Wearing a CW in london

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Wearing a CW in london

Post by nbg »

Macdaz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:07 pm Unless you plan to go into the deepest back streets in the worst areas, I'd say you can wear whatever you like and not give it a second thought.
Last time I checked Mayfair, Knightsbridge and the West End generally weren’t regarded as the deepest back streets of London.

They are however the places someone wearing a Rolex, PP, AP etc.. is most likely to be targeted, if the watch is visible.

The professional scrotes tend to stick to the places they are most likely to find suitable customers and easy pickings.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I’ve worn a CW in town over the last 10 years or so and no one has batted an eyelid
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Ultimately I feel it is all about risk management and danger awareness regardless of whether you are in London, Paris, Rome, New York, Tokyo, or any other capital city in the world.

Just be sensible and enjoy your visit.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
jkbarnes
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Keep your wits about you, eyes and ears open, avoid walking about gawping at your phone and you'll be pretty safe in most places.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

They really are well and truly on their way to becoming the Rolex of the internet.

Keep up the good work CW. :clap:
Ryan
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

nbg wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:33 pm Last time I checked Mayfair, Knightsbridge and the West End generally weren’t regarded as the deepest back streets of London.
And your checks served you well. But the point I’m making is the risk of a mugging taking place in these places is relatively low and professionals are going to be able to tell the difference between a CW and a Rolex/Patek/VC etc.. probably a lot better than we could from a lot further away!

As Guy says you need to be mindful, but not fearful. Enjoy the visit and if you want to wear a CW I think it’ll be ok.
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I would argue that London is the BEST place to wear a CW. Many of them say London right on the dial after all.

D483F373-19BA-461D-9D9A-802E461EF8CD.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
thomcat00
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

The highest risk is most likely being approached by another Christopher Ward fan to have a chat about the CW you're wearing!

You should have no concerns otherwise.
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
albionphoto
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gbbird »

I wear a CW on a daily basis, along with other brand watches. Nothing to worry about at all
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
IrnBruBezel

Post by IrnBruBezel »

nbg wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:33 pm
Last time I checked Mayfair, Knightsbridge and the West End generally weren’t regarded as the deepest back streets of London.

Neil
I saw two lads get relieved of their Canada Goose jackets in the middle of Chinatown in the middle of the day, so never say never but generally London is very safe as large global cities go. My main worry is pickpockets, I carry my wallet in my front pocket everywhere I go.

CW, no offence intended, is not going to attract specific attention. The people that are after watches specifically will be looking for Rolex and Patek. The only effect it might have is on your overall appearance. I live in Hackney and visit parts of London where I do make a conscious effort not to appear like I have anything too valuable on my person. A long sleeve will remove the watch from the equation in this instance.
Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

A couple of stories for you and both related to Rolex wearers in London.
Someone I know had lunch in a restaurant in Kensington and was walking back at 3pm alone in the Belgravia area (near embassies, etc) and got set upon and beaten up for his watch (not wallet or jewellery). If he had been more compliant he probably wouldn’t have got the beating. The only time his watch was uncovered (long sleeved shirt) was whilst at the table. Obviously not in all establishments but some staff in the restaurants let people know if they see a nice watch and pass them the necessary information (eg not collected by taxi, clothing, etc).
Furthermore, there was a spate last year of people dressed smart casual (upmarket brand clothing) in the Green Park area being targeted by people on mopeds saying they have a gun and to hand their watch over. Most of the victims were wearing a Rolex.
However, as someone else wrote, when in a major city just be careful and have your wits about you.
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

There are several stories similar to the 1 above from @Chris375.
Some people wearing decent watches being mugged for their watches after visiting Selfridges where several high brands of watches are sold, others being approached in pubs by a stranger who admires the watch and asks if it is a real Rolex, Omega etc.

As a balancing comment, I lived and worked in London for many years, often travelling home late after the pubs shut and didn't even consider that I might be stopped for my phone, watch or other valuables. However it's a big City, things happen here and there and it could be that some young oik who isn't "a professional" and doesn't know a Timex from a Rolex might consider that a new looking shiny CW looks expensive and therefore that they could be onto a soft profit. A recent CW release on a bracelet might have cost you £1000 so can be considered "expensive" in my mind.

If I'm going to London, know that I'll be out late after a few drinks and possibly travelling home on my own then I'd wear a dressed down version of a watch (I think a strap tends to be less noticeable than a bright shiny bracelet) or wear my nondescript fitness watch, which isn't an Apple watch.

Good advice has been given previously .......

"Just be sensible and enjoy your visit."

"....when in a major city just be careful and have your wits about you."
juzza
CW-watches: 1

Post by juzza »

I wear my CW to work in the City everyday!
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I usually wear my vintage Seiko or sometimes my GS (on a perlon or single pass suede nato) when in London. I moved away from London as I hate it
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Surely this thread is tongue in cheek coupled with a bit of mild hysteria?

Would you wear a CW watch, which mostly have a resale value of £500, in London?

I think the op is getting carried away with watches on a whole different level and in the multi tens of thousands of pounds, such as AP, PP and Rolex sometimes getting targeted.

Don’t worry op, you won’t be targeted for a Mk2 Trident Pro!

Enjoy any trip you make to London.
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN