Why wouldn’t you wear this watch?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Why wouldn’t you wear this watch?

Post by atnits »

jmarchitect wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:29 am I’d wear it because looking at it every day would make me smile and remember not to take things too seriously. I’d be able to tell the time on it because by now, I know where the hands are in relation to hours and minutes. If for some reason I forgot, I’d be able to work things out by looking at the alternating black and white track running around the outside of the dial. I love it for its irreverence and cocking a snook at the staid and starchy.
Yep, I'd also happily wear it. :thumbup:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I wouldn’t wear it because it only was WR of 30m.

Other than that it’s ok. Easy enough to tell the time. A watch to bring a smile.

The world of watches doesn’t have to start and finish with dive watches and boring dress watch 3 handers. :)

I have reached the conclusion that many of you are far to set in your ways. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Stif
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:12 am I love the two tone strap set up too :wave:
I've got socks like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plus, I don't believe that to be a screwdown crown :silent:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I think it’s fantastic. As a few have said- a watch to make me smile. I could see me selling a bunch of watches then taking my time choosing an Alexander Shorokhoff creation.

The form / function equation is the thing though. I don’t mind that it has an ETA movement, but 30m WR probably isn’t enough. We’re way over towards the design side of the equation here! Also I like watches that have a timing function- even if that’s just a non-migraine-inducing minute track!

The other watch I have my eye on this morning is a 1970 Tudor jumbo Prince Oysterdate. Things could go either way! :lol:
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

I like that it exists, and it is a ‘serious’ design, not some junk piece. Would I wear it? Yes, certainly, but not as my only watch.
Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:56 am
  • No minute track
Surely there is! In black and white, you can’t miss it once you see it. :lol:
Bjørn
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

These users thanked the author atnits for the post:
asqwerth
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

The design/artwork is a little crazy. I guess it's somewhat interesting, but not as a watch dial.

I think if I wanted cute whimsical arty watch design, I would get the Ricochet or Number Cruncher models from Mr Jones Watches.

https://mrjoneswatches.com/
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I can’t find any reason why I would not enjoy wearing this watch, life is too short not to smile.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Because it’s bloody horrendous, it took me ages to see the hands, I have no concept of art :lol:
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

A 41mm square watch would likely wear very large. Not great for my wrist. But that’s the least of my worries. A bit pricey, the colors and design don’t make me smile in the least. It would be difficult to match to clothing.

But I would love to see someone else wearing it and comment on what a cool, unique watch they have!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

missF wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:16 pm
The other watch I have my eye on this morning is a 1970 Tudor jumbo Prince Oysterdate. Things could go either way! :lol:
You would like an Oysterdate of one form or another. I find these vintage ones are very dependent on condition, though, and dial choice makes a big difference. I found my gold/champagne one much more attractive than any others I'd come across.

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

atnits wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:13 pm
You would like an Oysterdate of one form or another. I find these vintage ones are very dependent on condition, though, and dial choice makes a big difference. I found my gold/champagne one much more attractive than any others I'd come across.
Thanks. It’s very hard obviously to know from pictures alone... The one I found is a jumbo - didn’t know they existed. The 38mm diameter with 20mm lug width to satisfy my need for a selection of vintage straps seems just the perfect size. I think I’d enjoy it more than a 36mm. I’d really like to clear my head and clear my watch box first!!
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

A little Shorokhoff Horrors it may be but I really like the spiral around the date window.

I’ve just checked the website and I like the AV3 more, and the caseback is rather nice too, and at €3,200 the price isn’t too much of a shorokh (I’ll get my coat).

C2D533A0-D260-42E9-B7DC-22D3589725A7.jpeg
2DF7D352-632F-4F83-82C7-9E154A2A598A.jpeg
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

atnits wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:13 pm
missF wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:16 pm

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I love these old Oysterdates. The single word “precision” works so much better than the current verbage IMO.
As for the other? I would overdose on anti-seizure medication before I figured out what time it was.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight