C65 Dune

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
AJelley
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: C65 Dune

Post by AJelley »

I’ve been thinking that I need a bronzed beauty in my life - that green bronze auto might be just the ticket! Looks ace on the green leather strap 🥰
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

If any one at cw is reading this.. The applied logo is a winner. It has taken a long time but you have cracked it so stick with this now please!

As far as this release goes, yes it is nice but I don't really see what gap in the cw range this fills? I would have thought this covers the very same ground as the sealanders and to a certain extent the two 38mm military watches. Just an Aquitaine without the bezel.

No doubt they will sell fine but does anyone else feel the new releases are coming just a bit too thick and fast? :?
These users thanked the author stefs for the post (total 3):
AJelleysproughtonajax87
Cheers now, Paul
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

stefs wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 am If any one at cw is reading this.. The applied logo is a winner. It has taken a long time but you have cracked it so stick with this now please!

As far as this release goes, yes it is nice but I don't really see what gap in the cw range this fills? I would have thought this covers the very same ground as the sealanders and to a certain extent the two 38mm military watches. Just an Aquitaine without the bezel.

No doubt they will sell fine but does anyone else feel the new releases are coming just a bit too thick and fast? :?
Is it not just to use up all the left over cases?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

The applied logo is the star here. It looks fantastic. I’m now eager to see it on the FLE against the textured dial!

As for the rest of the watch, let’s just say it doesn’t have me regretting my C63 purchase. Apples and oranges I suppose, but I guess in this case I prefer the apples.

The sand is the stand out colorway. The vintage lume is a perfect compliment to the dial color.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 4):
tikkathreeajax87thomcat00keisuke_z
Drew
AJelley
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by AJelley »

stefs wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 am No doubt they will sell fine but does anyone else feel the new releases are coming just a bit too thick and fast? :?
It does feel a bit thick and fast, but the Bel Canto rerun might be contributing to that? Personally, I really like this addition - all the best things about the Sandhurst combined with the best things about the Aquitaine… It’s like balti & chips 😊
These users thanked the author AJelley for the post (total 2):
JAFOthomcat00
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

stefs wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 am If any one at cw is reading this.. The applied logo is a winner. It has taken a long time but you have cracked it so stick with this now please!

I wasn't convinced by the Aquitaine last year and the C65 Dune hasn't really changed my mind. I regard it as a line extension rather than a full on launch.
I don't think CW have changed their launch pace too much. The success of the Blue Bel Canto certainly prompted them to bring forward the green launch. The success of the green one prompted them to introduce other colours. Bel Canto aside though I don't know that they have changed their launch schedule too much. Launches generally coincide with new issues of Loupe with the exception of the November specials such as the C60 Concept and bel Canto.
It could be worse though. Seiko launched 500 watches globally last year...
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post:
thomcat00
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

stefs wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 am As far as this release goes, yes it is nice but I don't really see what gap in the cw range this fills? I would have thought this covers the very same ground as the sealanders and to a certain extent the two 38mm military watches. Just an Aquitaine without the bezel.
Exactly my thoughts. What’s the gap this feels? What’s the need this meets? I’m trying to understand the field watch moniker, as I don’t think it’s especially field watchy. I think a field watch needs numbers and a minute track on it, but maybe that’s just me.

On the heels of the Bel Canto, this feels…well, pretty boring actually. The marketing is more exciting than the watch. Something along the lines of the Sealander FLE would have been a far more exciting watch to follow up the Bel Canto with. One might come for the Bel Canto, but would he stay for the Dune?*
* FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m a bit biased against the Dune. The Aquitaine fell flat with me, so any model heavily drawing on it is unavoidably going to fall flat, too.
Drew
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

There is a timeline feature in the CW Archive https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/# ... 387_page=1

I've saved everyone the trouble of looking at it...

The most launches in a year was 40 watches in 2015. They typically launch 20 - 25 watches a year. If CW keep up the January pace they would launch 48 watches in 2023. I don't think that's going to happen, but who knows.
There will be quibbles about what constitutes a launch and I'm not going to give a definition I just chose to use the data in the CWArchive. Would I be surprised if they launched 30 watches in 2023 like they did in 2017? Again, probably not but I might prefer if they kept to the 20 or so launches and made each launch and product a bit more special.
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post (total 2):
sproughtonJAFO
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:59 am The applied logo is the star here. It looks fantastic. ......

