Another Bel Canto thread: this one's for the non-owners, the unbelievers

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Another Bel Canto thread: this one's for the non-owners, the unbelievers

Post by Richard D »

A1soknownas wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:45 pm I can't see a picture of a Bel Canto and the bird without reminding me of Twitter for some reason.
S#!t I can see it now. Lol.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
JasperCat
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
candy287
Junior
Junior

Post by candy287 »

i think we should make a petition to have the hand painted. from what ive been noticing alot of people are complaining t he legibility of the time
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

candy287 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:11 pm i think we should make a petition to have the hand painted.
Which hand are you talking about? There are two.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
candy287
Junior
Junior

Post by candy287 »

both the hour hand and the minute
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

This photo appeared on the various CW Facebook groups a few days ago, I don’t know the full story but think eventually the person who posted it was banned and had it removed from the enthusiasts group, but it’s still up on the aficionados one. I suspect that it was more to do with the person who posted rather than the watch itself which looks to be a mock up, but like I said, I don’t know the full story.

Anyway, I digress. Here’s a mock up picture made by someone with the Bel Canto that shows it with blue hands. I think the biggest abomination though is that dial which looks like it’s made from those filters you get in gas pipelines. Personally I think I prefer the normal hands but I’m not especially a fan of the aesthetics of the Bel Canto anyway.

Failing that, you could always post your Bel Cantos off to Greatpotfarm for him to colour the hands in for you.

C4B984B6-2738-4ABF-837E-CF19B77B3909.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSmissFJasperCat
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

iain wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 am This photo appeared on the various CW Facebook groups a few days ago, I don’t know the full story but think eventually the person who posted it was banned and had it removed from the enthusiasts group, but it’s still up on the aficionados one. I suspect that it was more to do with the person who posted rather than the watch itself which looks to be a mock up, but like I said, I don’t know the full story.

Anyway, I digress. Here’s a mock up picture made by someone with the Bel Canto that shows it with blue hands. I think the biggest abomination though is that dial which looks like it’s made from those filters you get in gas pipelines. Personally I think I prefer the normal hands but I’m not especially a fan of the aesthetics of the Bel Canto anyway.

Failing that, you could always post your Bel Cantos off to Greatpotfarm for him to colour the hands in for you.

C4B984B6-2738-4ABF-837E-CF19B77B3909.jpeg
Parnis homage blue hands :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

iain wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 am Anyway, I digress. Here’s a mock up picture made by someone with the Bel Canto that shows it with blue hands. I think the biggest abomination though is that dial which looks like it’s made from those filters you get in gas pipelines. Personally I think I prefer the normal hands but I’m not especially a fan of the aesthetics of the Bel Canto anyway.
Looks like not only the dial has changed but also the beak and the on/off squiggle to make the blue hands tie in work and it ruins the overall look.

The Bel Canto is not for me but I agree the hands look best the colour they already are. It is the best design for a watch where the primary function is not legibility and there has to be some trade off. If anyone needs different hands and legibility is important this watch is probably not for them.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I think your all crackers, the legibility of the BC is rubbish and although there are other elements of the dial that should be shown off, the actual time telling element is still more important.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
Tonywalker
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

golfjunky wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:46 am I think your all crackers, the legibility of the BC is rubbish and although there are other elements of the dial that should be shown off, the actual time telling element is still more important.
Well legibility is only rubbish if you can’t read the time! :lol:

If you can, at a glance, whether close up, or at arms length, it really isn’t…

Fortunately I can. :)

Otherwise I would probably join the hordes of folk, that don’t own the watch and are restricted to looking at internet pics, to decide that the watch has poor legibility. :lol:

Mind you in taking that view, it is of course no different to random views, on other watches that they haven’t worn or handled. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 4):
golfjunkyBahnstormer_vRSChris375JasperCat
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

nbg wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:53 am

Mind you in taking that view, it is of course no different to random views, on other watches that they haven’t worn or handled. :)

Neil
Very true
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Handling watches makes a big difference to how you perceive them without doubt. This is particularly true of the very expensive brands imo.

Whilst I admired the Bel Canto from the start, the styling of the dial didn't appeal , I felt like many it was too much about the chime, and the dial itself could maybe have been larger. I'm quite prepared to admit that if I strapped one on my wrist I could be smitten.

This of course is a big problem for the internet age and of course this is why the 60 day returns exist. But sometimes even that's not enough to get you to open the wallet.....
These users thanked the author 5oclockhero for the post:
Tonywalker
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

5oclockhero wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:12 am
This of course is a big problem for the internet age and of course this is why the 60 day returns exist. But sometimes even that's not enough to get you to open the wallet.....
This has me thinking, is there any other product out there £3k or more that anyone would buy from only seeing on a screen
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
Tonywalker
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

^^^ I know people who have bought fountain pens for more than that just by seeing them online.

But, like watches, these are the sorts of products that people obsessively research beforehand as part of a collecting habit.
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post:
Tonywalker
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Safari and Indian Ocean trip.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

golfjunky wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:58 pm
5oclockhero wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:12 am
This has me thinking, is there any other product out there £3k or more that anyone would buy from only seeing on a screen
I'm thinking now....

every Omega limited edition
every Leica camera
every limited edition Porsche
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands