C65 Dune

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: C65 Dune

Post by asqwerth »

I don't see why a tough watch can't look dressy in a non-tool way. Wouldn't it just make it more versatile?

Just saying..... :D
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 2):
missFthomcat00
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I wondered how CW would make the applied logo, and that looks much better than the solution used on my C7's. I presume the same technique is being used on the FLE, and will become a standard feature.

Maybe it's 3 (or even 5) applied logos, carefully positioned by computers.
Maybe there is a base sheet applied to the back of the dial with pins/pegs pushed through the dial to hold the logo pieces (or even to the front of the dial and then dissolved where it's not needed).

Unless it's a trade secret, I think it would be it would be interesting to know how it's done. On reflection, I presume applied indexes need a similar solution also so that the digits in 10,11 and 12, and indeed any indexes are perfectly aligned relative to each other.

Anyway, 38mm is too small for me, but my favourite is probably the the bronze with the blue dial.

(Edit - but maybe the aquitaine and the dune are just too shiny, with the bright sunray dial, and the bright aquitaine bezel. At first glance, I am probably more drawn to the restrained sandhurst, sealander, and C60 bronzes treatments. )

Finally, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the watch that the model name "Dune" is mentioned. That prompted me to look at some other watches. My C65's don't say C65. My Rapide's do say Rapide, but not C7. My C60 does say Trident Pro 600, but not C60. Other brands are a mixed bag as well, Some give the model name, and others don't. I am just surprised that the model name is not shown somewhere on all watches.
aa_bcfc.
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by aa_bcfc. »

My next watch is likely to be bronze field style watch. I have been pondering between the CW Sandhurst or Hamilton Khaki Field. After reviewing, and being disappointed with, the Dune bronze I’m still left pondering between the Cranwell and the khaki.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:30 pm There is a timeline feature in the CW Archive https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/# ... 387_page=1

I've saved everyone the trouble of looking at it...

The most launches in a year was 40 watches in 2015. They typically launch 20 - 25 watches a year. If CW keep up the January pace they would launch 48 watches in 2023. I don't think that's going to happen, but who knows.
There will be quibbles about what constitutes a launch and I'm not going to give a definition I just chose to use the data in the CWArchive. Would I be surprised if they launched 30 watches in 2023 like they did in 2017? Again, probably not but I might prefer if they kept to the 20 or so launches and made each launch and product a bit more special.
I presume that the BC production schedule difficulties must be related to third parties, rather than CE directly, if it's not affecting general production, and other new releases.
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Not for me but the GMT is undoubtedly the star IMO.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

It's probably best to assume that the Bel Canto is a special case with it's own peculiar product scheduling issues due to third parties and its complexity compared to other CW watches. The rest of the CW range will undoubtedly suffer from the, now common, random supply chain issues which hit any watch company these days.
Production of new releases was probably signed off and scheduled months before we ever hear of them. A lot of things can go wrong between setting a production date and production actually happening, however.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

With the exception of the Bel Canto and maybe two others, all CW watches have the same hands and one of two dial designs - with or without blobs. The Dune looks like an aquitaine to me sans bezel, nothing wrong with that, but not really a new model.

I really like the white sand version with the camel strap. But it's too small. 40 or 42mm please.
These users thanked the author Caller for the post:
Jkpa
'Tis me
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

asqwerth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:09 pm I don't see why a tough watch can't look dressy in a non-tool way. Wouldn't it just make it more versatile?

I think that's what the young bloods call a GADA watch for Go Anywhere Do Anything? :lol: I think I'm supposed to categorise my Omega Aqua Terrae thus but I haven't yet plucked up the courage to wear one whilst chainsawing and splitting logs.

Anyway the range of Dunes: I am delighted for those who enjoy the smaller case and look forward to seeing new owner photos here. :thumbup:

What's next CW? :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
asqwerth
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I LOVE the new applied logo. That's what I've been looking for. I'm looking forward to seeing it across other lines!

The rest of the watch is a no for me. I was never crazy about the Aquitaine to begin with. The bezel was the star there IMO.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Post by widge34 »

Love the bronze green combo, but at 38mm it's too small for me
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

My understanding is CW identified a gap, folk that were looking for a field watch but did not want a military association. Unfortunately, the case size is too small for me. With their decreasing case sizes I’ve started looking at other brands. Hence, looking forward to the WatchIt! Watch Fair.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Rd77cad
CW-watches: 3

Post by Rd77cad »

Same, love the dial on the LE..would be tempted if they had a 40
----------------
Oris Big Crown Small Pointer Date
CW C65 Cranwell S1
CW C65 Dartmouth S1
CW C65 Chronograph
sturt

Post by sturt »

I think the aged lume looks better on some models than others. Unfortunately the GMT isn't one of them, it has too much contrast with the black (and sticks out because there's so much of it). Looks good with the sand and on the bronze especially.
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Loupe 28 dropped through my letterbox nice and early this morning. The sand dial looking rather nice on the cover.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

asqwerth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:09 pm I don't see why a tough watch can't look dressy in a non-tool way. Wouldn't it just make it more versatile?

exactly this. my two main non-dive watches are the omega AT and a sinn 556i (blue w/applied indices). both are tough watches that i could wear with pretty much anything, from a tux to swim trunks.

fwiw, not blown away here. there are some nice features, in particular the raised twin-flags logo. which feels several years too late, i think many of us said from the moment we saw the twin flags mark that it should be the primary marker at 12, it just took years for CW to see the light. gotta wonder if the timing of chris taking a step back is why this finally happened.
the "g" is for Greg...