Foggy dismay

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Re: Foggy dismay

Post by johncolescarr »

And it’s back…my poor poor watch.

I’ll not post again on this thread til resolved to stop bumping it up the chain On General Discussion
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Overnight in the airing cupboard is not long enough. My suggestion was 48 hours.

This, naturally, may or may not work.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
johncolescarrJasperCat
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

An update:

CW techs have assessed the watch, the water resistance is intact, so the conclusion is water ingress through the crown.

Being pedantic about crown position when swimming, I’m surprised by the result.

The repair cost is akin to a service and is called a movement and hand repair, so I’m guessing a replacement?

Happy with the price, but I have to admit I’m very nervous of swimming without a screw down crown now, I always followed the internet crowd that poo poo’d the screw down crown but it’ll be my Seiko turtle for swimming duty from now on
These users thanked the author johncolescarr for the post:
tikkathree
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

johncolescarr wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:54 pm An update:

CW techs have assessed the watch, the water resistance is intact, so the conclusion is water ingress through the crown.

Being pedantic about crown position when swimming, I’m surprised by the result.

The repair cost is akin to a service and is called a movement and hand repair, so I’m guessing a replacement?

Happy with the price, but I have to admit I’m very nervous of swimming without a screw down crown now, I always followed the internet crowd that poo poo’d the screw down crown but it’ll be my Seiko turtle for swimming duty from now on
More than likely it is just a straight service. As long as there is no damage from rust or other degradation then they will just clean, lubricate and regulate the movement etc. Given the time frame involved and your attempts to remove the moisture I think that the possibility of damage is low.

I always think about it as a light duty watch when there isn't a screw down crown. If it is just casual contact with the water (even light swimming) it is probably fine. If there is any type of heavy engagement, long open water swims, playing around in the surf, playing in the water with kids etc then a true diver is probably best. I've never seen anyone do any definitive testing but I believe that even pressure on the crown stem could break the seal enough to let in a miniscule amount of water. Do this several hundred times during a swim and you can see how the amount let in would add up.

Even screw down crowns are no guarantee. I have heard from divers who have unscrewed a crown on the back of a glove while working under water.

If you fool around in the water with watches long enough this is going to happen in all likelihood. The best course of action is to take care of it immediately as you did. The mistake some people make is that when the droplets inside go away they forget about it. Then years down the road when the watch stops the irreversible damage is done.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
johncolescarr
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:10 pm I had something similar a few years ago on a new watch that I had recently received from a warm and humid Australia, on a chilly UK winter's day.

I put it, with the crown unscrewed and pulled out, in a suitable sized food freezer bag with a handful of rice, sealed the bag and put it in my airing cupboard for 48 hours.

The fogging disappeared and no further issues were had.

Admittedly, it was not a diver and had not been near any water. However, I'll advocate the above measure for you, on a First Aid basis over the weekend.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
Rice by itself? That's not very tasty :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Leon O
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands