The Bel Canto has ruined everything.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

The Bel Canto has ruined everything.

Post by Macdaz »

Like most of us I regularly dream about what watch I would buy if I had a chunk of cash. It changes all the time but by way of an example, historic regulars to feature are the Omega Speedmaster and the Tudor Black Bay GMT.

I attended the Forum preview and the Bel Canto absolutely blew my socks off. I just don't have that money to spare at the moment. There are too many sensible things to spend it on but I found myself wavering and almost pre ordering. I have not been able to stop thinking about since. Hell I've dreamt about it and I have never dreamt about a watch before. Apparently I just kept going on about it to the point that the usually prudent (and entirely bewildered by my my love of watches) Mrs McD wanted me to get one. But I held fast with my sensible trousers on.

When the blue sold out I was relieved as it confirmed to me that the impossible was now impossible and I could stop thinking about it. Then came the green, which I didn't like as much as the blue but the impossible became possibly possible. But only for a matter of minutes and then it was gone. Again.

Since then I have been able to think about nothing else but how I might find £3k in case another opportunity comes along. It's making me yearn! But more importantly, and the reason why the Bel Canto has ruined everything, is that now every watch I look at seems dull, boring and unattractive and I'm just not interested.

This watch has raised the bar of what is achievable and attainable and for that I both LOVE and HATE you CW!

Nurse...My meds are wearing off!
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post (total 12):
David. SstraplinetikkathreeWileyECoyotealbionphotoJasHKalli64thomcat00Hughly 741Bahnstormer_vRS and 2 more users
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: The Bel Canto has ruined everything.

Post by missF »

So well written :clap:
I hope you get your dream. Or is the dream actually in the dreaming?? :-k :D
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

missF wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:33 pm Or is the dream actually in the dreaming?? :-k :D
You may well be right!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

"Held fast with my sensible trousers on."

A great post and the above really made me laugh. If I'm gonna take this watch buying thing seriously I really need to top up my wardrobe with some daft trousers...

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Macdaz
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

Great post with just the right measure of wit mixed with a twinge of seriousness. I will throw out another example for comparison. Why are some people are driven to work, such as building a business, & continue to make money long after it would seem they have enough? I have come to realize for some people, it isn’t so much about the money but the process of making it that they enjoy most. So, it can be with watches. Quite often we want what we don’t have. Whether it be the right Speedmaster or that Tudor BB. I am thinking that there can be a lot of joy derived from dreaming the dream. Like you, the release of the Bel Canto did get me to wishing for something that doesn’t make a lot of sense financially for me right now. I do have a priority list like remodeling a bathroom on our main floor, so we don’t have to go to our basement to shower! When I really think about it, there’s a lot of satisfaction in just knowing the Bel Canto exists. A week ago, I did not know what form it would take or how impressed I would be. I think that it is good for us have something like the Bel Canto, regardless of how attainable it may be at the moment. There can be a lot of joy drawn from process of doing so. And, sometimes dreams do come true!

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
Macdaz
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:33 pm So well written :clap:
I hope you get your dream. Or is the dream actually in the dreaming?? :-k :D
What is this life? A frenzy, an illusion,
A shadow, a delirium, a fiction.
The greatest good's but little, and this life
Is but a dream, and dreams are only dreams.

Pedro Calderón de la Barca**, La vida es sueño (Life is a dream)

** “The Spanish Shakespeare”
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
WileyECoyote
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

WileyECoyote wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:16 pm I think that it is good for us have something like the Bel Canto, regardless of how attainable it may be at the moment.
I really agree :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
WileyECoyote
colonels

Post by colonels »

the chime is really a novelty as are minute repeaters since there are obviously much better ways of telling time for the blind.

what stands out to me is the beauty of the watch. i was immediately drawn to the blue face with tan strap without even knowing it was an hourly chime mechanism!
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

welcome to the forum, colonels.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
colonels

Post by colonels »

i am on the waitlist for a 2023 Bel Canto production. i believe they sent out emails to everyone who missed out on the first 600 but still wanted one.

the email stated 1/3 deposit soon and they would detail color options. anyone know anymore?

i really fell in love with the blue dial with tan strap and hoping they re-offer that. i'm not interested in the green. curious if they are going to offer new colors?
David. S
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by David. S »

colonels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:39 pm i am on the waitlist for a 2023 Bel Canto production. i believe they sent out emails to everyone who missed out on the first 600 but still wanted one.

the email stated 1/3 deposit soon and they would detail color options. anyone know anymore?

i really fell in love with the blue dial with tan strap and hoping they re-offer that. i'm not interested in the green. curious if they are going to offer new colors?

As the blue and green were both LE, the next release will be another colour.

David.
These users thanked the author David. S for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRScolonels
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ There will be 300 thoroughly jarred off Blue Bel Canto owners, including me, if CW released a further Blue Edition. :grumble: :grumble:

Beyond the details in CW's email of c. November 19th there is no further information as yet.

The expectation(?) is of other colours beyond the existing Blue and Green.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 3):
Richard DJasperCatalbionphoto
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Macdaz - Have you been watching Inception? :-k :-k

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:48 pm @Macdaz - Have you been watching Inception? :-k :-k

Guy
I haven’t. I’ve actually tried three times and never got more than 40 mins in before falling asleep!
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:42 pm ^^^^ There will be 300 thoroughly jarred off Blue Bel Canto owners, including me, if CW released a further Blue Edition. :grumble: :grumble:

Guy
I would be more than ‘jarred off’, I’d be waving the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act. All products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described being the key rule. It’s a ‘limited edition’ watch of 300 and must be just that.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’