Whats coming today?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Whats coming today?

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I’ve never been a fan of the field watches, and this release hasn’t changed that.

The Dartmouth is ok, but I have the Mk1 in blue, so won’t buy. But…. If they released a black/ vintage version I’d be tempted (pretty close to being a three handed Orca)
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:40 pm I’m not an expert on royalty, but I imagine that the case backs were designed and produced before the Queen died. They might become collectors’ items as some of the last things to be produced with her insignia on.

In the same way, I would be sure that the Bank of England has been churning out coins and notes with the late Queen on them and will continue to do so until the portrait of the King is ready.
All military cap badges will change to a Kings crown as soon as practicable, my cap badge (80s and 90s) did have a Queens crown on. Like the military rules, which were called “Queens Regulations”, will become (or may already be) “Kings Regulations” 👍
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 pm At a quick glance, on my phone and without going to the CW website, I felt the Cranwell was the runt of the litter in the Series #1 iterations (nothing specific just a gut feeling), whereas in the Series #2 it's the pride of the pack.

However, if I'm reading the posts above correctly, if the Series #2 Dartmouth has a full lume dial, that's a game changer.

Purely my initial two pence worth.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
I actually prefer the original Cranwell, not just because I own one, but because in an aviation context, having minutes around the dial is actually more useful than hours… this is all speaking as an ex navigator though, which is/was a very specific speciality and so I have no problem with the new design either… it’s quite cool 👍
These users thanked the author JasperCat for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSrkovarsthomcat00
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 pm
However, if I'm reading the posts above correctly, if the Series #2 Dartmouth has a full lume dial, that's a game changer.

Purely my initial two pence worth.

Guy
I’d seen some mention of this, and thought it must be a mistake. I went to the website to check, and…

1229A816-80C0-4B3C-9747-D59CB00A990E.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSthomcat00JasperCat
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

All military cap badges will change to a Kings crown as soon as practicable, my cap badge (80s and 90s) did have a Queens crown on. Like the military rules, which were called “Queens Regulations”, will become (or may already be) “Kings Regulations” 👍
Beat me to it, but quite correct: older (e.g. WW2 era) cap badges have the "King's crown". All other institutions are now "His Majesty's ..."

Back to the watches - I can see that these fit the design languages of the current range, but I preferred the Mk 1 versions.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
JasperCat
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Oof yeah, hard pass on a fully lumed dial.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Meh. The faux vintage lume is so 2015.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post (total 2):
albionphotoMikkei4
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

^ And the new style hands just make the faux lume all the more obvious on these, which to me is not a good thing. I do like the bronze Sandhurst and think the faux lume works pretty well on it. But the new hands look really out of place on these and overpower these smaller dials. I do like how they made the Cranwell smaller and the inside track (whatever that is called) gives that dial a bit more interest. I am really glad I have the old version of the Sandhurst. I am not a fan of the Dartmouth at all, and can't really put my finger on why. Just meh.
These users thanked the author Rice and Gravy for the post:
Leon O
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
jterran

Post by jterran »

My daily wear is a Sandhurst V1. Love it. Don't see a need to change to the V2, although I do like the change to the sword hands for V2--in the V1 version, the minute hand will completely cover the hour hand making it less legible. I wish the Sandhurst V2 had ditched the faux lume altogether. That watch would look great with pure white lume all over.

Question whether they should have switched Cranwell markings to hours rather than kept at minutes.

I'd buy the Dartmouth V2 if it had white lume like the original Dartmouth. Disappointed it's gone all in with faux.
These users thanked the author jterran for the post:
JasperCat
shasty89

Post by shasty89 »

Created an account just to express my dismay at the Dartmouth Series 2.
Faux lume looks terrible. I had high hopes for Series 2, but now I'll have to wait for Series 1 to come up in used markets.
Don't understand this design decision at all.
These users thanked the author shasty89 for the post (total 2):
rc51owneralbionphoto
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by nowttolose »

shasty89 wrote:Created an account just to express my dismay at the Dartmouth Series 2.
Faux lume looks terrible. I had high hopes for Series 2, but now I'll have to wait for Series 1 to come up in used markets.
Don't understand this design decision at all.
Yep, the series 2 is a shocker and not a patch on the series 1 which I have the blue version picked up in the Jan sale.
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN