Holy cow!!! Bel Canto just sold for what $$$$?!?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Grand Seiko
Senior
Senior

Re: Holy cow!!! Bel Canto just sold for what $$$$?!?

Post by Grand Seiko »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:03 pm ^^^^ and CW are unlikely to ever disclose the number of pieces of the four Open Series colours; although there's a chance that Mike France might refer to them anecdotally in an interview at some stage.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
He did pop out the point that he expected 5 figures of volume based on the wait list so there is some chance he will fill in the story board a bit more.

I would expect that he is pretty happy to see how the LEs are doing in the secondary market, and I have to believe he is receiving lots of asks for interviews, so there should be multiple opportunities for him to share how the Bel Canto is doing.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:03 pm ^^^^ and CW are unlikely to ever disclose the number of pieces of the four Open Series colours; although there's a chance that Mike France might refer to them anecdotally in an interview at some stage.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
I would have thought they would be pleased to disclose the numbers, but I may be wrong. I also don't believe this is the end of the BC movement at all either. I am sure we will see it used in other clothing in the future.
DavidHRC

Post by DavidHRC »

Adding some data and color here here. For that eBay auction, there were four bidders vying above $6000, so there are some more buyers still standing in the wings for sellers. The winner was a last-second wonder, bidding only once, that I could see, and that was at the very end, topping a poor fellow who stayed in all the way from $500 to $8500, but losing at the climax by $1. Condolences, sir. The winner had almost no ratings history, while the runner-up had lots. That would have bothered me had I been the seller. I have had last-second (over)bidders stiff me on ebay.
These users thanked the author DavidHRC for the post:
JasperCat
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

DavidHRC wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:42 pm Adding some data and color here here. For that eBay auction, there were four bidders vying above $6000, so there are some more buyers still standing in the wings for sellers. The winner was a last-second wonder, bidding only once, that I could see, and that was at the very end, topping a poor fellow who stayed in all the way from $500 to $8500, but losing at the climax by $1. Condolences, sir. The winner had almost no ratings history, while the runner-up had lots. That would have bothered me had I been the seller. I have had last-second (over)bidders stiff me on ebay.
It has been a while since I have sold anything on eBay but you used to be able to give the runner up a second chance buy if the winner didn't pay. I would think that would be okay with both the seller and runner up in this case.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

rkovars wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:46 pm
DavidHRC wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:42 pm Adding some data and color here here. For that eBay auction, there were four bidders vying above $6000, so there are some more buyers still standing in the wings for sellers. The winner was a last-second wonder, bidding only once, that I could see, and that was at the very end, topping a poor fellow who stayed in all the way from $500 to $8500, but losing at the climax by $1. Condolences, sir. The winner had almost no ratings history, while the runner-up had lots. That would have bothered me had I been the seller. I have had last-second (over)bidders stiff me on ebay.
It has been a while since I have sold anything on eBay but you used to be able to give the runner up a second chance buy if the winner didn't pay. I would think that would be okay with both the seller and runner up in this case.
I seem to recall that it was possible to kill a bid from someone (especially if they don't pay).... it might be legit, but I'd also be worried about someone with a very low eBay rating, following through on this bid :problem:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

That's how they work thought isn't it. I'm sure many of us have lost to last second bids that look like bots.
I don't quite see how a bid of 8500 would get spiked by 8501, as generally the increments tend to be bigger, but maybe not in this case.

I have been on auctions where there is no spiking. Any bid extends the auction close by perhaps 1, 2, or even 5 minutes so you always get a chance to rebid.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Grand Seiko wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:06 pm For example 15,000 ordered, 13,000 in purple, 1500 in black, 490 in light blue, 10 in Rosa.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:44 pm That's how they work thought isn't it. I'm sure many of us have lost to last second bids that look like bots.
I don't quite see how a bid of 8500 would get spiked by 8501, as generally the increments tend to be bigger, but maybe not in this case.

I have been on auctions where there is no spiking. Any bid extends the auction close by perhaps 1, 2, or even 5 minutes so you always get a chance to rebid.
A lot of the big auction houses work this way. I would have thought the increment would be bigger too. I can't remember how eBay works though.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

JasperCat wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:33 pm
rkovars wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:46 pm
I seem to recall that it was possible to kill a bid from someone (especially if they don't pay).... it might be legit, but I'd also be worried about someone with a very low eBay rating, following through on this bid :problem:
There is always that chance. Here is the relevant info from eBay. The second chance offer is still there.
With a Second Chance Offer, a non-winning bidder gets the chance to buy the item at a price equal to their last bid. You can make Second Chance Offers up to 60 days after an auction ends.

It’s free to make an offer, but if the buyer accepts, you pay a final value fee.

You can use Second Chance Offers when:

Your winning bidder didn’t pay and you canceled the order
Your reserve price wasn’t met
You have more of the same item available for sale
In a few eBay Motors and Business & Industrial categories, you can specify the offer price as long as it’s less than or equal to the item’s reserve price.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
JasperCat
Jack London
DavidHRC

Post by DavidHRC »

UPDATE: Today, eBay has another Bel Canto up for $8,495, riding on the last sale. This is for an outright sale, no bidding.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204206003232?m ... name=11021
nightMD
Junior
Junior

Post by nightMD »

So I, too, own an unworn Bel Canto in blue. Still with stickers and on the titanium bracelet...Am I wrong to sell it?!? I'd love to make $4k on the 'bay, but something about selling it just feels wrong. Thoughts?
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

nightMD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:09 pm So I, too, own an unworn Bel Canto in blue. Still with stickers and on the titanium bracelet...Am I wrong to sell it?!? I'd love to make $4k on the 'bay, but something about selling it just feels wrong. Thoughts?
If you don't want to keep and wear it and just keeping it to collect, then why not sell it... it will unlikely ever be worth this much again, especially as soon as the open series hits the website very soon :problem:

Tempting though it is, I'm happily keeping mine... but go ahead, you bought and own it, so yours to sell if you want :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
birdfeeder

Post by birdfeeder »

nightMD wrote:So I, too, own an unworn Bel Canto in blue. Still with stickers and on the titanium bracelet...Am I wrong to sell it?!? I'd love to make $4k on the 'bay, but something about selling it just feels wrong. Thoughts?
If you haven't even unwrapped it the outcome is inevitable.
These users thanked the author birdfeeder for the post:
JasperCat
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

nightMD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:09 pm So I, too, own an unworn Bel Canto in blue. Still with stickers and on the titanium bracelet...Am I wrong to sell it?!? I'd love to make $4k on the 'bay, but something about selling it just feels wrong. Thoughts?
Just return it under the 60-day returns window and get a full refund, if you don't want it anymore. 8-[
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSGreatpotfarm
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

I don’t love any watch enough to say no to a $4k profit.

List that sucker and see what happens.
These users thanked the author Jkpa for the post (total 2):
rc51ownerJasperCat