Whats coming today?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Whats coming today?

Post by Richard D »

Sorry not for me. In fact, nothing has caught my interest since the C60 #tide, the ever decreasing case sizes have not helped. For now I will stick to what I have and just maybe something in the future will catch my imagination. In the meantime, wishing CW every success with these ‘military’ watches.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesalbionphoto
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Regarding the lume, was it not originally developed (the dangerous radium stuff) precisely so that field officers could see the time at night? :-k
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:43 pm Regarding the lume, was it not originally developed (the dangerous radium stuff) precisely so that field officers could see the time at night? :-k
Lume yes. Fully lumed dials, no. They probably didn't on the originals to save cost. Military watches were on the whole cheap for the government to buy.

When the line is heavily influenced by the military esthetic, they should stick to it. Just my opinion. I don't think the new Dartmouth looks anywhere near as good as the old one.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
rc51ownerJasperCat
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:43 pm Regarding the lume, was it not originally developed (the dangerous radium stuff) precisely so that field officers could see the time at night? :-k
Not sure, was it? If it is in keeping with that, great stuff.

I don't know much about the military etc and personallly would not look to buy any watch with a military association. If they put the tech in a standard diver etc that would be of interest so good to see the emergence of the new dial approach anyway.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

If there are any Royalty experts on the forum, I am curious about the MOD insignia on the caseback. It looks like they are still using the same MOD insignia as they used on the first version when Queen Elizabeth was alive. Do you know if the MOD will be changing crowns on their insignia to a Kings crown now that Charles is King? If so, I would assume that CW would have to change the insignia on their casebacks.
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
JasperCat
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m not an expert on royalty, but I imagine that the case backs were designed and produced before the Queen died. They might become collectors’ items as some of the last things to be produced with her insignia on.

In the same way, I would be sure that the Bank of England has been churning out coins and notes with the late Queen on them and will continue to do so until the portrait of the King is ready.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
mvlow
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Wow, I find all three disappointing, the Dartmouth especially so! There doesn’t seem to be a vision behind the revisions beyond slapping what look like Aquitaine hands on them and “Aquitainizing” the Dartmouth. None of it, in my opinion, speaks to what the point of these models was when initially released.

This is a big swing and a miss for me.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 4):
Richard DLavaineMacdazJasperCat
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

A1soknownas wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:55 pm Not sure about the new logo use on these models. Fits on the C60 300 as a modern look, not so much on classic or more vintage inspired models in my view.
100% agree. Just doesn’t seem to fit the original vibe.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Richard D
Drew
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Purely a personal view as this is just about liking what we like.

I've been thinking about a Dartmouth recently, would probably never get one as it feels wrong to wear something bearing the insignia of one of the Armed Forces when I have never served in any of them, but I was thinking about it as I liked the V1.

I think the new Dartmouth feels like a completely different watch rather than an evolution. As for the others, they are 'ok' but I preferred the original versions. Nothing to do with the logo, I'm fine with either, they just don't do it for me. So I continue where I've been for a good while now that there is nothing in the current line up that I want. Which is ok, they don't just make watches for me!
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post (total 2):
golfjunkyBahnstormer_vRS
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:48 pm There doesn’t seem to be a vision behind the revisions beyond slapping what look like Aquitaine hands on them and “Aquitainizing” the Dartmouth.
"Diver all of the things!" - Mike France, probably.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
jkbarnes
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:48 pm There doesn’t seem to be a vision behind the revisions beyond slapping what look like Aquitaine hands on them and “Aquitainizing” the Dartmouth. None of it, in my opinion, speaks to what the point of these models was when initially released.
This is how I am feeling about it as well. As I stated earlier in the thread I thought it was a strange line for experimentation. The fully lumed dial would seem more at home on an LE 300 or Aquitaine.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesRichard D
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Just me that likes the new Dartmouth then with all its lovely loooominess!
Cheers now, Paul
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

stefs wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:15 pm Just me that likes the new Dartmouth then with all its lovely loooominess!
Pretend it is just another Aquitaine and buy away! :thumbup:
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:53 pm This is how I am feeling about it as well. As I stated earlier in the thread I thought it was a strange line for experimentation. The fully lumed dial would seem more at home on an LE 300 or Aquitaine.
Spot on, as was the observation about the swish being more modern and in keeping with the 300 Pro.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

ajax87 wrote:New Cranwell has old C5 aviator vibes!

I’m not a fan of the Dartmouth and Sandhurst though. The sandhurst looks way off with those hands and the swish only.

1F0AEDDB-7EBE-4DF8-AECC-D4F6D0E366AD.jpeg
At a quick glance, on my phone and without going to the CW website, I felt the Cranwell was the runt of the litter in the Series #1 iterations (nothing specific just a gut feeling), whereas in the Series #2 it's the pride of the pack.

However, if I'm reading the posts above correctly, if the Series #2 Dartmouth has a full lume dial, that's a game changer.

Purely my initial two pence worth.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
JasperCat
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England