Hmmmmm... I think this is me!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Hmmmmm... I think this is me!

Post by missF »

I’ve spent periods of time in these cycles of watch consumption that seem to have little to do with what I need or even want.,, or - Why do I keep finding more and more things that I want?

An article about the Diderot Effect and how to counteract it (should you wish to counteract it of course!!)
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
JAFO
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Hmmmmm... I think this is me!

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thanks for this, Lindsey.

Sadly, in part, I can relate to the Didier Effect. :oops: :oops:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Me too…. every new watch is followed by a clutch of new straps, and in line with the second point below from the article, every time I reach a new price-point, I instantly re-evaluate what I consider to be an “acceptable” price for a watch, and so ever more brands & options now become “within reach” so to speak…

CC596F79-C58C-427A-AF32-0CBF3C2C0F99.jpeg
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
JAFO
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m not sure that it is completely a Diderot effect, especially if the acquisitive spiral remains confined to watches.

Had you decided, after any single watch purchase, that you needed a whole new outfit and accessories to go with it, it might be different.

I experienced something similar for a while, when considering travel destinations, especially with retirement coming up. I began to think of watches that would be perfect to wear in given situations. I was still slightly guilty of it when I acquired the UN a couple of years ago, but at least I have got hold of some nice watches recently! I believe I am now cured.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
JAFO
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:12 pm I’m not sure that it is completely a Diderot effect, especially if the acquisitive spiral remains confined to watches.

Had you decided, after any single watch purchase, that you needed a whole new outfit and accessories to go with it, it might be different.
I’ve considered buying a Jaguar car only since buying a Bremont Jaguar watch. Does that count?
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting question, Wyatt. I guess it rather depends on whether you would have got around to considering a Jaguar car anyway.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

0uatiOW wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:08 pm Me too…. every new watch is followed by a clutch of new straps, and in line with the second point below from the article, every time I reach a new price-point, I instantly re-evaluate what I consider to be an “acceptable” price for a watch, and so ever more brands & options now become “within reach” so to speak…

CC596F79-C58C-427A-AF32-0CBF3C2C0F99.jpeg
Regarding that panel included in your post...

I find that from time to time I have an absolute imperative to spend. It doesn't have to be a lot. It may be a conditioned response, but I just cannot fight off the compulsion to spend. Now it might be a watch, but it might be something less than a watch, such as a strap, or even something completely different, an item of clothing, say, or even just a wander round a food store. Then I'm ok for a week or so, until it builds again.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 am I’ve spent periods of time in these cycles of watch consumption that seem to have little to do with what I need or even want.,, or - Why do I keep finding more and more things that I want?
Straightforward case of human nature: you can't help yourself: none of us can!

I've spent most of the current Aliexpress sale fancifully listing "desireable" trinkets in a "wish list" knowing full well that the money would be better spent on a different continent. I know I shan't buy anything but I can't help looking. Ditto my EBay watching list :oops:
missF wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 am An article about the Diderot Effect and how to counteract it (should you wish to counteract it of course!!)
Get away from me! :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
JAFO
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

My immediate spending itch will be satisfied by purchasing a few straps from the resource on eBay highlighted by @TheBeatles in another thread.

I've also considered a AliExpress Seagull chronograph, and a couple of more expensive watches on eBay, but my wife said I have enough watches.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I won’t lie - I’m a buyer. I won’t apologize for it either. I find myself in a position now where I can save a good amount of money every month and still have a bit of disposable income to spend as I see fit. I do this guilt free.

While I don’t know that I suffer from a full in case of Diderot Effect, I do suffer occasionally from a variation of it. I call it “New Owners Enthusiasm.” It manifests itself this way - bought a new bike, and in my enthusiasm for the bike I’ve got to buy the accoutrements to go with it; or bought a watch and obviously needed to straps to go with it.

I’m not nearly as bad as I used to be. Going through a divorce and having to divide up the contents of the house introduced a strong urge to purge. This has been good in keeping a potential Diderot Effect Under control.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
JAFO
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I think my buying splurges are because I have too much time on my hands for scrolling around the place. I do love the hunt - mostly because I feel that out there somewhere is the perfect 38mm dive watch or the perfect vintage white face hand wind or the perfect GODO watch. And I’m the one to find it... and I’ll know it when I see it! :lol:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

missF wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:37 pm I think my buying splurges are because I have too much time on my hands for scrolling around the place. I do love the hunt - mostly because I feel that out there somewhere is the perfect 38mm dive watch or the perfect vintage white face hand wind or the perfect GODO watch. And I’m the one to find it... and I’ll know it when I see it! :lol:
Whatever you want, you probably already have it, though, Lindsey. Isn't that the point, at least partly.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

JAFO wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:50 am Whatever you want, you probably already have it, though, Lindsey. Isn't that the point, at least partly.
That’s entirely the point :D
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I'm guilty, I find an ideal object (call it a watch) for one situation, then I need to find the ideal watch for the next situation, and so the cycle goes...
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

When I first read this post I thought you were blaming a theory of one of the forumites @Didier.o :lol:
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way