As for the rest of the watch, let’s just say it doesn’t have me regretting my C63 purchase. Apples and oranges I suppose, but I guess in this case I prefer the apples. ........
stefs wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 am If any one at cw is reading this.. The applied logo is a winner. It has taken a long time but you have cracked it so stick with this now please!......
Didier.O wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:29 am Amazing applied logo, and the blue on bracelet is very nice, ......
missF wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:07 am The 38mm case is just a winner for watches like these ..........
I also totally rate the applied logo........
Totally agree with the comments above, especially regarding the applied logo, with the Marine Blue Auto and Black Sand GMT being the better looking IMO. The White Sand Auto is OK but I wonder about legibility and it's a bit "beige".

So far my feeling is "Yeah, it's nice enough but nothing is blowing my socks off" and my over-riding thought is that this is a chance wasted for a 3,6,9 dial option so I'll save my money for something else.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
jkbarnes
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

I can understand now why CW went and made a bronze Sandhurst with bracelet now... they intended it for this C65 Dune bronze too... really joined up designs and thinking :clap:

These are quite lovely, but tad too small for me I think :problem:
These users thanked the author JasperCat for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Just received launch email.

Another def no from me, beginning to sound like a broken record!

Recent releases have left me very underwhelmed, for many reasons. Prices, sizes, bird impressions to name but a few.

Give me a great C60 any day.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
tikkathree
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:29 pm ......
* FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m a bit biased against the Dune. The Aquitaine fell flat with me, so any model heavily drawing on it is unavoidably going to fall flat, too.
The Aquitaine was a bit meh for me as well, except for the bronze case cosc with blue dial. I especially thought the cream dial models were ...umm.... not very good looking.

However, after looking at some pics in the CWOTD thread, I later softened my stance towards the cream models to just 'meh'.

Despite all that, I actually think the "sand" model of the Dune series looks good.

And the black and sand dialed GMT model is very nice.

Unfortunately, I am really off the market for buying* any more watches of any brand. I'm happy to just wear what I have.

*Caveat: I have a watch that is a belated Christmas gift coming from my family overseas, though it has yet to arrive. :D
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Also just received launch email.
For me CW has been on a roll with good releases but this one gets a solid 'meh' from me. Others have a different view and that is all good.

Not a fan of diver-style indices on watches without a timing bezel, something is missing. The vibe is rather Black Bay 36 and I feel the same about that.
I'm in agreement also with Andrew -a field watch, if that what this is, needs numbers on the dial.
By comparison, Sealanders know what they are and I'm a fan.

The applied logo looks good though.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
Thunder1
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Not for me, either. No surprises there. Blob indices do absolutely nothing for me, and the white sand version is sallow to say the least.

As others have speculated, it looks like an Aquitaine without a bezel. Shades of Nursey from Blackadder 2?

The GMT would be the best of the bunch (sans blobs) but I have to ask myself in what way it could possibly score over or replace the Black Sealander GMT I already have.

I hope for something in the explosive sock-removal dept. from the next SH21.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:29 pm
stefs wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 am As far as this release goes, yes it is nice but I don't really see what gap in the cw range this fills? I would have thought this covers the very same ground as the sealanders and to a certain extent the two 38mm military watches. Just an Aquitaine without the bezel.
Exactly my thoughts. What’s the gap this feels? What’s the need this meets? I’m trying to understand the field watch moniker, as I don’t think it’s especially field watchy. I think a field watch needs numbers and a minute track on it, but maybe that’s just me.

On the heels of the Bel Canto, this feels…well, pretty boring actually. The marketing is more exciting than the watch. Something along the lines of the Sealander FLE would have been a far more exciting watch to follow up the Bel Canto with. One might come for the Bel Canto, but would he stay for the Dune?*
Andrew I always find it best not to overthink, where types of watches are concerned. :)

As far as I am concerned there are:

- Dive watches. Everyone knows what they look like and the originally intended use.
- Chronographs. Everyone knows what they are and intended purpose.
- Everything else!

In the everything else category there will often be detailed discussion and debate. Is it a dress watch, is it a sports watch, is it a field watch etc..

As far as I am concerned I just look at a watch and decide if I like it and whether it is fit for purpose, for how I intend to wear it. Everything else is just noise.

Now remind me what is the Bel Canto? What category should it be described as? When can I wear it? :)

Obviously the Dune isn’t likely to be as exciting as the brilliantly designed and conceived Sealander FLE. :) :wink:

For me the Dune is just a nice looking watch for those that prefer a raised crystal and plots to a nice looking watch with a flat crystal and baton indices. Overall exactly the same functionality. Numerous potential customers for both.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
AJelleymissF
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK