Another left field watch

A place to discuss other watch-brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Another left field watch

Post by iain »

Noush wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:53 pm 43mm for my skinny wrist is hardly a 'middle ground' size however. :)

My reference to 43mm being middle ground was purely on the basis of this Ingenieur range. The smallest being 40mm with the big Ingenieur which houses the IWC big pilot movement being 46mm not including the large crown guards.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

stefs wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:29 pm Here is a question for you playing devil’s advocate…if a really minty 40mm ingenieur became available would you swap?

The honest answer is would have liked a nice laureus blue 40mm model but they’ve become too unaffordable now.

This question is like those house hunting TV shows where someone wants a big house in the best part of town but only the budget for a cottage down the road. If I want an Ingenieur then this is the limit of what I can stretch to.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

downer wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:41 pm Interesting that they used a different (better) clasp on your watch.

This is from 2016 and is one of the last models before they design change. It’s got the same micro adjust I’ve had on all my IWC pilot watches. It’s needed
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:04 pm Sounds like it might be time for a SOTC update.

I’ve been thinking the same…..
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

nbg wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:33 pm however I do recall that the 40mm models fit rather nicely, so maybe I would find the 43mm ok.

I wouldn’t be so sure, it’s quite a chunky beast and is at the upper end for me size wise. I’m happy with it but I suspect not everyone would be.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

That looks fantastic! I think its size makes it not one for me but it is a “wow” for sure. I confess I know very little about the brand beyond the briefest of basics. Something else to browse and learn. Nice!
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
iain
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

^^^^^
Ingenieur is a rabbit hole all its own. Actually one of the more interesting ones. Some 'beasts' in there as Iain points out.
If you want to get your teeth in, and why not? you'll do more than 'browse'. Have fun! :)
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
iain
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I took this photo to post in the NCWOTD thread but here might be a better place for it.

This is a photo taken looking back in a mirror from a few feet away to give a better impression of the real size of this watch. It’s big but not as big as the other photos make it out to be.

My wrist is 17cm for reference.

13F73A00-BB1F-47C5-8ABF-A7BB45797A5B.jpeg
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:39 pm
5AE46E06-61A2-4DC9-98BA-B0CB836DE8B2.jpeg
So with the 9 and the 15 on the dial, is this metric time or something?
On a serious note, the method of taking the pic does a good job of conveying size. Well done!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
iain
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Oh dear, after the issues I had with my spitfire chronograph last year I’ve another IWC with a problem.

This time it’s timekeeping. If I wear the watch continuously 24/7 it’s perfect running at around 1 second a day. However as soon as I take it off it starts to slow down. After 12 hours it’s lost 30 seconds and it gets worse from there. After 24 hours it’s a few minutes off and as it reaches the latter stages of the power reserve it can be 3-4 minutes out.

So off it goes for inspection and I’ll await the verdict.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I think the conclusion will be that you’ve found your one watch? :lol:

Sorry..... your watch is obviously poorly... never heard of a similar problem. Hope it’s back with you soon :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
iain
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Just had an update that I can expect my watch back in about 2 weeks time having a had a full service carried out by IWC paid for under warranty.

So a free service and about a 7 week turnaround which I’m happy with.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSmissFThegreyman
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Sounds like a good update. Glad you'll have it back soon and hopefully in good working order.
These users thanked the author Peteo for the post:
iain
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

It’s back, fully serviced by IWC and all paid for under warranty. They’ve even brushed out the minor blemish on the lug.

6 weeks turnaround as well so I’m very happy.

IMG_0406.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 6):
Thunder1missFwatchaholicwelshladNoushBahnstormer_vRS
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A great watch, as others have said Iain. Top notch.

Now that you've had it back for ten days or so, has the service done the trick with timekeeping and has your initial enthusiasm for it remained and consolidated into 'it's a keeper' (as best as we can ever use that phrase)?

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England