First C1 Bel Canto resold

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: First C1 Bel Canto resold

Post by JAFO »

nbg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:28 pm
JAFO wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:05 pm I think it's possibly more like the Rolex solution.
If you had to register a watch (transferrable) to get the 60/60 then you would be able to identify flippers and refuse to sell to them a second time.

I think manufacture to order is more difficult to achieve, personally. The Bel Canto's are relatively small batches anyway.
Not sure what you mean with the comment about Rolex?

Neil
What I meant was, if you had to register ownership of the watch to use the 60/60 warranty, then CW would know who is flipping watches, and they could decline further sales. (As Rolex ADs do). Maybe they keep a record of which serial number everyone gets, but maybe not. Maybe they don't mind, but a lot of us find it irritating to lose out at sale time, and then see sale watches being flipped instantly.
JasH
Senior
Senior

Post by JasH »

Very annoying to see, as there are so many who would have loved to buy and wear this watch, rather than a flipper scalping watch enthusiasts.
These users thanked the author JasH for the post (total 3):
rkovarsChris3750uatiOW
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

It is now sold and apparently at the asking price. :shock:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

Reinforces the idea that the Bel Canto offered fantastic value for a watch of that capability doesn’t it? You would assume the buyer knew it was being marked up like that?

Delmar
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

WileyECoyote wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:41 pm You would assume the buyer knew it was being marked up like that?
Considering the intelligence and cognitive abilities of some people who appear to shop on eBay, it might well be dangerous to make such an assumption.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
WileyECoyotegolfjunkyajax87
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

Steve, you helped make my morning! I couldn’t stop laughing after I read your comment. You are so right!

Delmar
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from George Carlin:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 4):
JAFOtikkathreewelshladJasperCat
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

JasH wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:23 pm Very annoying to see, as there are so many who would have loved to buy and wear this watch, rather than a flipper scalping watch enthusiasts.
Similar to what happens during sale time.

Scalpers hoover up the deals and resell on eBay.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I’ll say it again, can only be good for CW. As for the seller, good luck to them.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

"Christopher Ward service department here: you recently bought Bel Canto #37? We need you to send it back for inspection please."
slight pause
" Sorry, you've done what with it?"

Honestly, I've seen no evidence to suggest that CW mind at all that units are flipped or sold on by first owners and, philosophically how does it matter whether I sell on my CW watch one month after purchase or one year?

I've not been following the Bel Canto threads here but do we know how many were purchased by existing forum members? Ten? Twenty? More?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia

tikkathree wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:11 pm I've not been following the Bel Canto threads here but do we know how many were purchased by existing forum members? Ten? Twenty? More?
I think we often lose sight of the fact that our little garden of horological loveliness is but a fragment of CW’s marketplace. To extend the analogy, we don’t want Mr and Mrs Chicken-McNugget and the Kids from the Dungeon Dimensions invading our secluded little hotel, shouting and splashing in our tranquil pool, hoovering all-inclusive chips and ice-creams and bathing in fizzy lager, thank you very much.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Richard D wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:38 pm I’ll say it again, can only be good for CW. As for the seller, good luck to them.
I agree good for CW. :thumbup:

But as to the seller - on this occasion I take a different view.

However as to those who sweep up CW sale items and stick them on eBay - yes good luck to them.

All they have done is purchase watches that anyone could generally have picked up on numerous occasions, from the launch of the model to when it ends up being reduced in a sale…

Hardly as if anyone has “missed out”!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

nbg wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:30 pm
Richard D wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:38 pm I’ll say it again, can only be good for CW. As for the seller, good luck to them.
I agree good for CW. :thumbup:

But as to the seller - on this occasion I take a different view.

However as to those who sweep up CW sale items and stick them on eBay - yes good luck to them.

All they have done is purchase watches that anyone could generally have picked up on numerous occasions, from the launch of the model to when it ends up being reduced in a sale…

Hardly as if anyone has “missed out”!

Neil
Everyone here with a ‘sellers mark’ has flipped a watch, this seller is no different.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia

Pretty much everyone who sells watches on here, however, has not bought them specifically to resell for a profit. Mostly we move things on when we grow tired of them or look to expand or reduce the collection, perhaps in a different direction. I’m not taking sides here, but I can see what Neil is driving at.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
watchaholic0uatiOW
Steve

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:23 pm
tikkathree wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:11 pm I've not been following the Bel Canto threads here but do we know how many were purchased by existing forum members? Ten? Twenty? More?
I think we often lose sight of the fact that our little garden of horological loveliness is but a fragment of CW’s marketplace. To extend the analogy, we don’t want Mr and Mrs Chicken-McNugget and the Kids from the Dungeon Dimensions invading our secluded little hotel, shouting and splashing in our tranquil pool, hoovering all-inclusive chips and ice-creams and bathing in fizzy lager, thank you very much.
Just a touch of self deprivating introspection? Ouch! :lol:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight