it is, of course… :-k
That’s a good analogy. I was wondering the same thing. Is AR coating simply a given now on a certain level of watch and not worth mentioning?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
RosscoJasperCat
Drew
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Thanks guys......not sure about the given/taken for granted bit though. Most (including me) moan about the lack of AR across the Hamilton Khaki range. My Mechanical and Auto (both domed) are awful for legibility in some environments. The Sandhurst Series 1 I had briefly, appeared to have it (the tell-tale blue tinge to the outer edge of the crystal) - see attached pic from another owner I sourced online (top of crystal has that bluish hint -which I like!). I can't see any pics posted online that indicate this in a similar fashion on the Dune, so was hoping a Dune owner could confirm in some way?....I have emailed CW for clarification to hopefully get some feedback.

Christopher-Ward-Military-Series-Watch-Review-22.jpg
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed attached image inline
These users thanked the author Rossco for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Rossco wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:52 pm I have emailed CW for clarification to hopefully get some feedback.
Let us know what you hear!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Rossco
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

If anyone is interested in how AR works.

I also checked the Series 1 Sandhurst Manual and it is omitted there as well.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Rossco
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

This just in from my email to Customer Services re the Dune....

Hi Ross,
I can confirm we do have an AR coating on the inside of the sapphire crystal, please let us know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,
Katie Howard, fCMgr
Customer Services Assistant Manager
These users thanked the author Rossco for the post (total 3):
ajax87jkbarnesBahnstormer_vRS